Author Topic: Thai Shrimp Slaves  (Read 4463 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Thai Shrimp Slaves
« on: December 14, 2015, 08:56:27 AM »
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Thai Shrimp Slaves
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 09:33:29 AM »
Depending on the ideology of the author, "slaves" could mean they don't make $15/hour.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 11:21:32 AM »
Yeah, that thought did occur to me too.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 11:43:05 AM »
In reading through the article, what I see are illegal aliens who enter into employment willingly, and suffer harsh working conditions and terrible pay. In other words, they are exploited.

The article comes right out and says that "Raids can end up sending migrants without proper paperwork to jail, while [shrimp factory] owners go unpunished."

There's that word. "Migrants". In other words, people who don't belong there in the first place are being exploited for labor. Doesn't make them "slaves".
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 12:22:54 PM »
But here in the states that is music to libiot/e-gop ears...not slaves, just exploited for cheap labor...in essence their is no difference between the illegals hired by Thai shrimpers and those hired by American businesses and individuals...so what makes it OK to say "slave" over there and not here?

We all know why.