Author Topic: Transp. Sec'ty: Inequitable Distribution of Sidewalks .....  (Read 1270 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Transp. Sec'ty: Inequitable Distribution of Sidewalks .....
« on: April 03, 2016, 08:00:21 AM »
... Is Obstacle to American Dream.

Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx told a crowd in North Carolina Tuesday that “only 49% of low-income neighborhoods have sidewalks” while more affluent areas have near 90%. In order to have a society where “everyone has a shot at the American Dream, than it’s imperative that we acknowledge these challenges.”

Foxx made the comments to the Charlotte Rotary Club where he discussed the ways that infrastructure should connect people to opportunity.

Charlotte, hmmm?  Must have received a warm welcome there from the 'trannies must have safe-space bathrooms' crowd.

... “Transportation is about more than getting from one point to another--it’s about getting from where you are to a better life,” said Secretary Foxx in a press release discussing ‘Ladders of Opportunity’ grants in 2014.

"Transportation" means feets and the sidewalks not traveled now, apparently.

This inequity crap just never stops.

Oh, and my parents' neighborhood doesn't have sidewalks and neither does mine.  But I bet Chicago, Newark, Detroit, etc. does.  So much for 'access to opportunity'.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
Re: Transp. Sec'ty: Inequitable Distribution of Sidewalks .....
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 03:57:15 PM »
But I bet Chicago, Newark, Detroit, etc. does.  So much for 'access to opportunity'.

Camden, NJ too - "Sidewalk am make it easier to run up to & mug-shoot-kill peoples you don't like."
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 05:58:27 AM »
It's been my experience that pretty much all older neighborhoods have sidewalks and newer, suburban neighborhoods are about 50/50.

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 06:06:23 PM »
I don't know if many of you know about the "complete street"  agenda of the "smart" growth crowd.   This is what these people are actually talking about.

Here is their own website description of what a "complete street" is:

http://www.smartgrowthamerica.org/complete-streets/complete-streets-fundamentals/complete-streets-faq

What it really is:   How to divert more money from the gas tax funds from roads to non auto transport (and non transport) use.   How to make building a new development harder and more expensive.   How to make driving more annoying and more expensive.

From the website above:
"Complete Streets are streets for everyone. They are designed and operated to enable safe access for all users, including pedestrians, bicyclists, motorists and transit riders of all ages and abilities. Complete Streets make it easy to cross the street, walk to shops, and bicycle to work. They allow buses to run on time and make it safe for people to walk to and from train stations."

AKA, what they really mean,   you have to restrict private cars in order for this to "work".    Note motorists are only noted once,  and they see no improvement,  in fact the opposite.    Never mind that the vast majority of road use is use by private cars, even in cities.   Never mind that private car owners are the ones paying for the roads (and a lot more).   

No,   car owners are selfish bastards making it harder for the very few that don't drive.   Never mind none of it would even exist if it wasn't for car owners.

So we will be forced to build sidewalks,  bike paths,  traffic calming devices on all roads, even if they were very busy highways or in industrial areas where no one lives (or would want to live).  Whether or not those things would ever be used.  No exemptions.   Yes,  the site says it would be flexible but in the places where these rules have been made into law,  they are anything but.   Required and not flexable. 

From the website above:
"Among the places with some form of Complete Streets policy are the states of Oregon, California, Illinois, North Carolina, Minnesota, Connecticut, and Florida. The City of Santa Barbara, California calls for “achieving equality of convenience and choice” for pedestrians, bicyclists, transit users, and drivers. Columbia, Missouri adopted new street standards to encourage healthy bicycling and walking. And the regional body that allocates federal transportation dollars around Columbus, Ohio has directed all projects provide for people on foot, bicycle, and public transportation."

It's just another anti-freedom, anti-suburb,  anti-individual (the biggest irony),  anti-car,  anti-new construction,  brought to you by urban "planners". 

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 07:04:08 PM »
But I bet Chicago, Newark, Detroit, etc. does.  So much for 'access to opportunity'.

Camden, NJ too - "Sidewalk am make it easier to run up to & mug-shoot-kill peoples you don't like."

They also attract hookers (female, male...other), drug dealers, etc.

See what we need are less sidewalks!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 08:33:57 PM »
I don't know if many of you know about the "complete street"  agenda of the "smart" growth crowd.   This is what these people are actually talking about.

Wow, they almost make Agenda 21 sound sane by comparison (almost).

This last Friday morning, at approximately 04:30 I was traveling through my neighborhood in my car - within my lane and under the posted limit. Conditions were dark but clear. The street had streetlights and road pattern was basically a grid (no turns).

I came to an intersection and started my turn when there was an almost imperceptible flicker of black on blacker going by my window. No warning, no reason to expect him - he wasn't anywhere near where he belonged. A bicyclist wearing all-black clothing, no reflectors, no lights, on the wrong side of the street, and going against traffic. Oh, and although there is a bicycle alne on that particular road this guy wasn't using it.

I suspect that I missed him by 3-4 inches. At the speed I was traveling a collision would have resulted in his death - I doubt anyone could have survived.

Only through the grace of God did he skinny by.

The point of this exercise is that, even in the very best of conditions cars and bikes don't mix. Cars and pedestrians is even worse. Where I live banning vehicles would be the relegation to 3rd world status. Most people would either abandon what they have and move or stubbornly hang onto what once was and die.

Cut to the chase - I will eliminate with prejudice anyone who attempts this against me or my family.

Is that clear enough?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 12:20:35 PM »

Wow, they almost make Agenda 21 sound sane by comparison (almost).

This last Friday morning, at approximately 04:30 I was traveling through my neighborhood in my car - within my lane and under the posted limit. Conditions were dark but clear. The street had streetlights and road pattern was basically a grid (no turns).

I came to an intersection and started my turn when there was an almost imperceptible flicker of black on blacker going by my window. No warning, no reason to expect him - he wasn't anywhere near where he belonged. A bicyclist wearing all-black clothing, no reflectors, no lights, on the wrong side of the street, and going against traffic. Oh, and although there is a bicycle alne on that particular road this guy wasn't using it.

I suspect that I missed him by 3-4 inches. At the speed I was traveling a collision would have resulted in his death - I doubt anyone could have survived.

Only through the grace of God did he skinny by.

The point of this exercise is that, even in the very best of conditions cars and bikes don't mix. Cars and pedestrians is even worse. Where I live banning vehicles would be the relegation to 3rd world status. Most people would either abandon what they have and move or stubbornly hang onto what once was and die.

Cut to the chase - I will eliminate with prejudice anyone who attempts this against me or my family.

Is that clear enough?

Gotchya.

People in Murderapolis get reduced street lanes to commute in, more free pavement for bicyclists who ignore the traffic rules as well as the existing foot traffic who can't ignore what they never knew.

And in St Paul transiting homeless are crossing streets wearing all black clothing...and sporting black skin...and get bitchie when I can't see them and come close to sending them to Gaia...

Some people are too stupid to live...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.