Author Topic: In Vermont, the Stupid burns hot  (Read 1616 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
In Vermont, the Stupid burns hot
« on: October 01, 2015, 11:32:10 AM »
http://iotwreport.com/vermont-the-land-of-bernie-is-seeing-a-mass-exodus-of-college-aged-students-because-there-are-no-jobs/

Linked article - http://watchdog.org/240168/college-students-doubt-jobs/

This is effing hilarious!

In a survey conducted by the Vermont Department of Labor and St. Michael’s College, more than 60 percent of graduates, and 75 percent of seniors, said they planned to leave Vermont after college — or said they already left.

Just 39.8 percent of graduates said they were staying in Vermont post-graduation, and only 24.5 percent of seniors said they plan to stay, according to a statement from the governor’s office.

Among graduates who already left, 36.6 percent cited a “reported lack of job availability” as the reason for leaving. Of seniors who plan to leave, 38.1 percent said a “reported lack of available jobs” would be a key factor.

Responding to the news, Gov. Peter Shumlin blasted negative “perceptions” and touted 2,000 job openings among employers who attended the Labor Department’s mid-September job fair. Cabot, General Dynamics, Green Mountain Power and Dealer.com, among other companies, are “clamoring for the exact graduates who are leaving our state,” Shumlin said.

Despite Shumlin’s protestation, state and federal labor data suggest the students may be on to something.

According to forecasts from the Vermont Department of Labor, occupations with the highest number of projected annual openings in Vermont are cashiers (539), personal-care aides (370), food preparation and fast-food workers (362), retail sales people (344), waiters (332), carpenters (202), registered nurses (183), maids and house cleaners (171), landscapers and groundskeepers (154) and child-care workers (152). Of these occupations, nursing alone requires a college degree.

While the department’s list of “fast growing” occupations in Vermont includes statisticians, information security analysts and food scientists, just 15 openings were projected for all three occupations.

http://watchdog.org/240168/college-students-doubt-jobs/

::hysterical::

And yet, as if an entire population is hypnotized...the link between ruin and the progs you allow to call the shots is somehow missed!

In such cases...most of the people living there deserve this sh*t!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Re: In Vermont, the Stupid burns hot
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 09:53:59 AM »
WTF is a "food scientist"?
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 10:38:08 AM »
Per Wiki, food science is "the discipline in which the engineering, biological, and physical sciences are used to study the nature of foods, the causes of deterioration, the principles underlying food processing, and the improvement of foods for the consuming public".[1] The textbook Food Science defines food science in simpler terms as "the application of basic sciences and engineering to study the physical, chemical, and biochemical nature of foods and the principles of food processing".[2]
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 02:53:33 PM »
Not noted that out of those "top" jobs all have less then 1,000 openings.  In fact only cashier was over 500.   I am guessing the "actual openings" (meaning an employer is actually looking for a new employee, not just running an ad) as even LESS then that.    The amount of open jobs could be filled by one college's grads by itself,  let alone all of them and the amount of regular unemployed that are about.   It probably doesn't help that Vermont's COL is on the high side as well.

Out of those "jobs"  only the nursing and carpenters will lead to decent pay for most that enter.    And its hard to even get into carpentry anymore as no one is willing to train new people.    If Vermont is like my area of Indiana,  where unions control the training programs,  they really don't train anyone.   It would lead to union halls being full of unemployed people driving down wages. 

It far more then Vermont.   Where people are going too,  I don't know,  as there really aren't any GOOD places to go.   The real employment rate nationwide is probably 30-35% at the moment.  I have never seen it this bad.   You can't even get a cr@p job to get by anymore. 

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 07:19:30 AM »
Per Wiki, food science is "the discipline in which the engineering, biological, and physical sciences are used to study the nature of foods, the causes of deterioration, the principles underlying food processing, and the improvement of foods for the consuming public".[1] The textbook Food Science defines food science in simpler terms as "the application of basic sciences and engineering to study the physical, chemical, and biochemical nature of foods and the principles of food processing".[2]

Pantry Manager just doesn't have the right ring...   ::hysterical::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 07:22:52 AM »
Not noted that out of those "top" jobs all have less then 1,000 openings.  In fact only cashier was over 500.   I am guessing the "actual openings" (meaning an employer is actually looking for a new employee, not just running an ad) as even LESS then that.    The amount of open jobs could be filled by one college's grads by itself,  let alone all of them and the amount of regular unemployed that are about.   It probably doesn't help that Vermont's COL is on the high side as well.

Out of those "jobs"  only the nursing and carpenters will lead to decent pay for most that enter.    And its hard to even get into carpentry anymore as no one is willing to train new people.    If Vermont is like my area of Indiana,  where unions control the training programs,  they really don't train anyone.   It would lead to union halls being full of unemployed people driving down wages. 

It far more then Vermont.   Where people are going too,  I don't know,  as there really aren't any GOOD places to go.   The real employment rate nationwide is probably 30-35% at the moment.  I have never seen it this bad.   You can't even get a cr@p job to get by anymore.

Only the ignorant think it is not horrible...when the bureaucrats keep moving people off the books to make the official unemployment numbers look better you know you are neck deep in stupid...and isn't it funny that the recent upticks in crime haven't been linked to unemployment or illegal immigration?  Not a mistake, on purpose.  The anti-immigrant/anti-austerity angst sweeping Europe is quietly ticking away here...