Author Topic: Electric Grid Reliability Fears Increase Due To Climate Rule  (Read 1443 times)

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Electric Grid Reliability Fears Increase Due To Climate Rule
« on: September 03, 2015, 12:10:24 PM »
http://morningconsult.com/2015/08/electric-grid-reliability-fears-remain-in-wake-of-climate-rule/

It probably goes without saying that planning for a post-grid world is more prudent than thinking the grid will always be there, but sometimes it has to be said...repeatedly.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 09:35:52 AM by Libertas »
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: Electric Grid Reliability Fears Remain in Wake of Climate Rule
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 02:03:15 PM »
It's difficult to plan long term. Most of us have generators but what value do they hold once the fuel is gone? I would wager that few of us have made positive contingency plans for the possibility of going it alone for months or years.

And that means reverting Luddite style to the 19th century. I wonder how long the trees in my neighborhood would last?

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Electric Grid Reliability Fears Increase Due To Wake of Climate Rule
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 07:11:08 AM »
Yeah, people think fighting for their water rights will be as big a deal as protecting their gardens, but there are trees and animals too...resources of every kind are going to be jealously and violently defended.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 09:36:25 AM by Libertas »

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 07:37:10 AM »
It's difficult to plan long term. Most of us have generators but what value do they hold once the fuel is gone? I would wager that few of us have made positive contingency plans for the possibility of going it alone for months or years.

And that means reverting Luddite style to the 19th century. I wonder how long the trees in my neighborhood would last?

the 19th century had liquid fuels - both ethanol and kerosene - The original Model T could run on either as well as gasoline.  The Fuel won't be gone. It will be expensive perhaps, but I doubt its flow won't be cut off completely.  Moonshine is going to continue to be made, and therefore ethanol to power a generator or a vehicle will be available. You won't be able to have 24/7 power, but with careful usage you can probably keep a freezer frozen and have a few hours of electricy a day to work with . 

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 08:26:51 AM »

the 19th century had liquid fuels - both ethanol and kerosene - The original Model T could run on either as well as gasoline.  The Fuel won't be gone. It will be expensive perhaps, but I doubt its flow won't be cut off completely.  Moonshine is going to continue to be made, and therefore ethanol to power a generator or a vehicle will be available. You won't be able to have 24/7 power, but with careful usage you can probably keep a freezer frozen and have a few hours of electricy a day to work with .

What you're describing is life in a rural environment. The various metropolai won't be able to shift gears and the populations will perish and disperse. The suburban areas (like where I live) will be overrun and resources overwhelmed.

I guess this is reminding me that I need to select a remote small town to resettle into before the fall.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Electric Grid Reliability Fears Increase Due To Climate Rule
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 09:39:22 AM »
I had to modify the thread title slightly...I copied it from the article, but these fears about the grid are not anything new and they would not have gone away if this climate crap hadn't come along...but the climate crap will definitely and justifiably increase those fears!

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 03:23:58 PM »
What you're describing is life in a rural environment. The various metropolai won't be able to shift gears and the populations will perish and disperse. The suburban areas (like where I live) will be overrun and resources overwhelmed.

Still missing the downside.  Urban areas are 80%+ libtard cesspools of scum and villainy

I guess this is reminding me that I need to select a remote small town to resettle into before the fall.

Um. Yeah.  Or at least have a place to bug out to.