Author Topic: Hot Air Going All Powerline - Comments Section  (Read 5472 times)

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
Hot Air Going All Powerline - Comments Section
« on: February 15, 2016, 01:17:29 PM »
Just found out this morning that Hot Air is junking its privately managed comment section and is going over to Facebook for comments. This means that any comments at Hot Air must post through commie Zuckerberg's NSA data mining dark star.

The regulars there are as pissed as we were when Powerline cast off their loyal commenters like a used tissue. I smell an opportunity to try to direct some traffic over here.

Comments?
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: Hot Air Going All Powerline - Comments Section
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 01:41:00 PM »
As much as I dislike disqus it is vastly superior to Farcebook. Bad move for HotAir. When does the change happen?

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 01:45:47 PM »
To my way of thinking, a "comments section" is all but utterly worthless without a coherent "reply" system and a way to navigate back to your comment. Without the ability to easily engage in an online conversation, comments are reduced to one-off, "here's what I think" opinion junkyards. Worthless.

So fecesbook will be an improvement over what they have now, IMHO.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 01:55:04 PM »
So I went and took a look. Apparently today is the last day - in more ways than one. From the (soon to be dead) comments one would think that they are shutting down the site, not just open comments. My answer is yes - if you have an active account @ HA I would give them our URL as an alternative.

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 02:22:40 PM »
So I went and took a look. Apparently today is the last day - in more ways than one. From the (soon to be dead) comments one would think that they are shutting down the site, not just open comments. My answer is yes - if you have an active account @ HA I would give them our URL as an alternative.

I did.

I always thought that dropping a link here to another conservative site was like showing up at your niece’s wedding reception with a low cost hooker.

Anyway, click on my nom below if you are interested in checking out another great group of conservatives. It’s where I will be for a while, sulking in my corner.

BigAlSouth on February 15, 2016 at 2:21 PM
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 02:28:40 PM »
Thanks Big Al - I saw your post over there.  ;)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 07:33:48 AM »
Are we at least a high class hooker?   ;D

Honestly, comment sections are like IDP said, drive by opining, no opportunity for discourse...why bother?

And with ProgTard Fecesbook and their hard-line to the NSA's hovering center at Camp Williams south of Bluffdale, Utah...code-named "Bumblehive"...

I would rather communicate using smoke-signals than go on that crap!

The only reason to enter that realm is to bombard it with disinformation and throw sh*t around...basically act like a Prog.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 02:08:14 PM »
I hate that Hotair site, period. The place is a sewer infested by moderates of the RINOstablishment.
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 04:06:37 PM »
I've noticed that Gateway Pundit has gone full-blown Trump 24 hours a day; 7 days a week. It's like Hoft is on Trump's payroll or something.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 04:49:18 AM »
I've noticed that Gateway Pundit has gone full-blown Trump 24 hours a day; 7 days a week. It's like Hoft is on Trump's payroll or something.

Not only pro-Trump, but virulently anti-Cruz.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 08:04:06 AM »
Yeah.  I can both see good and bad in that. 

But, big picture...anything that is bad for the E-GOP is a plus, to that end I don't entirely get the Trump-Cruz animosity...it shouldn't be anything more than heat-of-battle stuff...both are hostile to E-GOP designs, I would think both would want to beat up on the Establishments new darling Rubio.

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 08:33:37 AM »

Not only pro-Trump, but virulently anti-Cruz.

Jim Hoft was always a bit volatile and prone to propaganda. . Gateway often had stories before they were vetted, which was cool, but Jim would throw them out there that way as truth, and with no reservation, and would often leave them that way when more facts came to light. I learned to get secondary confirmation on anything posted there-- I don't think Hoft does it deliberately, just that his  intellectual integrity process  is not always 100% , so I am not surprised he fooled himself  into drinking the Trump  Cool-aid.  He obviously had some strong ideas about what a "good candidate"  will look like and Trump hits all those check marks verbally, so confirmation bias is bypassing the rational centers.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 08:38:32 AM by Weisshaupt »

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 09:31:40 AM »
The comments section at Hot Air is quickly turning into Politico.

Looking like a fail, early on.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2016, 08:59:08 PM »
  Somebody need to go member fishing over there.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2016, 10:13:05 PM »
BigAl already put out our url.  Grouchy's was over there blatantly poaching.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2016, 07:35:19 AM »
The comments section at Hot Air is quickly turning into Politico.

Looking like a fail, early on.

Ouch.  Only thing worse is being compared to the bottom end of that sewer pipe...Moron.Org/DailyKook!

::hysterical::

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2016, 02:55:30 PM »
TepidAir has been a study in ineptitude.

Management decided to unilaterally impose a drastic change on its readers, treating them with complete disrespect. They did so with an accelerated timetable that wasn't accelerated enough to prevent a very public airing of grievances by the now disaffected "loyal base". When management saw what was happening they should have just cut their losses and pulled the plug but they didn't. Instead they left the commenting system running and available to every irked member and was used by them to say their peace and to organize their exit.

Since then the viewership - as calculated by participation in the comment pages - has plummeted. I took a quick look at the front page and, although there were new stories, there were zero comments by readers. It looked like a ghost town.

But it wasn't as simple as that. It seems that they webpage coders are having difficulties tying the new Farcebook comments to  the posted tallies. If one was to open the individual stories one could see a few meager posts - mostly by lefties who now find themselves in the catbird seat.

The net effect is a cold splash of water to anyone who ventures there. I have no doubt that in a month or two when the unique page views are reported they're going to swallow - hard. They screwed themselves and their readers.

Offline whimsicalmamapig

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2016, 04:23:33 PM »
has anyone here been following the debacle that is NRO lately. I notice that there is a lot less participation by the usual posters since they went all anti-trump
Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2016, 07:17:26 PM »
has anyone here been following the debacle that is NRO lately. I notice that there is a lot less participation by the usual posters since they went all anti-trump

Boy oh boy. I used to like the weirdness that was Conservative Treehouse, but not only are they pro-Trump, they are batsheet crazy pro-Trump.

And I've had a beef with Hoft over at Gateway for a long time. He would slant a story when the truth was easy to find. Just for extra clicks, I suppose.
--------------

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2016, 07:37:40 PM »

Boy oh boy. I used to like the weirdness that was Conservative Treehouse, but not only are they pro-Trump, they are batsheet crazy pro-Trump.

And I've had a beef with Hoft over at Gateway for a long time. He would slant a story when the truth was easy to find. Just for extra clicks, I suppose.

It has to be mostly the PaulBots, nothing else makes sense.