Author Topic: Jackie Cooper (1922 - 2011)  (Read 4082 times)

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
Jackie Cooper (1922 - 2011)
« on: May 05, 2011, 04:56:02 AM »
Jackie Cooper , popular child star of the 1930s and "Perry White" in the Christopher Reeve "Superman" films died 3 May 2011 . In his autobiography "Please Don't Shoot My Dog" , Cooper related his many Hollywood adventures which included an affair with Joan Crawford when he was 18 years old and his various films co-starring Wallace Beery who Cooper said was the meanest man he ever knew .

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Jackie Cooper (1922 - 2011)
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 06:56:16 AM »
Well there's a name I definitely remember, but I couldn't have named a single role, or said whether he was currently alive or dead. I guess now I know.

RIP Jackie Cooper. Your generation was better than ours.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 07:24:33 AM »
RIP Jackie.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 09:31:34 AM »
RIP. I think he was a mice man.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 09:32:26 AM »
In the 50s, I remember a show (name escapes me) that had a bassett hound named Cleo.
I think Cleo didn't talk but thought out loud.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 09:41:54 AM »

[blockquote]
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/42906194/ns/today-entertainment/

"He was a fascinating guy who really did everything, from all different aspects of the business," said his other son, Russell Cooper.

After four years in the Navy, he returned to find his career had slumped.

"I managed to find work, but it was in low-budget pictures," he recalled in 1971. "I couldn't see myself continuing like that.

He went on to direct more than 250 half-hour and hour-long series episodes, 16 two-hour movies and numerous pilots and commercials. At one point he vowed he would never act again. But he returned for an occasional role, most notably as gruff Daily Planet editor Perry White in the "Superman" films.

"Like so many of those jobs, the honeymoon was over after the first two years," he remarked. "Then you find yourself spending all your time trying to sell your bosses on what you want to do. My last selling job was 'The Flying Nun.' They kept telling me that people wouldn't watch a show about Catholics." He persisted, and the series starring Sally Field became a hit.

After almost 50 years in the business, Cooper thought of retiring in the early 1970s. Then producer Mike Frankovich offered him a role in "The Love Machine," and a film to direct, "Stand Up and Be Counted." He continued with occasional acting roles and a heavy schedule of directing for television
[/blockquote]

People that never stop producing are remarkable; people in the movie business that continue to produce after that brief shooting star period are exceptional.  

RIP Mr. Cooper

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 10:01:36 AM »
I remember seeing him acting in tv shows and because I'm weird listed as director for tv shows. He seemed out of the same category of male actors like James Garner and Robert Conrad.

RIP
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 11:39:59 AM »
In the 50s, I remember a show (name escapes me) that had a bassett hound named Cleo.
I think Cleo didn't talk but thought out loud.

Topper?

Cooper was good as Perry White in the Superman films.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 11:47:40 AM »
Pandora, I couldn't remember the name of the TV show if you had a gun to the head.

Topper was a movie, wasn't it?

I looked up his filmography and it was "The People's Choice"

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 12:04:54 PM »
Pandora, I couldn't remember the name of the TV show if you had a gun to the head.

It was both; Cary Grant played George Kerby (the dead husband) in the movie - 1937, and Leo G. Carroll played Topper in the TV series - 1953.

I am now, officially, a dinosaur.   ::oldman::
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 12:45:37 PM »

Dinosaur, ha.

Topper was one of my favorites; oh boy!

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 12:45:50 PM »
"I am now, officially, a dinosaur"

Me. too
At least  I'm in good company

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 01:01:47 PM »

It was both; Cary Grant played George Kerby (the dead husband) in the movie - 1937, and Leo G. Carroll played Topper in the TV series - 1953.

I am now, officially, a dinosaur.   ::oldman::

And I am definitely a child of 70's & 80's tv!  The only Topper I know about is the tv remake  with Kate Jackson in the late 70's.
  :-[
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."