Author Topic: Not that I ever felt particularly secure in the digital world anyway...  (Read 1149 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-hacking-your-phone/

Hackers run the world, yeah, there's a shocking headline.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
The only thing my phone does is make calls and occasionally a text. I keep the data, wifi, gps, and all the other crap turned off.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
The only thing my phone does is make calls and occasionally a text. I keep the data, wifi, gps, and all the other crap turned off.

Got it. But, listening to the 60 Minutes piece, your phone's hackable regardless...because they're entering via the carrier's network, not your specific phone.

OTOH, Baskin Robbins & Wendy's tell me my log-in credentials are safe beyond measure - no need to worry about my monthly points being siphoned off by some internet monster!  ;D
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
SS7  I am sure is hack-able, but its a point to point link between 40 year old telecom switches.  Its not easy to find or access, and you would need a bunch of other equipment to actually do anything useful - like send a call through where one could intercept it.   These testers had such access and equipment, and I am sure the govt does to. The average hacker? No in your life. Most would never have heard of SS7, since the protocol and network are 100% divorced form the internet. The Mobile network  uses SS7 eventually, but then its the same deal. Getting access would be a pain. Using that access to do anything would be even harder.

And They hacked a phone, and all they had to do was get someone to download and open a text from someone they didn't know on a phone they prepared for the purpose?  OoooH. Scary.

Looks like someone was trying to justify their funding.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
I just remember that we used to pick up cellphone conversations on the scanner and that taught me all I needed to know about privacy.

There's always someone poking their nose in your business.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
My scanner would pick that up too, good old RadioShack unit, still works.

If I know somebody is in my business, I'll pull my finger...just to be a stinker!   ;)
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.