Author Topic: I Must Be Living Right  (Read 1497 times)

Offline Septugenarian

• A Regular
I Must Be Living Right
« on: March 14, 2016, 08:50:09 PM »
A week or so ago my wife asked me if I had an AR.  Not having one I said "No".  She says "Why not?"  I said "I'm on my way.  Picked on up, added a reflex sight and a couple of other nice add ons.  Need to get to the range and sight it in as I've  only bore sighted it so far.

So last Friday she asks me what a Mossberg 500 is as its mentioned often in a novel she's reading.  So I explain that and she says "Your birthday is next week, you should get one".  I said "Come with me to get it".  Local GS has the 500 Special Purpose on sale for $299 so it comes home with us accompanied by some 00 buck.  I picked up some lighter loads for her to practice with,

No bad guys better show up here 'cause she's one shootin' gal with her own arsenal and going to get really familiar with these latest purchases.  The range is going to get a lot of visits now that the weather is warming up. ::bustamove::
I'm entitled (to be cranky).

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: I Must Be Living Right
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 10:18:09 PM »
Gotta love a gal who says 'we need more guns'.

(And a bigger generator, but that'd be just me.)
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 10:44:39 PM »
Gun show here in town this weekend - guess who is going ?  Hoping to bring home another 'friend'.
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 10:50:08 PM »
I wish I had that "problem".
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 07:09:24 AM »
Heh, a real keeper.   ::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 09:52:47 AM »
Gun show here in town this weekend - guess who is going ?  Hoping to bring home another 'friend'.

I assume the Mossburg was a 12 Ga? Has your wife fired it?  You might want to get her a 20.. Michelle refuses to even touch the 12., but she really likes her 20.. She is short and small, so we had to buy a pistol just for her too ( I can't even get my bottom two fingers on the grip..)

Offline Septugenarian

• A Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 02:14:52 PM »
She's also a lightweight and has not fired it yet so we'll see.  Worst case we end up with one of each.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 03:32:44 PM »
That's awesome -- you need to find her some more novels to read!  ::beertoast::

As for the recoil issue, if she doesn't like standard 12 gauge shells, you could try some of the Reduced Recoil shells.  They're still more than powerful enough for social work, but have more tolerable recoil for smaller framed shooters.

This is well-regarded stuff from Federal: http://www.ammunitiondepot.com/Federal-Premium-LE-Tactical-LE13200-Shotgun-Ammo-p/le13200.htm

I've also bought from Ammunition Depot several times and they're a good supplier.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Septugenarian

• A Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 03:41:08 PM »
Ehhh, I got her a Kindle for Christmas so she has ample access to the type of tales yielding these results.

Thanks, Glock32. I'll keep that in mind while I do have both 3" & 2-3/4" 00B having 15 & 9 pellets respectively.  We'll see how the recoil goes.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 03:46:14 PM by Septugenarian »

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 08:50:26 AM »
Went to gun show - not impressed - they were generally more than dealers in the area, so went yesterday and came home with friends - Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson - .40 cal. double stack mag.[14 in mag and one in the pipe].  Only got 1 box of ammo, 165 gr hollow points - this weekend to a friends farm to see if I can 'beef' up from the 'store bought rounds'. Right now 484 muzzle energy and 1150 fps velosity.  [Is better than the 23 min. average response time of 911 though ... ::oldman::]
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 08:55:22 AM »
Went to gun show - not impressed - they were generally more than dealers in the area, so went yesterday and came home with friends - Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson - .40 cal. double stack mag.[14 in mag and one in the pipe].  Only got 1 box of ammo, 165 gr hollow points - this weekend to a friends farm to see if I can 'beef' up from the 'store bought rounds'. Right now 484 muzzle energy and 1150 fps velosity.  [Is better than the 23 min. average response time of 911 though ... ::oldman::]

Yeah Reloading is the way to get more Ammo now.  The Gun Shows are very popular here. Here and there you will see a good deal on a used firearm, or maybe powder or brass,  but a lot of noobs are showing up and its pushing prices up - especially at shows. Its okay,  The more guns the harder  it will be to confiscate them all.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2016, 01:32:10 PM »
Yeah honestly I've never found many great deals at gun shows, especially once you factor in price of admission and parking.  The shows are mainly good for rare items, or for powder and primers (ordering online is expensive due to the extra hazmat fees).  I would suggest buying primers even if you're not a reloader yet.  They're a valuable commodity and the one component that would be hard to make outside of a manufacturing facility.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2016, 02:24:54 PM »
Yeah honestly I've never found many great deals at gun shows, especially once you factor in price of admission and parking.  The shows are mainly good for rare items, or for powder and primers (ordering online is expensive due to the extra hazmat fees).  I would suggest buying primers even if you're not a reloader yet.  They're a valuable commodity and the one component that would be hard to make outside of a manufacturing facility.

I go to the gun shows more for community than "deals". Just like I go to the car shows but have never purchased an automobile from one. We need gun shows - if for no other reason than a poke in the eye to the gun-banners (isn't it interesting that the same odious people are trying to outlaw automotive sports too?!)