Author Topic: Boehner @ Economics Club of New York  (Read 1338 times)

charlesoakwood

Boehner @ Economics Club of New York
« on: May 09, 2011, 09:29:10 PM »

“So, let me be as clear as I can be. Without significant spending cuts and reforms to reduce our debt, there will be no debt-limit increase. And the cuts should be greater than the accompanying increase in debt authority the president has given. We should be talking about cuts of trillions, not just billions.”
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ John Boehner

In plain English, Mr. Boehner is making this suggestion: Let’s say there’s a $2 trillion debt-limit increase proposed by the administration. In that case, there would have to be $2 trillion-plus in spending cuts in order to get Republican support. This is tough stuff.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ Larry Kudlow

John, I don't care if you get bucked off, ride this damn horse till you break it.  OK?  Then we'll be friends.

or

be a hero and JUST SAY NO! to the debt ceiling, we'll love you for that

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Boehner @ Economics Club of New York
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 10:18:05 PM »
This debt ceiling fight really seems like the pubbies last opportunity to demonstrate that they're serious about doing anything they were given a mandate to do last November. Whatever depth of grace happens to be remaining in the Tea Party reservoir - If the GOP fails to plug this debt ceiling hole, the floodgate will be flung open, and the reservoir drained for the last time.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 10:46:57 PM »
The Commiecrats certainly seem to have set up the table so that anyone who advocates fiscal discipline can be depicted as cruel and heartless.  That seems to be their strategy.  They deliberately sent spending through the roof, knowing that any attempt to curb it will cause pain to some people.

We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 11:51:19 PM »
The Commiecrats certainly seem to have set up the table so that anyone who advocates fiscal discipline can be depicted as cruel and heartless.  That seems to be their strategy.  They deliberately sent spending through the roof, knowing that any attempt to curb it will cause pain to some people.

I think you're exactly right about that. Without a moral people, it's a difficult system to undo. This is why I think the "let's just be fiscal conservatives" crowd doesn't get it. Delayed gratification and the voluntary rejection of unearned largesse were part of the moral character once, and without a moral component they can forget fiscal discipline as well.

The Democrats have planted economic booby traps all over the place. As you said, any attempt to restore some fiscal sanity and there are cries of bloody murder. Everyone wants "theirs" and they don't care where it comes from or how, and they will vote against anyone tagged with the "he wants to cut 'yours'" message. I really just don't see any political solution to this. I think it's all going to have to come crashing down when it slams headlong into reality.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 07:38:46 AM »
I am not convinced this present leadership is capable of rising above their childish fears and embracing a heroic stand against enemies who will do anything to destroy them.

We were once a moral and proud nation.  The proglodytes over many decades have sapped our vitality and there are precious few retaining any semblance of it now.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 09:41:07 AM »
The Dems will make him cry and he'll cave

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 09:49:41 AM »
That's probably the outcome with the most favorable odds...

::gaah::

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 11:01:54 AM »
I am not convinced this present leadership is capable of rising above their childish fears and embracing a heroic stand against enemies who will do anything to destroy them.

We were once a moral and proud nation.  The proglodytes over many decades have sapped our vitality and there are precious few retaining any semblance of it now.

Can you imagine?  A "heroic stand" is now standing firm on "we CANNOT keep spending money we don't have"??!

We're doomed, I fear.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 11:37:17 AM »

Can you imagine?  A "heroic stand" is now standing firm on "we CANNOT keep spending money we don't have"??!

We're doomed, I fear.

Words without action only serve to reveal to people who the poseurs are, and who should without question be culled from the herd.

I don't care for doom, unless it is redirected at our enemies...I'd really like to unleash some doom that direction...oh yeah...that would be nice!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 12:05:59 PM »
Ouch.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 12:11:34 PM »
My patience is fading...

...and really fast...

What's that old bumper sticker say?

Lead, follow or get the %$#@ out of the way!

Sometimes I think we've deviated too far from simplicity...