Author Topic: Best Post-SHTF Asset?  (Read 1360 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Best Post-SHTF Asset?
« on: November 12, 2015, 08:19:10 AM »
I found this interesting...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-11-12/cyber-threat-underscores-safety-of-owning-texas-land-perot-says

I'm not saying Perot, Jr is wrong, I'm just saying part of this reads like a "look at me, I'm such a rocking success" when some of the stuff (what little of substance there is) is not entirely accurate. 

For example - "it's hard to steal land".  Really?  Like anything, you either have the means of protecting or you don't.  You either have adequate resources or you don't.  You either have defensible terrain (or terrain you can improve to be more defensible) or you don't.  You either have adequate shelter, food and water supply or you don't.  So there is good locations/resources/means and there isn't.  Just any land will not do. 

And this sidetrack chatter into urban real estate...really, equating urban with survival seems foolish to me, and if Junior is smart...then part of this is nothing more than a generic real estate plug.

But it got me thinking about land in a post-SHTF sense so thought it might be good to post and generate discussion.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Best Post-SHTF Asset?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 10:40:31 AM »
Perot can afford a small army to reclaim any land that is "lost" to squatters -- he is just saying its property that is hard to take to a  place where his army can't reach .. and property that exists on electronic paper is rather easy to do that with . MF Global.

Barnhardt's credo is  correct - if you can't stand over it an protect it, it isn't yours. Perot isn't really saying anything different - is just that he can hire a bunch of people to stand over it - Urban or Rural. He just isn't saying it out loud. .  And really that is the lesson here.  Your best STHF asset is people.  When I saw your post I immediately thought - "my wife. "  You can have all of the guns, ammo, food, water filtration etc, but without other people that stuff isn't going to end up serving you. It will serve those who had more people and took it from you. You can only fire so many bullets by yourself.  The communities tat prosper will be the ones that figure out how to self police the fastest. Ideally that is a Sheriff who deputizes everyone with a firearm, and give them the "authoritah" to do what needs to be done to put down any ferals.  If you still have someone protecting individual rights ( like the right to own property, or a gun etc)  you have the safety and justice necessary to have a productive community and an economy.

The danger is that the Sheriff with his new found army then takes it upon himself to confiscate and redistribute supplies, rather than asking for donations. (or just goes full "the postman" on you.. But then that will be the basic rule that I mentioned before -  anyone demanding something from you out of duty, or kindness, or charity  is an enemy - even if  they don't carry with them the implicit use of force.  You give them a handout once than they will expect it again, and tell others you are hoarding if they don't get it.

Anyone asking upfront  to work for what they will receive probably isn't going to tell anyone. They don't want competition for the job they got from you, and they understand that getting paid means they perform.  They already understand that they aren't entitled to anything, and admit as much when they ask if there is anything they can do for you to earn their  crust of bread. That doesn't mean they won't turn on you,  it just makes it less likely they are the sort to do it, and more likely they are the sort to be grateful and happy for the opportunities you are able to provide to them.