Author Topic: ICANN Handover  (Read 1483 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
Re: ICANN Handover
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 07:14:00 AM »
As promised, first bit of fun - ending the use of proxies.

How else can bullies bully people unless they know exactly who they are and where they live and work?  Duh!

And the biggest bully of them all???

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 07:30:36 AM »
Proxies to end the registration of websites, not for me, the future expat, to access US Netflix (or an American brokerage account as more are banning foreign IPs from accounts) from where ever I end up.

I don't know if that's such a bad idea.  I used to take great sport in tracing spammers back to their home address.   ::devil::  Then there was the ability to trace political web sites back to whoever bought them.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 09:07:29 AM »
Proxies to end the registration of websites, not for me, the future expat, to access US Netflix (or an American brokerage account as more are banning foreign IPs from accounts) from where ever I end up.

I don't know if that's such a bad idea.  I used to take great sport in tracing spammers back to their home address.   ::devil::  Then there was the ability to trace political web sites back to whoever bought them.

DNS and WHO is voluntary and public.  There is ZERO they can do about someone starting a new registry and running a new domain .anon  or whatever.
TOR already proxies the DNS lookups -  they can have their server check the TOR registry first before even asking the ICANN/WHOIS DNS.

Seriously - you can either use our DNS servers or you can point it to TOR and get everyone's... and if they close DNS except to certain locations, use something else - email for instance, to return the IP.  You can't stop the Signal Mal. 
These Morons understand the internet as well  as Evie Hudak understood firearms and magazines.
A proxy is just a company putting in their own information rather than the original persons.  And you are going to ban that how?
How will  you know when a registration by a company is proxied or not? How will you enforce it - but I guess that is the point - selective enforcement against speech you don't like..

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 09:39:03 AM »

DNS and WHO is voluntary and public.  There is ZERO they can do about someone starting a new registry and running a new domain .anon  or whatever.
TOR already proxies the DNS lookups -  they can have their server check the TOR registry first before even asking the ICANN/WHOIS DNS.

Seriously - you can either use our DNS servers or you can point it to TOR and get everyone's... and if they close DNS except to certain locations, use something else - email for instance, to return the IP.  You can't stop the Signal Mal. 
These Morons understand the internet as well  as Evie Hudak understood firearms and magazines.
A proxy is just a company putting in their own information rather than the original persons.  And you are going to ban that how?
How will  you know when a registration by a company is proxied or not? How will you enforce it - but I guess that is the point - selective enforcement against speech you don't like..

Yup, as always the low hanging fruit is grabbed first.

Didn't I hear an issue with TOR/Orbot with respect to NSA snooping?  Not that the latter can't Hoover whatever it likes with impunity...but I do like running that on mobile devices...

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 09:51:38 AM »

Didn't I hear an issue with TOR/Orbot with respect to NSA snooping?  Not that the latter can't Hoover whatever it likes with impunity...but I do like running that on mobile devices...

TOR had government funding in getting started so yeah, it may have easy back doors for the NSA to use etc. But then, the internet started with govt funding..
In order to find out, one would have to look at and understand every line of code.. and even then an infected computer can compromise the whole thing by using the data after its been decrypted.  Just assume you are being spied on, listened to  and tracked whenever you are around an internet connected device with a mic or a camera.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 09:53:32 AM »

TOR had government funding in getting started so yeah, it may have easy back doors for the NSA to use etc. But then, the internet started with govt funding..
In order to find out, one would have to look at and understand every line of code.. and even then an infected computer can compromise the whole thing by using the data after its been decrypted.  Just assume you are being spied on, listened to  and tracked whenever you are around an internet connected device with a mic or a camera.

I do.

And it doesn't stop me from being honest.   ;)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 08:12:40 AM »
Handover plan submitted next month...could be effected by September...

http://phys.org/news/2016-01-internet-cord-year.html

Anybody else get a funny feeling this could come back to bite us hard?