Author Topic: Best Buy considering selling cars  (Read 7892 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Best Buy considering selling cars
« on: May 10, 2011, 11:49:53 AM »
Since gas prices are up, hybrid and electric vehicles like the Chevy Volt and the Nissan Leaf are looking more and more attractive. And when you start shopping for a new electric vehicle, Best Buy might eventually be on the list of dealerships you visit. “The Minneapolis-based chain is hoping to segue into the EV sales market in the long-term,” writes Automobile Magazine. “Selling electric vehicles would not be completely new territory for Best Buy, as they are already selling the Brammo electric motorcycle and will be the customer’s point of contact for 240-volt home chargers for the 2012 Mitsubishi i EV and 2013 Ford Focus Electric.”

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/daily-news/110510-Best-Buy-Looks-to-Sell-EVs-In-Store/

I'm sure a certain percentage of sheeple will buy these things.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
Re: Best Buy considering selling cars
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 11:56:58 AM »
You will never see cars there!
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 12:00:49 PM »
Since gas prices are up, hybrid and electric vehicles like the Chevy Volt and the Nissan Leaf are looking more and more attractive.

Well, that was the plan, wasn't it?  Create an artificial market through punitive regulation and imposed hardship?

I'd like to ...... meh; better not say.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 12:05:00 PM »
Well, that was the plan, wasn't it?  Create an artificial market through punitive regulation and imposed hardship?

Unfortunately for the them, too many Americans expect a car they want to drive.  No one aspires to a car they have to drive.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 12:07:27 PM »
They made the mistake of over-building stores and turned their corporate headquarters into a ghost town and now they think they can step into this and succeed, and with these POS's?

I don't care how maany smug fart-sniffing proglodytes they think they can lure...this venture would doom this company once and for all!

They are truly nucking futs!

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 12:33:50 PM »
They made the mistake of over-building stores and turned their corporate headquarters into a ghost town and now they think they can step into this and succeed, and with these POS's?

I don't care how maany smug fart-sniffing proglodytes they think they can lure...this venture would doom this company once and for all!

They will never get cars for resale!!!Two words: "FRANCHISE AGREEMENTS"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 12:46:32 PM »

Hmm, good point.  Unless they can swing a deal on that point they won't be doing any such thing.  But people can be bought, question is what's the asking price and what can the buyer afford?

Frankly, they are nuts to even float the idea, it should've never escaped someones brain...

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 12:51:37 PM »

Hmm, good point.  Unless they can swing a deal on that point they won't be doing any such thing.  But people can be bought, question is what's the asking price and what can the buyer afford?

Frankly, they are nuts to even float the idea, it should've never escaped someones brain...

Nothing about best buys conforms to what the factory demand that a dealer have and the licencing bureaus make demands and the dealers in the area won't allow then in their turf and the factory has signed contracts that give the dealers the territory. So this guy is blowing smoke up every bodys AZZ.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 12:55:24 PM »

Hmm, good point.  Unless they can swing a deal on that point they won't be doing any such thing.  But people can be bought, question is what's the asking price and what can the buyer afford?

Nothing about best buys conforms to what the factory demand that a dealer have and the licencing bureaus make demands and the dealers in the area won't allow then in their turf and the factory has signed contracts that give the dealers the territory. So this guy is blowing smoke up every bodys AZZ.

Then I am left with the inescapable conclusion that this guy is going through all this BS for what, just to kiss the butts of smug fart-sniffing eco-nazi proglodytes?

Pretty sucky approach he's got there!  What about the non-proglodyte customers he's disrespecting?

::whatgives::

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 12:58:30 PM »
Would I be out of line here for suggesting that the old rule of contract/laws no longer apply?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 01:04:47 PM »
Would I be out of line here for suggesting that the old rule of contract/laws no longer apply?

Yes, and no, in todays muddled world, I guess the party with the better trial lawyers and political connections may likely swing the balance.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 06:31:26 PM »

Yes.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 06:38:00 PM »

Yes, and no, in todays muddled world, I guess the party with the better trial lawyers and political connections may likely swing the balance.

This isn't the Feds making a deal with a court over bankruptcy. This is the dealers all over the country that aren't giving an inch of turf to anybody. These guy that are still in business have huge investments just just the physical structures to even become dealers. They had to pass by what the factory demands you have as a building,parking lot for the inventory,parts,service ans signage.

Then they have to pass state licencing requirements in dealer and repairers licencing. The factory even tell you what the lighting outside has to be.

How many of the best buy stores do think will come close to any of the requirements??They don't even service the products they sell now.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 06:38:59 PM »

Unfortunately for the them, too many Americans expect a car they want to drive.  No one aspires to a car they have to drive.

Your liberal urban hive-dwellers might not mind. They don't consider a car an aspiration, only a mode of transportation that the lucky few should own while the rest ride the city bus or the choo-choo train.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 06:39:07 PM »

Yes.

Really.

Want to tell that to the GM dealers whose franchises were cancelled for .... pick any ole political damn reason?

How about to the GM bondholders who were told to take what they were given during the bailout or get stuffed, when they should have been first to get theirs, so the unions got it instead?

Want to tell that to the banks who were ordered to take porkulus money, even when they said no?

I could go on, but that's enough.

So, tell me again, how the usual contract law applies anywhere now if the government decides it doesn't.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011, 06:45:05 PM »
...This isn't the Feds making a deal with a court over bankruptcy. This is the dealers all over the country that aren't giving an inch of turf to anybody. These guy that are still in business have huge investments just just the physical structures to even become dealers. They had to pass by what the factory demands you have as a building,parking lot for the inventory,parts,service ans signage....

Oh, you mean like the many hundreds of dealers that were arbitrarily shut down by GM and Chrysler at the demand of the federal government? All those businessmen who played by the rules and did everything right, who thought they had "turf" to protect, but who were summarily told that they were no longer in business?

I would suggest that your well-respected insiders view here was valid pre-Obama John. It seems to me that things we once assumed as fact and practices we once assumed were sacred have had the foundations yanked out from under them.

In the New World, if the federal government wants Best Buy to sell electric cars, then Best Buy will sell electric cars, assuming that the proper homage is paid.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 07:02:02 PM »
...This isn't the Feds making a deal with a court over bankruptcy. This is the dealers all over the country that aren't giving an inch of turf to anybody. These guy that are still in business have huge investments just just the physical structures to even become dealers. They had to pass by what the factory demands you have as a building,parking lot for the inventory,parts,service ans signage....

Oh, you mean like the many hundreds of dealers that were arbitrarily shut down by GM and Chrysler at the demand of the federal government? All those businessmen who played by the rules and did everything right, who thought they had "turf" to protect, but who were summarily told that they were no longer in business?

I would suggest that your well-respected insiders view here was valid pre-Obama John. It seems to me that things we once assumed as fact and practices we once assumed were sacred have had the foundations yanked out from under them.

In the New World, if the federal government wants Best Buy to sell electric cars, then Best Buy will sell electric cars, assuming that the proper homage is paid.

The only way they got away with it was through a bankruptcy court. Do you think they're willing to do that one again?? That would be the end of the American Auto industry in this country.Best buy doesn't have the money to take on all those dealers and not to mention the Korean and Japanese governments that will back their dealers.
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 07:22:58 PM »

The only way they got away with it was through a bankruptcy court. Do you think they're willing to do that one again?? That would be the end of the American Auto industry in this country.Best buy doesn't have the money to take on all those dealers and not to mention the Korean and Japanese governments that will back their dealers.

IIRC, they didn't go through bankruptcy court!  THAT'S the problem!

charlesoakwood

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2011, 07:45:10 PM »

and all they will need to do is reread the requirements and discover that sales of electric vehicles do not come under the same requirements as those toxic gasoline powered vehicles.

In fact upon further review it seems many dealership (especially Ford and Toyota) properties will be reclassified as hazardous toxic areas that will require extensive reclamation.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2011, 07:45:35 PM »
If BestBuy starts pumping money into selling electric cars.... ::hysterical::

Make sure thier stock is not in any of your 401K's.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.