Author Topic: How to Hack an Election  (Read 586 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
How to Hack an Election
« on: April 03, 2016, 06:44:17 AM »
Andrés Sepúlveda rigged elections throughout Latin America for almost a decade. He tells his story for the first time.

... For eight years, Sepúlveda, now 31, says he traveled the continent rigging major political campaigns. With a budget of $600,000, the Peña Nieto job was by far his most complex. He led a team of hackers that stole campaign strategies, manipulated social media to create false waves of enthusiasm and derision, and installed spyware in opposition offices, all to help Peña Nieto, a right-of-center candidate, eke out a victory.

... Last year, based on anonymous sources, the Colombian media reported that Rendón was working for Donald Trump’s presidential campaign. Rendón calls the reports untrue. The campaign did approach him, he says, but he turned them down because he dislikes Trump. “To my knowledge we are not familiar with this individual,” says Trump’s spokeswoman, Hope Hicks. “I have never heard of him, and the same goes for other senior staff members.” But Rendón says he’s in talks with another leading U.S. presidential campaign—he wouldn’t say which—to begin working for it once the primaries wrap up and the general election begins.

H/T American Digest

This brings to mind, for one thing, Rush Limbaugh explaining that his massive number of social media detractors boiled down to about eight real-life individuals.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: How to Hack an Election
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 11:42:01 AM »
Funny, as I was reading this I got the impression that "This guy should steer clear of Fort Marcy Park".

So it turns out that, despite all the accolades about his hacking prowess and "principled" stances on ideological rather than financial considerations, in the end he's just another crook.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 09:55:27 AM »
Social media proves the adage "if it's free, you are the product."

I wouldn't be terribly surprised to learn that the social media phenomenon and its meteoric rise had its origins in government research.  Modern technology has made real the sort of infinite State that people like Orwell and Huxley considered fictional dystopias.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 06:47:03 PM »
I thought it was going to be something like...

Step One - George Soros

...that's all you need to know, the Prince of Darkness is behind all.  That link we have that documents all the fronts he's funded...who's who of scumbaggery...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.