Author Topic: ::bashinghead:: Common courtesy gone?  (Read 1427 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
::bashinghead:: Common courtesy gone?
« on: May 11, 2011, 01:06:31 PM »
My daughter applied for a job a couple of weeks ago and was told she'd hear from them in two weeks.  In the mean time she was offered another job, not the one she really wanted but she's willing to take it.  So since she hadn't heard from the folks with the job she really wanted (two weeks had passed) she called the woman she'd talked to.  The woman told my daughter she'd decided to rehire the person in the position now.

Am I the only one who would have thought to call the other appilicants and tell them the position was no longer open?

My other daughter applied for a job at a place she used to work at because her old boss called her and told her about the opening. She interviewed with 3 people she used to work with.  They never called her back even after she emailed them a thank you/reminder.

Maybe it's different now.  Back when I was interviewing I'd hear back one way or the other about it.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Re: ::bashinghead:: Common courtesy gone?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 01:32:10 PM »
I believe you are experiencing what they call an, "employer's market."
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

hemm

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 02:10:54 PM »
I believe you are experiencing what they call an, "employer's market."

yup, that.

We have a good friend that is experiencing the same thing, going on 6 months now. She has had ONE f/u interview and was not selected. (after applying for 60+ jobs).

the market sucks, and the reason is in DC when not vacationing.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 02:21:52 PM »
But this is how it is, there is no common courtesy out there.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 02:35:43 PM »
Am I the only one who would have thought to call the other appilicants and tell them the position was no longer open?

No, but you are rapidly becoming the exception to the rule. As someone who also was raised to practice common courtesy I recognize that I often fall short, but at least I make the attempt.

I agree with JF's sentiment - I think incivility is rampant these days. I used to find it mostly in immigrants - Eastern European mostly, but also Asians -  who brought their socially-stunted customs with them to America. Now it seems to be everywhere, transcending race, class, and circumstance.

I gave up trying to correct my nieces and nephews when they disrespected me or my parents. Now I tell them to "Act like a human being or GTF away from me". I no longer try to be apologetic when someone else misbehaves in a store. Abandon your cart in my way and you may (or may not) find it again. Block my path while talking on your friggin cell phone and I may not miss you with my shopping cart.

Sometimes I wonder if it is even possible to "get back to good"...

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 05:41:00 PM »
My daughter applied for a job a couple of weeks ago and was told she'd hear from them in two weeks.  In the mean time she was offered another job, not the one she really wanted but she's willing to take it.  So since she hadn't heard from the folks with the job she really wanted (two weeks had passed) she called the woman she'd talked to.  The woman told my daughter she'd decided to rehire the person in the position now.

My other daughter applied for a job at a place she used to work at because her old boss called her and told her about the opening. She interviewed with 3 people she used to work with.  They never called her back even after she emailed them a thank you/reminder.

Maybe it's different now.  Back when I was interviewing I'd hear back one way or the other about it.

This is not to you in particular, but in this job market i'll suggest anyone looking for a job needs to call back anyone they were graced with an interview. Be persistant. Be prepared to interview.
I haven't interviewed in decades, but whether an interview or an appointment, I always leave with a set date and time. No vagueness in time or date. Let the interviewer know you will be back in contact.

True story: Many, many , many moons ago I had an interview. I was early 20's, probably not exactly what they were looking but I had received instruction on how to handle the "we'll contact you in 2 weeks" response. We came to the conclusion of the interview and I got the "we'll call you".....I asked when. He responded something vague, don't remember, so asked his timeline to hire. I don't remember what he said but I let it be known I would call him back and gave him a time and date. It was within 2 days. I received a 2nd interview...then a 3rd...I used the same approach.

LOL....I did not receive the job but I did get a position in this organization.

If I can give advise...be prepared to interview. Always research the company. Know thier management. Thier product or service. A company statement. Speak to an employee if possible.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

RickZ

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 06:29:19 PM »

To be fair, if one is interviewing a boatload of prospects for a job in this employers' market, the time it takes to personally contact all the non-hired can be quite time consuming, and eat up work time which should be used to perform their current job.  I'm not giving that as an excuse, just the way it is.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 06:38:18 PM »

To be fair, if one is interviewing a boatload of prospects for a job in this employers' market, the time it takes to personally contact all the non-hired can be quite time consuming, and eat up work time which should be used to perform their current job.  I'm not giving that as an excuse, just the way it is.

I've interviewed before...and I look for those who call me back.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 08:27:10 PM »
On April 19th of this year McDonalds held a mass hiring day. Just over one million people applied for 50,000 openings. McDonalds hired 62,000. That is a 6.2% acceptance rate. By comparison, Harvard University's most recent acceptance rate was 7%. It's an employer's market and sadly, the lack of follow up with people who are interviewed is part and parcel of this economy.

But don't worry. Toonces says that this economy is on fire now. Growing by leaps and bounds. Instructions for kissing his ass are on his website.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 08:47:20 PM »
Yeah, I know it's an employers' market but I saw this trend long before the one got into office. There are other examples I could give.  There seems to be a general lack of recognition of others on the planet.

I once called a friend for information and she said she'd looked in her files. Well, she didn't find anything so she didn't call me. huh. I was supposed to know that her not calling was because she didn't find anything --not that she forgot or hadn't done it yet.  ::gaah::

My daughters are skilled at finding jobs though.  They're calling (or emailing--depending on the employer) employers days after applying and several times after the interview.  A few years ago one of my girls talked an owner of a Subway into hiring her even though he'd told her a half dozen times he wasn't hiring. Then she used that to go to another Subway and say look I'm already trained and got a job there too. Last summer my friends laughed that one daughter said she was going to find a summer job.  She ended up working 3 part-time jobs.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 09:14:16 PM »
There seems to be a general lack of recognition of others on the planet.

By the Oblivions, i.e. oblivious to everything and everyone but themselves.

Had a better than average experience the other day, though.  Gunsmith and I were walking on the strip-mall sidewalk; he was pretty close to the building wall and it was through this small gap that a ten-year-old chose to pass him on his bike.  One wrong move and they both would've gone down.  I berated the kid, "that was not a smart move, riding in the space between him and the building, son".  And when I turned to see what was behind us, there was his father on a bike as well, but instead of snarking at me, he called to his son, "I told you ....".  Kids do dumb things -- they're kids -- but this father reacted well, I thought.

Occurs to me that I expect so little of people, I'm happy when I get even that.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 11:58:58 PM »

the oblivions.  excellent phrase.  I've been searching for the right one--I'll be using it if you don't mind!

thanks!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 12:00:12 AM »

the oblivions.  excellent phrase.  I've been searching for the right one--I'll be using it if you don't mind!

thanks!

My pleasure.  Gunsmith knows it well.  Repetition .........
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 08:00:38 AM »
Man, I see Oblivians everyday...almost clipped one on the drive in this morning...

::cussing::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 09:07:22 AM »
Man, I see Oblivians everyday...almost clipped one on the drive in this morning...

I have to go to the mall this afternoon--should see many

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 11:27:18 AM »

Oh yeah...they'll be there!  You'll no doubt see them before they see you!

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2011, 12:02:33 PM »

I can already anticipate where I'll find them--blocking the bottom of the escalator, front of the elevator doors, the entrance to a store.  Bonus points goes to those wielding a baby stroller loaded down for a pilgrimage.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 12:09:53 PM »

I can already anticipate where I'll find them--blocking the bottom of the escalator, front of the elevator doors, the entrance to a store.  Bonus points goes to those wielding a baby stroller loaded down for a pilgrimage.

The just love clogging up choke points.  They act like everyone else is an intruder to their special world.

Remember to bark out a loud "Excuse Me!" when stepping around them.  An "Excuse You!" works too.

;)