Author Topic: X Files  (Read 3079 times)

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
X Files
« on: February 01, 2016, 09:05:13 PM »
If you're not watching this rebirth, you are missing great TV.

Tonight was one of the not serious ones they occasionally did and it was roll on the floor funny

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: X Files
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 01:24:15 AM »
I was super excited to watch this, and then I read a review of the first new episode basically saying it was a repudiation of the Bush administration, and then I wasn't so eager.

Pretty good though, huh? I plan on getting around to it for sure. Vince Gilligan before he became Vince Gilligan.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 07:18:50 AM »
Convince me it's not the leftist drek I heard it was.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 07:53:47 AM »
I'm watching it, Hawk.
I was watching solely for entertainment and not looking or seeing any agenda.
But, I've always watched X Files

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 11:45:14 AM »
I don't pay attention like I used to but I didn't notice any BDS, and I thought it was OK and funny in parts, beats the crap out of most dreck on TV...though that isn't hard...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 11:52:08 AM »
Might have to give it a chance, then.  Are all the "dead" brought back to life?  I saw cigarette smoking man, what about the Lone Gunmen?

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 11:57:35 AM »
Hopefully they bring back Alex Trebek as a man in black...that other jackhole can go screw himself!

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 12:10:26 PM »
They haven't shown any Lone Gunmen, yet.

There was just one short scene that showed the cigarette smoking man.
He hasn't had any activity yet

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 01:48:07 PM »
Being a fan of the genre (used to LOVE Night Stalker as a kid), X Files is a show I watched eagerly when it first came out. After a couple seasons, I kind of lost interest, and never really watched past season 2 or 3. But now with Netflix, I've been watching from season 1, and am now in the middle of season 6.

You can see flashes of brilliance, but there are also some pretty throwaway episodes. My favorite part of the show is the sarcastic banter between Mulder and Scully. Scully has a smart mouth on her. (Beautiful eyes too.)

A whippy line she had in an episode I watched a few days ago made me laugh out loud...

Assistant Director Skinner: Use your head Agent Scully; it could save your ass.

Agent Scully: Save your own ass sir; you might save your head along with it.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 03:26:30 PM »
Last night's episode was hilarious because  there was a scene where the conversation was almost a role reversal with Muldur and Scully.
Muldur was sort of the rational one pointing out real world explanations.

Also, in the first episode, Muldur discovers that aliens and all this other conspiracy stuff was a government hoax including allusions to 911.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 05:39:25 PM »
Are season 8 and 9 with Robert Patrick (sans David Duchovny) worth watching?

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 06:37:28 PM »
I forgot about those.
I can't remember

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2016, 09:05:05 PM »
Being a fan of the genre (used to LOVE Night Stalker as a kid), X Files is a show I watched eagerly when it first came out. After a couple seasons, I kind of lost interest, and never really watched past season 2 or 3. But now with Netflix, I've been watching from season 1, and am now in the middle of season 6.

You can see flashes of brilliance, but there are also some pretty throwaway episodes. My favorite part of the show is the sarcastic banter between Mulder and Scully. Scully has a smart mouth on her. (Beautiful eyes too.)

A whippy line she had in an episode I watched a few days ago made me laugh out loud...

Assistant Director Skinner: Use your head Agent Scully; it could save your ass.

Agent Scully: Save your own ass sir; you might save your head along with it.

I'm apparently a lot more tolerant of mediocre Science Fiction than you are - I lasted almost til the end. And I shouldn't dismiss it as mediocre either - there were (as you say) flashes of brilliance along with that mediocrity.

I guess that's the story of just about everything though, starts off energetic, fresh and bold, matures into something pretty good - or pretty bad. Then gets a little ragged around the edges, and finally dissolves into a puddle of goo.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 07:48:03 AM »
Gillian Anderson is still a cutie.  Anybody else catch her on Top Gear?  She was so giggly, she even has a sexy laugh.  :)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 07:57:36 AM by Libertas »

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2016, 07:54:46 AM »
I thought 8 and 9 were still good. 

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2016, 02:22:26 PM »
I thought 8 and 9 were still good.

That's good to know. So much of why I've enjoyed up to now (somewhere middle season 6) is the character play between Mulder and Scully. Having a hard time imagining enjoying the show without that, but I guess I'll find out.

- Thomas Jefferson