Author Topic: Windows 10 – Be VERY Careful!  (Read 2451 times)

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
Windows 10 – Be VERY Careful!
« on: August 02, 2015, 06:31:57 AM »
http://www.armstrongeconomics.com/archives/35542

[/Once again, Microsoft screwed the world with its Windows 10 feature called Wi-Fi Sense. This nasty feature has serious legal implications for it will automatically connect your personal Wi-Fi network to anyone in your e-mail list using HotMail, Skype, or Outlook, and even Facebook, making those friends questionable. If any such person comes within range of your home Wi-Fi, they could secretly access your system from hundreds of yards away.

The real problem with this is rather sinister. The government would no longer need a search warrant for your surrendered privacy; good luck finding a judge who will uphold the rights that exist only in your imagination.

I just saw the new “Terminator” movie. The AI computer that decides to eliminate humankind begins as a system called “Genesis” with exactly the same profile – to connect you to everyone instantly. While I do not believe that we are dealing with such a creature, I do worry about the full Stalinistic powers this provides the government, as this will grant them access to hunt down anyone who dissents from their view. Suddenly, we all become the next Snowden since disagreeing with the government is now TREASON. Such powers are not necessary, and while Windows 10 supposedly allows you to opt-out, this setting is the default – they know what they are doing. The vast majority of people do not understand computers and they will be surrendering all rights to Microsoft without understanding what they have done. Why is Microsoft acting in such a hostile manner towards human rights?
quote]

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: Windows 10 – Be VERY Careful!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 10:54:55 AM »
I've been working with Windows 10 for almost a year now. The earliest versions of 10 impressed the heck outta me because the the installation was to fast and effortless. The presented product worked better than its Win-8 predecessor. One of the issues that used to occur with every new version of Windows was a healthy jump in the hardware requirements. With Win-10 I was installing onto 6 and 7 year old machines without any apparent sluggish performance hit. On brand new hardware it just screamed.

But there was issues, troubling issues. The "Metro apps" like the store, mail, maps, weather, etc, all required you to log into a Microsoft account (MSN, Hotmail, or Live). They simply wouldn't work without one. I made the mistake of using one of my existing accounts and discovered that it busied itself copying all of my personal data to the "cloud". So I purged the backup and deleted that profile from the computers and then created a dummy account for testing.

The next thing I discovered was that I had no control over Windows Updates. I've always measured the patches and updates and only installed what I thought important (I recognize that not all people are interested enough or technically savvy enough to do this). With Windows 10 they took away the selectivity feature and busted off the gate valve in the wide open position. "So where's the harm?" one might ask. For me it came in the form of an system update. I came home one day and realized that, in my absence, the machine initiated a 4 gigabyte download of a new version of the evaluation software. Since that machine is on metered internet it exhausted the entire month's data plan overnight. (when I'm doing something that data intensive I usually take it to work and use their data plan ;')

The WiFi thing was the next blow to my confidence of their new OS. We had already been hit by Comcast's idiotic data-sharing scheme. If you haven't heard about it the idea is that if you are a customer and if you own a laptop then Comcast would like to make it easier for you to be mobile. So if Comcast detects that you are in the presence of another Comcast hotspot it will connect you. In other words it opens your router to use by anyone who is a Comcast  user. Notice I said user and not subscriber. If a subscriber gives the password to connect to their router to anyone, that anyone can now connect to your router. Neat trick, eh?

Microsoft is looking to do the same thing.

I've done a 180 on Windows 10 and now recommend that people do not upgrade - at least until some of this bullsnot is ironed out.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 01:37:47 PM »
I'm so glad I switched to Linux. Now if I could just talk my wife into letting me do the swap on her desktop....
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 08:41:28 PM »
I will refuse to update my home system...even though the  ::cussing::  reminder WILL NOT go away!   ::gaah::

At work I don't care, their ass not mine, not that I have a say...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 03:30:26 PM »
I hate Apples politics,  but they do build far better computers.   Never have issues like this. 

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 07:00:31 AM »
Interesting article about MS 8/1/15 PP changes and the discussion in the comments between the author and a MS guy is interesting too.

http://www.freemansperspective.com/must-dump-microsoft-now/

Bottom line, unless you have deep pockets...true anonymity and privacy is probably out of our reach...we can mitigate by going to Linux and masking software etc etc...but if BigGov wants something they've probably already hoovered it and merely need to look.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.