Author Topic: Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, 79  (Read 2110 times)

Offline richb

• Established Member
Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, 79
« on: February 13, 2016, 04:18:36 PM »
Just saw this online,  Supreme court justice Antonin Scalia has passed away. 

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, 79
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 04:22:07 PM »
RIP to him and thoughts for his family.  This is awful for the country too.  The precarious balance of the Court will now shift to the Left.  This is going to be one of the major waypoints to Civil War 2.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 04:26:08 PM »
Just saw this online,  Supreme court justice Antonin Scalia has passed away.

And now the eGOP stooges confirm an anti gun justice and the fundamental transformation is complete - expect for the civil war that will follow.
All is proceeding as I have foreseen.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 04:26:39 PM »
RIP to him and thoughts for his family.  This is awful for the country too.  The precarious balance of the Court will now shift to the Left.  This is going to be one of the major waypoints to Civil War 2.

I don't know how it could go any further left.

Prayers up for Chief Justice Scalia.

And now it's time for me to go clean my guns.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 04:27:36 PM »
Sh i tttt.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 04:39:45 PM »
Sh i tttt.

No kidding,  this couldn't have happened at a worse time.   

Just what the election season didn't need, a fight over a new judge.   Not that the EGOP will fight whatever turd Barry wants. 

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 04:46:40 PM »
Wonder if the eGOP killed him in hopes of ensuring  people will vote for chosen stooge or Trump.  Not working. Let. It. Burn. 
A new court means these gun laws will stand. It means they will try to come for them. And it means they will start the war.  And the sooner that happens? The better, because there is no avoiding it now and the longer they have, the harder they will be to fight

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 05:06:06 PM »
Wonder if the eGOP killed him in hopes of ensuring  people will vote for chosen stooge or Trump.  Not working. Let. It. Burn. 
A new court means these gun laws will stand. It means they will try to come for them. And it means they will start the war.  And the sooner that happens? The better, because there is no avoiding it now and the longer they have, the harder they will be to fight

Exactly.  I think we all know that eventually all the "official" protections of liberty will crumble, and it will come down to a literal fight for our rights.  This is a major, major step toward that inevitability.

Once Obama's Bolshevik appointment is obediently confirmed by the "opposition" party that currently controls the Senate, the Court will rapidly set itself to completing the fundamental transformation.  Look at how the 2nd Amendment was defended just barely, by 5-4 margins.  That's now in the other direction.  The equivocating Kennedy may even roll with the new majority and make it more like a 6-3 margin.

Leftist sites are gleeful over this and already talking about overturning Heller and MacDonald.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 08:19:43 PM »
  A true HERO and conservative.    RIP
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2016, 07:34:26 AM »
It just got real.

RIP. 

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2016, 04:57:34 PM »
R.I.P.

Won't be any peace for the rest of us, prepare the coming violence.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 11:43:43 AM »
Remembering Antonin Scalia
BY HERSCHEL SMITH
1 day, 12 hours ago
When I found out about Scalia’s death on Saturday, I yelled “No, No, No, No,” fifteen or twenty times at the top of my lungs.  Much badness will follow.

While Mitch McConnell has said that the vacancy will be filled by the next president, he is a traitor like Paul Ryan.  The Senate and House have given Obama everything he’s asked for seven years.  They won’t stop now.  Ted Cruz has promised to filibuster any nominee, and good on him for planning this ahead of time.  I predict that the other senators will hang him out to dry like the worthless, quisling traitor, spineless crap weasels they are and like they did on his filibuster of Obamacare funding.

As to Scalia, I found that his Heller decision was his weakest, and leaves us with much work to be done by the Supreme Court in the future.  Perhaps it was the best he could get past the other justices, but he is now dead and the balance of the court may change for the worse.  This is a lesson for future justices.  Don’t do things incrementally.  We may not have you around long enough to finish the job.

His best work was in his dissents, and if you haven’t read the book “Scalia Dissents,” you owe it to yourself to get it and read it.  Not only is it educational for the cases that have been before the court (you need some understanding of them in order to understand his dissent), but it is a window into one of the great minds of the twentieth century.  His jurisprudence is a demarcation of the legal landscape for generations to come.

On a personal note, I do not know and have never met Scalia.  But my brother, who graduated from Emory Law School, has met him and had a chance to discuss his writings.  One question my brother posed went something like this.  “I admire your decisions and dissents, but what I really wanted to ask you pertains to your writing style and abilities.  Your writings can be understood by scholar and layman alike, and in my opinion it is part of what has made you so successful.  How did you learn to communicate the way you do?”

Scalia responded something like this.  “Thank you, I spent time reading and studying everything C.S. Lewis wrote.  Read and study his writings and you’ll find someone who can communicate to both scholar and layman.”  As for my reaction to what my brother relayed to me, I’m not surprised.  I know someone who visited England recently and took the C.S. Lewis tour, in which they saw his home, where he taught, personal effects and other such things.

The tour was given by one person, and my friends were the only ones on the tour.  “England,” said the tour guide, “has forgotten about Lewis.  The only people I guide now are Americans.”  How tragic.  Lewis was a national treasure.  So too, Scalia was a national treasure.  I fear we will not really know what we had and be able to miss it with necessary earnestness for a very long time.  But at least with me, I will not forget C.S. Lewis, and I won’t forget Scalia.  National treasures are like that.

http://www.captainsjournal.com/2016/02/15/remembering-antonin-scalia/
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.