Author Topic: NFL  (Read 56089 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: NFL
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2016, 09:58:14 PM »
Yeah that was cool seeing the old guy basically call everyone else a bunch of pussies, what with their coats and gloves.  LOL.

Another thing that bugs me about that game, the TE Rudolph, I think he went out of bounds too easily on that reception.  Oh well.  That game was the Vikings' to lose.  The Seahawks won't be facing Teddy Checkdown next Sunday.

And then there were four.  Arizona @ Carolina for the NFC title game, New England @ Denver for the AFC title game.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2016, 05:08:54 PM »
Yeah that was cool seeing the old guy basically call everyone else a bunch of pussies, what with their coats and gloves.  LOL.

Another thing that bugs me about that game, the TE Rudolph, I think he went out of bounds too easily on that reception.  Oh well.  That game was the Vikings' to lose.  The Seahawks won't be facing Teddy Checkdown next Sunday.

And then there were four.  Arizona @ Carolina for the NFC title game, New England @ Denver for the AFC title game.

7/8 so far one my playoff picks.  Will go with Carolina and New England this week...though the NE/DEN game looks the toughest to call to me.

Maybe there will be another flag incident w/AZ...

http://mynorthwest.com/292/2894680/Video-Panthers-Cam-Newton-adds-salt-to-wound-by-grabbing-12-flag

The butthurt by Seabird fans is hilarious.  I guess they smuggled them in...pot/kettle...BFD.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2016, 12:32:20 PM »
Carolina Panthers going to Super Bowl 50, woohoo!  After completely dismantling Arizona in a frankly embarrassing fashion Sunday night.

- Yours Truly

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2016, 01:47:52 PM »
Everyone in Tennessee is happy Peyton will get one more shot at a Super Bowl, even though it will be up to the Denver defense to make it happen. No doubt the two best defenses made it. Denver and Carolina's defenses are smothering. Denver can come off the edge better than anyone and Carolina gets accolades for their linebackers, but their two interior guys are amazing.

Not sure Newton can be totally contained and if Manning can weather the barrage, I think his offensive line can keep him upright enough to score some points.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2016, 01:58:47 PM »
No dog in the hunt but Carolina looks to be a juggernaut.

If they don't get a big head and over confident over the last two easy wins, Peyton's in for a very long day

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2016, 04:31:13 PM »
I just don't think Denver's offense can hang with Carolina's offense.  Their defenses are pretty closely matched, with a slight edge to Denver, but the offenses have a pretty significant mismatch in favor of Carolina.

- Yours Truly

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2016, 12:11:43 AM »
Denver's defense took a Brady led offense, with all it's weapons, and kept it in check until the last drive. Carolina's wideouts don't scare anyone, they thrive because Newton can stand in the pocket and wait til they come open. Not sure that will happen with Denver's rush. Double team the TE, keep cam in pocket.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2016, 12:47:55 PM »
Oh, the Broncos are in the Superbowl again? Wheee!
I grew up in Denver.  While  my lack of interest in sports is probably mostly genetic, any remaining interest I had was killed by the Broncos growing up.
How many times did I watch them go the Superbowl and choke. And it wasn't just superbowls. Every frigging game would go into overtime - because they would choke in the 3rd quarter. I guess it made for exciting games, but it irritated me.  And then there is Carlos and his amazing ability to hit goal posts. 
Now I was unaware the Broncos were even involved in a game till my Dentist wanted to talk to me about it in the chair this morning.   Rah Rah. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFYcXi5a1Lo

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2016, 07:13:49 AM »
I think the Panthers are going to throttle the Ponies.  The conference championships are almost always better than the Stuporbowl.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2016, 08:13:37 PM »
And, even worse, I think the commercials will suck this year, too

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2016, 10:34:27 AM »
I think the Panthers are going to throttle the Ponies.  The conference championships are almost always better than the Stuporbowl.

Yeah the conference playoff games are usually way better than the Super Bowl, from strictly a love of the game aspect.

I definitely was not expecting them to hang 49 points on Arizona, while holding them to only 15 points.  And the Seattle game was only close because coaching -- they've more or less admitted now -- tried to sit on their lead in the 2nd half.

A lot of people are still unaware of Newton's transformation into a complete NFL QB.  He's still dangerous on the ground, but he is also a top pocket passer now.  He's had something like 35 TDs thrown from the pocket this season, so yeah he can beat teams with his arm if they dare him to.

Denver definitely has a potent defense, but I think even if Carolina is held to half their usual scoring it is unlikely that Denver matches it against the Carolina defense, which is pretty good in its own right.

- Yours Truly

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2016, 10:41:38 AM »
Once the Arizona game was a blowout, I stopped watching and just checked in.
I was wondering why, when leading 40-15, Carolina went for 2?

That was a little bit bush, in my usual less than humble opinion

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2016, 01:23:47 PM »
I wondered that too, because it is uncharacteristic for them to run up on their opponent.   At the end of the game Carolina took a knee when they were in field goal range, giving the ball back to Arizona with time on the clock, so I don't think they were pulling a dick move with the 2 point conversion.  If anything they may have been responding to some insults, perceived or otherwise, from Arizona (who had earlier gone for 2 when it wouldn't have changed the number of possessions needed to tie the game).  There was a comment from the Arizona coach at halftime calling Carolina the worst second half team in the NFL, and that if Arizona scored in the first 5 minutes of the second half it would be lights out for the Panthers.  I can only imagine that comment got back to the Panthers.

I am definitely luxuriating in the Panthers' season this year, because I have checked out of politics (ping me when the shooting starts) and am just indulging in mindless entertainment in the meantime.  Plus after enduring so many years of mediocrity and awfulness, it's fun to now have a team that makes other teams and their fans so salty.

- Yours Truly

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2016, 06:20:48 PM »
I was thinking.
(That may be a surprise)

Newton is very good but young.
I suppose if Denver's defense could rattle him early and maybe get a pick or fumble and score, it could give Denver a chance

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2016, 03:52:34 PM »
Denver needs to find a way to score 28. I think Carolina will score in the 20's. Hopefully it will be a good game.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2016, 05:13:07 PM »
Carolina jumped out to those huge leads the last two games.
If Denver can avoid that, they have a chance.
Maybe small.

I'd like to see a decent game
But there better be some good commercials or I'm going deep into the Jack Daniels early

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2016, 11:40:33 AM »
I'll be hitting the Knob Creek single barrel and not paying much attention...so I know I'll be in a good mood...

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2016, 07:29:20 AM »
Didn't catch much of the game...what I did catch (the Carolina catch not ruled a catch but looked like a catch in reply and was challenged and the official the tv guys had said the call will get overturned...but it wasn't) kinda set the tone...probably wouldn't have impacted the outcome but the script seems to have been set - Peyton goes out a winner.  Not surprised by the final score when I got up this morning.  And apparently Cam isn't too thrilled with all the "what's the problem on offense" questions.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2016, 08:09:09 AM »

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2016, 08:56:45 AM »
Looks like the game sort of followed my post #53.

It wasn't terribly exciting and the commercials sucked