Author Topic: New Study Contradicts Government Warnings About Salt  (Read 4127 times)

Offline Janny

Re: New Study Contradicts Government Warnings About Salt
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2011, 05:06:28 PM »
All foods are on the food pyramid. The proportions are not agreed upon by the "experts." that was my point. Many experts maintain that our obesity problems are related to "too much sugar." Others say we consume too much fat and calories. Still others claim it's "portion sizes." Diet fads come and go, and people lose weight, only to put it back on again. My sister has lost the same 25-30 lbs. About 50 times in the last 35 years. Losing the weight and keeping it off requires lifestyle changes she simply isn't willing to make, but she keeps looking for that magical diet that will work for her.

The point about the broccoli is that nothing but broccoli all day long, every day, is not healthy as a diet, because you are not getting all the nutrition you need by eating only that. Even though it's widely considered to be a "healthy" food. "Lots of fruits and vegetables" is a good concept, as long as it's balanced with fat and protein.

Nutrition, diet and weight maintenance are indeed very complex. And unfortunately they are not very well understood.  Add into that mix, the people who want to get research funding, who set out to deliberately demonize certain things, and you get mass confusion. The problem with these studies is that they demonize certain things and then people are afraid to consume them, even in moderation.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2011, 05:14:32 PM »
In terms of saturated fat concerns, a very large 2010 study from the Harvard School of Public Health found “there is no significant evidence for concluding that dietary saturated fat is associated with an increased risk of Coronary Heart Disease or Cardiovascular Disease.

http://www.meatmythcrushers.com/myths/myth-americans-eat-too-much-meat.html

Home link.

Rats.  Forgot the H/T to EW1(SG)

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Janny

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2011, 05:19:15 PM »
I guess my point is that modern research often cause more problems than it solves. For instance, the cholesterol myth. They promoted for years that cholesterol in the diet was horrible, horrible, horrible! What they failed to do was inform people of the other factors for heart disease, as well as clarifying that cholesterol is not a bad thing! Not only is it not a bad thing, it's an essential substance that our body produces for a specific purpose. I guess we are all too stupid to be given ALL the information so we can decide for ourselves what is best for us.

Another good example of research run amok is the skin cancer scare. They have gotten people afraid to go out in the sun for five minutes without globbing a bunch of chemicals on your skin that are worse for you than a moderate amount of sun exposure. So, now we have people developing vitamin D deficiencies because of their great "advice."

Then, there is the opposite side of the coin, where a little of something is deemed to be good for you, and people consume massive amounts of it thinking a lot is even better! Case in point: dietary fiber. A certain amount is very good, but once you pass a certain level, the nutrients in your food get bound up in the fiber and excreted, instead of being absorbed as they are supposed to be.

Generally speaking, if you are consuming a lot of one thing, on a daily basis, chances are you are going to end up being deficient in something else. A balanced diet, with a variety of foods is the healthiest way to go. and what works for you might not work for someone else!
Sadly, one of these days, there is going to be a legitimate "study" done that might save lives, and people won't pay any attention to it because they are tired of seeing one "scare" after another debunked by subsequent studies!

Offline Janny

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2011, 05:20:47 PM »
In terms of saturated fat concerns, a very large 2010 study from the Harvard School of Public Health found “there is no significant evidence for concluding that dietary saturated fat is associated with an increased risk of Coronary Heart Disease or Cardiovascular Disease.

Home link.

They have KNOWN this for YEARS, and it is just starting to become common knowledge, now. This study just confirms it!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2011, 05:28:57 PM »

Home link.

They have KNOWN this for YEARS, and it is just starting to become common knowledge, now. This study just confirms it!

I just recently twigged to this myself - the last year or so.  I'm waiting and hoping for a more widespread and definitive debunking of the "dietary/saturated fat" misinformation, but I'm not counting on it.  The funders and the fundees are too invested in the status quo.

Both you and Lady Virginia have cogent and sensible points on this issue as regards generality and individuality with respect to dietary practices.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2011, 06:01:01 PM »
Both you and Lady Virginia have cogent and sensible points on this issue as regards generality and individuality with respect to dietary practices.

Thanks. I find it a fascinating topic.  There are obviously dietary causes for some of our health problems in this country.  We have diseases here that other countries don't experience but when those folks come here their rates of those diseases increase.  So there is a connection but  I don't think it has  has been adequately explored.  Everyone from the scientists to the eater wants one magic answer. And so "we" latch on to the latest study when it's way more complex and requires more attention than anyone wants to give it. If it was as simple as don't eat such and such or eat more of this we wouldn't have these ongoing health problems.

Now off to make pizza!  ::cool::

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

charlesoakwood

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2011, 06:04:46 PM »
As I understand it, CAD is associated with high LDL and low HDL.  They are of the opinion fat contains or induces the body to produce LDL.  They don't have a clue about HDL, the anti-LDL, creation.  When it is better understood they will quit grasping at straws.