Author Topic: Rancher slain in Idaho  (Read 5315 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Rancher slain in Idaho
« on: November 03, 2015, 07:39:11 AM »
http://www.ktvb.com/story/news/local/2015/11/02/isp-investigating-officer-involved-shooting-in-adams-county/75036826/#

I don't know what the heck this is all about.

If a rancher shows up with a rifle and says not to shoot his bull is it OK to go Twin Peaks on the rancher for interfering with on-site LEO decision to put the bull down?

Seems a bit extreme to me, even if the rancher was mad and pointing the rifle in their general direction I bet if the cops put their guns down to calm the situation down it would not have ended in slaughter.  Something isn't right here.  We'll see how "independent" this investigation is.  I'll grant it is not advisable to point any kind of gun at a cop now days, but this is a rancher and his animal, not a banger and his whore...it seems to me a deescalation effort should have been made and I am not certain one was even tried.

Sad.  Rancher dead, bull dead and ranchers wife in the hospital with a heart attack after hearing her husband was shot dead by deputies.

What a suck day.

Hope she recovers from her physical as well as emotional trauma and the truth about this can see the light of day.   ::praying:: 
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Rancher slain in Idaho
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 09:57:59 AM »
Withholding judgment on this one until further information...
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 07:09:47 PM »
Withholding judgment on this one until further information...

Hopefully the truth comes out.

Prayers for the wife. ::praying::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 11:59:54 AM »
So far...as in similar situations...there is a vast gap between official statements (which are scant on details or have no details beyond a standard boilerplate meme...but read this...it sounds like my de-escalation/escalation point was prescient and the details listed by the family if accurate illustrate this rancher was executed by these Deputies.

The family of an Adams County rancher involved in an encounter with two sheriff’s deputies says the deputies killed him in a “completely unjustified” shooting.

Survivors of Jack Yantis, the 62-year-old who died a week ago in the darkness on U.S. 95 north of Council, say they will pursue claims against Adams County for Yantis’ death.

Donna Yantis spent her 63rd birthday Thursday at Saint Alphonsus Regional Medical Center in Boise, where she has been recovering from a heart attack she suffered after her husband was killed.
Donna Yantis spent her 63rd birthday Thursday at Saint Alphonsus Regional Medical Center in Boise, where she has been recovering from a heart attack she suffered after her husband was killed. Provided by the Yantis family
Family members have shared with the Statesman their account of what happened last Sunday night. The account is in written statements prepared with attorneys the family hired after the incident, a video statement Donna Yantis made from her Boise hospital bed, and a draft transcript the lawyers prepared of one family member’s account of what happened.

The Statesman also interviewed several family members, including Rowdy Paradis, a nephew of the couple’s who said he witnessed the shootings.

“Law enforcement should be trained to de-escalate situations,” said Rowdy Paradis. “In this case, I stood 10 feet away and watched two deputies escalate the situation and needlessly kill a man.”

Sheriff Ryan Zollman did not respond Saturday to an emailed request for comment on the family’s account or to a message left with a sheriff’s dispatcher.

Here is what the family says happened on Nov. 1:

A PHONE CALL AT DINNER

The Yantises, Paradis (pronounced PAR-a-dis) and a family friend, Joe Rumsey, were finishing dinner about 6:45 p.m. Sunday in the Yantises’ home near milepost 142 of U.S. 95, about 6 miles north of Council.

An Adams County Sheriff’s Office dispatcher called. One of the family’s bulls had just been hit by a car on the highway, and the Yantises needed to go take care of it.

In rural open range, collisions between vehicles and livestock are not uncommon. Ranchers often must put down the injured animals. Jack Yantis had unfortunately done it before.

Yantis had raised and tamed the 2,500-pound black Gelbvieh bull, similar to an Angus, named Keiford. Its rear leg was shattered by the collision with a Subaru station wagon. The bull started charging people at the crash scene.

Paradis walked down to check out the situation. The injured bull had made its way back to the driveway and was lying in the grass.

“He knew he was home,” Paradis said. “He was hurt. But he is still an Angus bull on the fight.”

DEPUTIES SHOOT BULL

Jack Yantis told Paradis to get a rifle, the family’s skid-steer loader (a small front-end loader) and a chain. Paradis in turn asked his aunt to the get the family’s .204-caliber rifle and bring it to the road.

Yantis took a small all-terrain vehicle, in this case a four-wheeler, down the driveway and parked it on the highway facing the animal.

While Paradis was getting the skid loader, the deputies started shooting at the bull. At least one of them had a semiautomatic rifle, perhaps an AR-15, an adaptation of the military M16.

“They opened up with their pistols and their M16s ... before Jack got there,” Paradis said. “That’s an inhumane deal. ... This is a 2-ton Angus bull that’s pissed off, he’s hurt and psychotic. ... It was blazing down there and it sounded like World War III on this bull, because they got him charging at everyone again.”

Paradis drove the skid loader down the driveway and parked on the highway. The bull was lying on the pavement. Donna Yantis had walked the rifle to her husband. Jack Yantis was standing about 4 feet from the bull, aiming the rifle at the back of the bull’s head. His back was to the two deputies, who were standing in the far lane facing each other as if they were having a conversation.

“I put the (skid loader’s) lights on him and the bull, and he lined up to shoot the bull in the back of head and put him out humanely,” Paradis said.

DEPUTIES SHOOT YANTIS

The rifle’s barrel was about 2 feet from the bull, and Jack Yantis’ finger was on the trigger.

“Everything was going as planned. … I did not notice any conversation at all” between Jack Yantis and the deputies, Paradis said. “Then the one cop turned around and grabbed his shoulder and jerked him backwards.”

The deputy came from behind, spun Yantis around and grabbed the rifle’s scope, Paradis said.

The deputy pushed Yantis. The rifle was still in Yantis’ hands, its barrel pointed at the ground. Yantis was trying to regain his footing.

Paradis said he does not know whether the rifle fired, but he thinks it might have discharged accidentally when the deputy grabbed Yantis and spun him, or when one of the deputy’s bullets pierced Yantis’ hand holding the rifle, hitting the gun and damaging it.

One deputy began shooting at Yantis, then the other deputy started shooting.

HANDCUFFS AND A HEART ATTACK

Donna Yantis said she and Paradis screamed at the deputies to stop.

Shot in the chest and abdomen, Jack Yantis fell to the ground. Neither deputy went to check on him. Paradis and Donna Yantis started running toward him.

“And then they threatened me and my nephew ... threw us on the middle of Highway 95, searched us and handcuffed us, and wouldn’t let us go take care of Jack,” Donna Yantis said.

Paradis said one deputy pointed his gun at Paradis’ head.

Donna Yantis had a heart attack. Some time later, she was taken by ambulance to Midvale and then by helicopter to Saint Alphonsus Regional Medical Center in Boise, where she remained hospitalized Saturday.

Rumsey, the family friend at dinner, had been near the wrecked car when the shooting started and ran toward Jack. The deputies handcuffed him, too.

‘IT WAS A SENSELESS MURDER’

One deputy said he had been grazed by a bullet, Rumsey said. “I asked him, ‘Where?’ I said, ‘That’s bull----.’ There was no blood, no torn thread, no powder burn. There was nothing.”

After the shooting, Paradis said, the deputies’ demeanor was “smug” and “almost celebratory.”

A deputy walked over, pulled Yantis’ rifle from under his body and threw it into the grass.

“There was no shootout. It was a senseless murder,” the Yantis’ daughter, Sarah, told the Statesman.

Meanwhile, the bull was still alive, slowly bleeding out on the roadway. Family members asked the deputies to put it down to end its suffering. No one did.

“The bull ended up lying there for two hours,” Paradis said, “suffocating in his own lung blood because they shot him in the gut.”

Cynthia Sewell: 208-377-6428, @CynthiaSewell

POLICE, FAMILY LAWYERS SEEK WITNESSES
The two Adams County deputies are on paid leave pending an Idaho State Police investigation into the Nov. 1 shooting.

“ISP reassures those involved in this incident, their families and the public at large, that they are committed to complete a thorough investigation into this incident to determine exactly what transpired,” spokeswoman Teresa Baker said in a news release last week.

“ISP detectives are continuing to conduct interviews and are methodically examining each piece of evidence. Physical evidence will be sent to forensic labs for analysis in hopes of revealing further facts that will help piece together the events that unfolded that night.

“The testing of forensic evidence and an investigation of this nature takes time, and ISP and the Adams County Sheriff’s Office request patience as the investigation process continues. There will not be any information or comments on the evidence involved in this incident until the investigation is complete.”

ISP will submit its findings to a prosecutor who will decide if charges will be filed.

Rowdy Paradis said he has already met with an ISP detective and will meet with him again soon.

“Outside of Jeff Brown with Adams County Sheriff’s Office, Idaho State Police were the first people to treat any of us as humans, let alone victims,” Paradis said. “(The detective) has been very comforting to talk to.”

ISP asks anyone who witnessed the events leading up to, or after, the shooting to contact them at (208) 884-7110.

The Yantises’ attorneys, Matthew Taylor and Paul Winward, of Boise, also want to hear from witnesses or anyone with information about the shooting. Contact them via email yantis@taylorlawoffices.com.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/article43654638.html

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 07:25:13 AM »
There's another little tidbit missing. The deputies were supposedly wearing body cams which aren't turned on and neither was the cruiser camera. How is it they were both turned off? I read somewhere that the rancher was going to squeeze off the humane shot when a deputy yanked him hard enough to force a miss. It was the Rancher's responsibility to kill the animal and the morons refused to allow him to proceed .
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 08:22:08 AM »
Yup, his beast and (duh!) he had the expertise in dealing with it, not the cops.

And those cams?  You are correct!

Adams County Sheriff Ryan Zollman told the Statesman that there were two body cameras worn by the deputies and one vehicle dash camera at the scene. The dash camera, however, was not even on; Zollman didn’t say whether the deputies’ body cameras recorded the incident.  Idaho State Police spokeswoman Teresa Baker was not able to verify how many cameras might have captured what happened.

Anybody else smell anything really funky?

Dash cams have been around since the fricken 80's!  They had to have turned it off before leaving the vehicle.

And how can they say they have body cams but not know how many were on or what they recorded?  This happened Sunday evening.  The fate of the body cams had to have been known within an hour if not less.  They we being worn or they weren't.  They were worn and on or worn and not on, or they were worn and on and turned off mid-encounter...or they were worn and on and recorded everything.

So, what have these clowns been doing with the cameras for the past 36 hours or so?   ::thinking::

If there is exonerating evidence they would have announced it quickly.

If there is any kind of questions about what it showed or if in fact they were intentionally turned off before the fateful moment then the police can only be buying time to mitigate the damage to their department and are in an internal struggle as to how to proceed.  The presence of witnesses makes it almost a certainty the officers face trial, unless the DA is a moron and/or a payoff of the family is in play.

I guess we'll find out, either way this looks, smells and feels dirty as hell.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 08:25:20 AM by Libertas »

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 10:45:38 AM »
As far as dirty goes, the intent of the deputies is in question and the very existence on the sheriff's squad is in question. I mean to say, in an rural area dominated by farms and ranches, why in the hell were they even hired if they didn't understand the situations that may arise?

The idiots couldn't even put the animal down or was it they were looking to get off some live target practice(sick bastards) upon a farm animal. WTF has happened to our country? Wait, don't answer that, I already know as well as we all do. They kicked the concept of God to the curb and raised government to fill that vacuum. ::pullhair::
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 02:34:32 PM »
This is what happens when police agencies now deliberately cultivate an imperious, arrogant demeanor in their "public servants."  It attracts people who are basically high functioning sociopaths to the job.  And I don't doubt for a minute they opened up on that bull because they wanted to see what their ARs would do to something other than boring paper targets.

A good reporter would be looking into possible animus between the rancher and the sheriff's department or local government.  Seems weird that they would in any way interpret a threat from someone who they themselves called out to the scene in order to dispatch the bull.

We're dancing right on the line these days.  The people are not going to just grin and bear it, indefinitely.  When official justice becomes impossible, people will make their own.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 02:42:00 PM »
Yup.

And the Do-As-I-Say-Not-As-I-Do leaders are not setting good examples, they bend, break or make law up on the fly as it suits them...sooner rather than later people are going to stop listening and just start acting the same way.

Why not?  The rules are for chumps, suckers and fools.  They send that message non stop 24/7/365.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 07:13:05 AM »
The Adams County Sheriff's Office has released the names of the deputies involved in the fatal shooting of Council rancher Jack Yantis on Nov. 1.

The two deputies were identified Monday afternoon as Cody Roland and Brian Wood.

The sheriff's office said Roland has been employed as full-time deputy by the Adams County Sheriff’s Office since July 2015 but has been an Idaho certified peace officer since 2000.

Wood has been employed by the sheriff's office since June 2013.

http://www.nwcn.com/story/news/local/2015/11/30/deputies-named-council-ranchers-shooting/76588190/

Still, no mention of video, no explanation of why a rancher was gunned down...

::upsidedownflag::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 03:17:20 PM »
Whatever.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/northwest/idaho/article222333690.html

That's the bare minimum due to the family...I would add that the state executioners still deserve to have two-dozen rounds pumped into each of them!