Author Topic: Harry's Law ....  (Read 6310 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Harry's Law ....
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2011, 08:51:05 AM »
I think the "boomer" generation has an awful lot of people who cannot admit to themselves that their inattentiveness and middle-of-the-road/whatever-seems-best-at-the-time political stances have led us to where we are. It's easier for them to perceive everything in the context of how they always thought things were - and compare current events to that - than it is for them to admit that the problems we face are not so much because things have changed, but because things were never how they thought they were in the first place.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2011, 11:18:40 AM »

That sounds good and using 1946 to 1964 is certainly a wide demographic.
However, the first boomer born (Boomer 1) was not able to vote in the 1964 election.

The election of LBJ is the demarcation and you can give that responsibility to the "greatest generation" and Korea vet era folks.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2011, 03:47:18 PM »
I think the "boomer" generation has an awful lot of people who cannot admit to themselves that their inattentiveness and middle-of-the-road/whatever-seems-best-at-the-time political stances have led us to where we are. It's easier for them to perceive everything in the context of how they always thought things were - and compare current events to that - than it is for them to admit that the problems we face are not so much because things have changed, but because things were never how they thought they were in the first place.

Is this about where your conversations with your Dad get stuck?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2011, 04:05:15 PM »

Is this about where your conversations with your Dad get stuck?

I've never gone that far with him. We get stuck before that. Democrats are just a misguided folks who want what's best for the country and don't know how to get there, and that's all there is too it. That's the background upon which he places all political conversations. We can talk policy and be in total agreement. But when I start pulling things together and drawing conclusions, conversation over.

I can imagine though, that if I were begin assigning blame to his generation, it would end the same way. He worked hard all his life and did all the right things. He's not about to accept responsibility for his generation's political "permission" for government to run amok.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 04:08:55 PM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson