Poll

What will the Pentagon do about the F35 ejection seat issue?

Spend whatever it takes to make sure gal's & dandy's can be safely ejected!
1 (50%)
Get gal's & dandy's to fatten up!
0 (0%)
Scrap the program.
0 (0%)
Doesn't matter/who cares?
1 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: What will the Pentagon do about the F35 ejection seat issue?  (Read 4031 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
What will the Pentagon do about the F35 ejection seat issue?
« on: October 22, 2015, 11:40:28 AM »
I am not thrilled either way...

::facepalm::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline richb

• Established Member
Re: What will the Pentagon do about the F35 ejection seat issue?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 05:58:44 PM »
Maybe use Biden as the test dummy

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 08:36:33 PM »
The F35 project seems to be a perfect nexus of "Pork Spending" Meets "Design By Committee"

"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 10:07:40 PM »
I have to ask:  WHAT ejection seat issue?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 06:20:30 AM »
I have to ask:  WHAT ejection seat issue?

I was clueless, too. They're forcing us to do research. The bastages. ::laughonfloor::

http://www.businessinsider.com/f-35-pilots-under-200-pounds-are-at-a-serious-level-risk-of-fatal-whiplash-2015-10

Problems with the F-35's ejection seat and helmet could make certain emergency escapes from the plane potentially fatal for pilots weighing less than 200 pounds, Roll Call reports.

Low-speed ejections from the aircraft, which could become necessary in emergencies during take-off or landing, could cause fatal whiplash or extreme injury because of ongoing issues with the ejection seat and the heavy weight of the F-35's helmet.

Plus Canada sees what a fustercluck the whole deal is and will pull out, taking their money and going home. Leaving the U.S. taxpayer to foot the bill. I'm shocked.

And then this little tidbit.

A report from an F-35 pilot in June detailed how the new plane is less maneuverable than the F-16 fighter that it was built to replace. This resulted in the F-35 underperoming during a mock dogfight with the earlier plane.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 09:34:01 AM »
Thanks, Alan.

So, it looks like the Feds' crony "capitalism" has found yet another way to kill our own service people.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 07:28:40 AM »
Did I forget a link?   ::facepalm::

I submit myself for properly adjudicated discipline.   ::unknowncomic::  Be gentle!

Yeah, apparently gals and dainty men are too light and subject to injury during ejection.   ::)

And yeah there are other problems...it's like they forgot the 70's & 80's and sh*tcanned everything John Boyd came up with and decided to go back to making an everything for everybody and ended up creating the prototypical POS nobody wants...except the crony capitalists and the congresscritters they have on a leash...

Swell, eh?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 07:23:18 AM »
OK, the trickle of issues for the F-35 we've covered...

https://itsaboutliberty.com/index.php/topic,13705.msg149429.html#msg149429

https://itsaboutliberty.com/index.php/topic,11585.msg131052.html#msg131052

https://itsaboutliberty.com/index.php/topic,6196.msg69262.html#msg69262

https://itsaboutliberty.com/index.php/topic,2447.msg27755.html#msg27755

...and now the full list of issues is exposed...

The status of deficiencies

According to a June 2018 report by the Government Accountability Office, the program had 111 category 1 deficiencies on the books in January 2018. By May 24, 2018, that number had decreased to 64 open category 1 problems out of a total 913 deficiencies, according to one document obtained by Defense News.

Another document obtained by Defense News noted that at least 13 issues would need to be held as category 1 deficiencies going into operational tests in fall 2018.

The 13 deficiencies include:

The F-35’s logistics system currently has no way for foreign F-35 operators to keep their secret data from being sent to the United States.
The spare parts inventory shown by the F-35’s logistics system does not always reflect reality, causing occasional mission cancellations.
Cabin pressure spikes in the cockpit of the F-35 have been known to cause barotrauma, the word given to extreme ear and sinus pain.
In very cold conditions — defined as at or near minus 30 degrees Fahrenheit — the F-35 will erroneously report that one of its batteries have failed, sometimes prompting missions to be aborted.
Supersonic flight in excess of Mach 1.2 can cause structural damage and blistering to the stealth coating of the F-35B and F-35C.
After doing certain maneuvers, F-35B and F-35C pilots are not always able to completely control the aircraft’s pitch, roll and yaw.
If the F-35A and F-35B blows a tire upon landing, the impact could also take out both hydraulic lines and pose a loss-of-aircraft risk.
A “green glow” sometimes appears on the helmet-mounted display, washing out the imagery in the helmet and making it difficult to land the F-35C on an aircraft carrier.
On nights with little starlight, the night vision camera sometimes displays green striations that make it difficult for all variants to see the horizon or to land on ships.
The sea search mode of the F-35’s radar only illuminates a small slice of the sea’s surface.
When the F-35B vertically lands on very hot days, older engines may be unable to produce the required thrust to keep the jet airborne, resulting in a hard landing.

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2019/06/12/the-pentagon-is-battling-the-clock-to-fix-serious-unreported-f-35-problems/

OK, even considering each new weapons platform has its share of bugs and deficiencies to resolve and scratch off the punch-list...but given the price tag on this sucker and the plethora of Cat1 issues...it's starting to sound like a very expensive pig in a poke that will struggle to meet even 50% of its wished for performance demands and I may be charitable on the percentage.

The PTBs response?   All is well, growing pains to work through...full (funding) speed ahead.

I still think the Silent Eagle (F-15E) needs to rise and the F-35 needs to be capped and cut!