Author Topic: NCAA politics bites  (Read 8988 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
NCAA politics bites
« on: November 04, 2015, 07:58:17 AM »
Pathetic.  Nothing new under the sun, but still, what a joke.

I have no horse in this race so I like to think myself objective...

Alabama & Notre Dame with loses ahead of Baylor, MSU, TCU & Iowa?  And Memphis & OK St should be higher as well.  And undefeated Toledo and Houston being shoved that low below all those 2 lose teams seems a bit harsh, I bet either one could kick Northwestern's butt.

Oh well, nothing worth getting too worked up over, a complaint of luxury and that's about it...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
Re: NCAA politics bites
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 09:07:35 AM »
This Iowegian isn't going to worry too much.  If we win out, we'd be in the top 4.  Because winning out would require us to beat either Michigan State or Ohio State in the Big 10 Championship.

Teams up there will have to start playing each other, sooner or later.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 11:24:16 AM »
Yup, I could see OSU, Mich St & Mich beating each other senseless, the survivor limping into the B10 final and Iowa upsetting them.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 03:45:38 PM »
One WILL be undefeated.  Then OSU or MSU WILL be in the top 4, guaranteed.  If an undefeated Iowa then knocks off the champion of that division, Iowa will have to be in the top 4.

Baylor and TCU are to play, I believe, and also OSU.  The winner of all that will be in the top 4 if still undefeated.

Clemson did beat Notre Dame, so they'd deserve it, if undefeated.

If LSU wins out, they'd deserve it.

I don't have too many problem with this.  Now if Iowa won out and got screwed out by Notre Dame or Alabama...   ::pullhair::

But I don't think Iowa will win out.  They usually do choke one they shouldn't.  I'll call it.  At Indiana. 

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 05:06:43 PM »
Notre Dame is, probably, over-rated

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 06:52:58 AM »
Alabama really hasn't played anybody up to this point, that will change with them facing off this week, and I suspect that is part of the reason these idiots snuck Alabama into the top 4, to manufacture more hype for the big match with the visiting Tigers.  It would be big anyway, but I suspect the more they can hype it up the more they can suck out of advertisers.

TCU and OK St also face off and I know both have a date with Baylor, so one of those will float up.

Clemson hosts FSU and that could be a better game than people think.  And I would love it if Pittsburgh tagged Notre Dame with a second loss, but if the can't Stanford at the end could, and if Stanford wins out they could put pressure on any other remaining 1 loss teams.

And if Baylor wins out with the teams left on its plate there is no way they are left out.

Florida could be a spoiler in the SEC, but it will be tough for any to knock LSU down.  We'll know more after Saturday.

PS-I hope you are off in your call on Iowa, MNHawk...if they lose I hope it is only against Minnesota.   :D

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 08:24:55 PM »
Just a thought. Sometimes it's easy to stay undefeated when the toughest team you've played so far is the Sister Mary School of the Blind.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 07:03:54 AM »
Well crap, they ginned up the match and sure enough Alabama finally beat "somebody" and back in the mix they go.  Looks like the Baylor/OK St winner will resolve the fourth spot...notwithstanding league championship upsets.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 08:15:54 AM »
Well, shows what I know.  They beat Indiana.  Now all of a sudden, Nebraska looks like a tough game.

If Nebraska could take both MSU and Iowa out of the picture, despite their bad season...   ::thinking::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 10:11:15 AM »
Not giving the Gophers any shot in Iowa City, eh?

Our QB (finally!) is playing well past few weeks...if they can keep it close...who knows?

But I wouldn't bet my bottom dollar on an upset...

but at least our season isn't Missouri-stupid!

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 10:33:31 AM »
Not at home, I don't.

Yeller rodents haven't won at Iowa since 1999.

Last year

Iowa 51 Minnesota 14

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 11:17:57 AM »
How did you guys manage to avoid hard B10 teams this year?  You beat WI & NW, but we had to be abused by then #2 TCU, then #15 Michigan, then #16 NW, #3 OSU and now #9 yous guyz!  You won't have a tough match up until the B10 Championship game.

It's not fair, must be racist!  I demand an investigation and somebody innocent should resign for failing to obey my demands!

/

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2015, 12:06:13 PM »
Wisconsin and Northwestern would still be 1 loss teams if not for Iowa.  It's not our fault Nebraska has pretty much sucked, this year. 

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2015, 12:08:06 PM »
It is, it is your fault...you border their state more than we do.   ::pokeineye::   ;D

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2015, 03:45:48 PM »
TCU and Memphis lost. TCU couldn't stop a middle school from scoring. LSU isn't winning out, Alabama took care of it. They took the Heisman frontrunner and...well....Oklahoma state needs to be higher. Fla barely beat a bad Vanderbilt team. Couple other will sort themselves out once they play each other.

I'm not a Bama fan, far from it, but they deserve to be where they are. They took the loss to Ole Miss personally and I don't see anyone beating them again. Ohio State is defending champ, so no matter what I think of their schedule, they need to be there too.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2015, 07:45:39 AM »
Not a huge fan of Alabama either, but when you can basically snatch up the best talent in the country you should win a lot of games and be in a lot of big post-season action no matter how tough your conference is.  They are in and LSU is out, they don't have anybody tough on their schedule until the SEC Championship game and I don't see Florida upsetting them, might as well write them down in ink.  But they should not be ranked higher than Ohio State or Clemson as long as those two stay undefeated.  Clemson should win out but will have a tough match up with NC for the ACC Championship, an upset is possible but Clemson looks really strong to me.  Ohio State has @ IL, Mich St & @ Michigan and the latter two would love to upset them but OSU should be favored in all of them and would face Iowa in the B10 Championship, definitely the tougher overall road to navigate IMO.  The big wildcard is the B12.  Baylor has OK, @ OK St, @ TCU & TX left and those first three will be competitive, while OK St has @ IA St, Baylor & OK, so the road for Baylor looks tougher than OK St who gets two tough games at home.  And how would a one loss B12 team stack up against other 1 loss teams?  And then there is Notre Dame and Stanford lurking...with the game at the end of the season in Palo Alto deciding the fate of both.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2015, 06:20:01 PM »
1.Clemson
2.Alabama
3.Ohio St.
4.Notre Dame
5.Iowa
6.Baylor
7.Stanford
8.Oklahoma St.

Now if, and that's a big IF Baylor or Oklahoma State wins out, I don't see how you could screw them over by not one, but TWO one loss teams getting in ahead of them.

As for Iowa? 

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2015, 07:00:21 AM »
This is mostly politics until the only one that counts at the end of the regular season...

Like floating Alabama up I think they're floating Notre Dame and Iowa up to see how they respond to their new lofty status...it's almost as if they are daring them to live up to their status or choke on it.  The same principle in play for the B12 teams being on the outside looking in (they want them angry).  If either Baylor or OK St end undefeated they will be in, the only thing mucking that up is both being one loss teams at the end.  I would expect them to float Stanford higher going into that Notre Dame game so the hype around it can suck more greenbacks out of advertisers.

I would like to see the Gophers upset you guys, you'll be the third Top-5 team we've played this year and we've played those teams better than we played Northwestern or Nebraska for Cripes sake!!!

::)

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2015, 08:33:03 AM »
7PM Saturday, Big Ten Network, Prime Time.

Bring it!

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2015, 03:45:26 PM »
I think Alabama deserves to be there.
Notre Dame, not so much.

I root against Notre Dame every week (if I bother to pay attention)