Author Topic: Internet of Things  (Read 1107 times)

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Internet of Things
« on: December 03, 2015, 08:05:08 AM »
As usual,  every time I think I need to code something,  I don't. Someone on the Internet goes and writes code so I don't have to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHQl-Pb1Zvw

Its a graphical interface for creating a state machines out of multiple bits on the internet.  ( A raspberry Pi here, a THING there,  and Arduino here)  along with tools to put data into databases, do analytical functions  and so on.

So yes, YOU - with no real programming experience,  can  build control systems using Arduino, Raspberri Pi, that cute little thing processor, etc..

And an image - already done and configured-  you can JUST LOAD. No Linux. No command line.

http://thethingbox.io/#home

« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 08:31:18 AM by Weisshaupt »

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
Re: Internet of Things
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 08:24:46 AM »
All makes perfect sense to me ---

All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 08:56:48 AM »
All makes perfect sense to me ---

Ok look.  Everyone here has mastered their web browser right?  You can turn a PC on,  type in the URL for IAL,  fill out the pretty little form and post? Then go to a different website and buy something?  Then go to your bank and look up your  balance? Maybe go to a web-based email service like Gmail and then send messages?  If you have mastered those tasks,  then you have maybe 10%  more to learn to master this.

Node-Red will let you take all of these cute little devices I am pushing ( and with Raspberry Zero that is a $5 investment)
and put them to work for you - quickly, easily, and with little more involved than checking your bank statements. If you are homesteading, spending 1-2 hours on automation with this tool will potentially save you hundreds of hours later. How about hooking up moisture sensors and then actually turning on a watering system when the soil is DRY. (but only on Tue and Thursday because of statist watering laws)  How about automatically feeding or watering animals? Building security systems with motion sensors - that cankick off other events and log information..

The other key here is information -- you can start logging temperatures, soil conditions, soil PH, water PH, etc so  you know when there is an issue with the crop ( that you and your loved ones are dependent upon come Teotwawki)

Yes individual solutions exist for all of this crap. Do they cost $5 and 2 hours of time? Are they integrated with everything else ?( you triggered the motion sensor-- and the sprinklers (or worse)  come on to deter you from coming any further..)   

This allows you to deploy sensor packages and operators ( turn a servo or motor, turn on a relay, etc)  for about $10 and not a lot of investment in intellectual knowledge.  Just check it out. Thins thing is designed for people who don't code and are trying to solve other issues.  That presentation is by a statistician - not a programmer. He wants to collect and analyze data - and he wants that collection to be brainless so he can get on with the fun stuff (to him) of finding out what it means.

So stand on the shoulders of the giants. Its mostly free, and every little survival advantage you have.  It almost feels like cheating if you are a programmer. Even more than using someone's library because now you don't even need to know the language syntax.   

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 09:02:09 AM »
I'll stick with rebuilding a carburator.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 09:03:08 AM »
I'll stick with rebuilding a carburator.

This is easier. I can never get the plugs out, and when I do I have messed the whole thing up.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 09:45:23 AM »
It's good information to have, Weisshaupt, for all the purposes you've listed.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"