Author Topic: I mostly despise celebrities  (Read 1211 times)

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
I mostly despise celebrities
« on: November 02, 2015, 12:44:50 AM »
All the pictures you'll find of me are with family and friends. Lets face it, they're what's important. However, during a Patriot Guard mission yesterday delivering care packages to vets in nursing homes and assisted living homes, I had the honor of meeting the most interesting man I know. His name is Mr. Donald Blanchard in New Iberia, LA. Mr. Donald is a WWII vet and a survivor of the Battle of the Bulge. At 90 yrs old, his mind is still sharp and he still gets around well. As you can see from this crappy cell phone pic, Mr. Donald recorded quite a bit of his time in the European Theater with photographs. We spent way too much time letting him tell us stories about way too few of the pics as we had way more vets to visit.

I just had to ask Mr. Donald if he would give me the honor of taking his picture with me, which he gladly agreed to. You can bet I'll get back to Mr. Donald to get more information on him and his adventures in the near future!

Thank you for your service and sacrifice for our country, Mr. Donald. And God Bless you! ::USA::

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: I mostly despise celebrities
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 07:39:32 AM »
Indeed, thanks to men like this we got as much time as we did.  They did their duty, many who followed did as well and a few still do.  ::USA::

It is probably a blessing they don't have to be alive to witness the final descent into oblivion.  I hope you get back to him Alan and relay his story, perhaps if we can muster half as much courage these men possess we can survive our coming ordeal.
 ::praying::

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 09:47:56 AM »
That's a cool thing you're doing AlanS!

At 90 years old Mr. Donald was the same age as my pop - mere 19yo kids at the time of the Battle of the Bulge. It's difficult to imagine the mindset of those guys, at that time, and in that situation. There were 89,000 casualties with up to 19,000 killed. Seeing so many of their buddies perish they had to be wondering "Is this my last day?" and with the offensive taking place in a brutal winter they must have wondered "Will I ever be warm again?"

Thanks for sharing this.  ;)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 10:44:34 AM »
Indeed.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"