Author Topic: Best Buy considering selling cars  (Read 7890 times)

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
Re: Best Buy considering selling cars
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2011, 08:11:35 PM »
...This isn't the Feds making a deal with a court over bankruptcy. This is the dealers all over the country that aren't giving an inch of turf to anybody. These guy that are still in business have huge investments just just the physical structures to even become dealers. They had to pass by what the factory demands you have as a building,parking lot for the inventory,parts,service ans signage....

Oh, you mean like the many hundreds of dealers that were arbitrarily shut down by GM and Chrysler at the demand of the federal government? All those businessmen who played by the rules and did everything right, who thought they had "turf" to protect, but who were summarily told that they were no longer in business?

I would suggest that your well-respected insiders view here was valid pre-Obama John. It seems to me that things we once assumed as fact and practices we once assumed were sacred have had the foundations yanked out from under them.

In the New World, if the federal government wants Best Buy to sell electric cars, then Best Buy will sell electric cars, assuming that the proper homage is paid.

The only way they got away with it was through a bankruptcy court. Do you think they're willing to do that one again?? That would be the end of the American Auto industry in this country.Best buy doesn't have the money to take on all those dealers and not to mention the Korean and Japanese governments that will back their dealers.

IIRC, they didn't go through bankruptcy court!  THAT'S the problem!

They did do an orchestrated bankruptcy. The franchise agreement laws are a bitch in favor of the franchisee. This isn't going to happen. The only thing they will be selling are golf carts.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2011, 08:47:44 PM »
...This isn't the Feds making a deal with a court over bankruptcy. This is the dealers all over the country that aren't giving an inch of turf to anybody. These guy that are still in business have huge investments just just the physical structures to even become dealers. They had to pass by what the factory demands you have as a building,parking lot for the inventory,parts,service ans signage....

Oh, you mean like the many hundreds of dealers that were arbitrarily shut down by GM and Chrysler at the demand of the federal government? All those businessmen who played by the rules and did everything right, who thought they had "turf" to protect, but who were summarily told that they were no longer in business?

I would suggest that your well-respected insiders view here was valid pre-Obama John. It seems to me that things we once assumed as fact and practices we once assumed were sacred have had the foundations yanked out from under them.

In the New World, if the federal government wants Best Buy to sell electric cars, then Best Buy will sell electric cars, assuming that the proper homage is paid.

The only way they got away with it was through a bankruptcy court. Do you think they're willing to do that one again?? That would be the end of the American Auto industry in this country.Best buy doesn't have the money to take on all those dealers and not to mention the Korean and Japanese governments that will back their dealers.

They did do an orchestrated bankruptcy. The franchise agreement laws are a bitch in favor of the franchisee. This isn't going to happen. The only thing they will be selling are golf carts.

You keep repeating that as though an "orchestrated bankruptcy" proceeded according to the rules and that the gawdamned government is not going to do, through sticks and carrots and ignoring the law, exactly as they please.

I'll repeat, and for the last time, it didn't matter with GM and it isn't going to matter with any other business.

Fer crissake, John.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2011, 09:24:31 PM »

You keep repeating that as though an "orchestrated bankruptcy" proceeded according to the rules and that the gawdamned government is not going to do, through sticks and carrots and ignoring the law, exactly as they please.

I'll repeat, and for the last time, it didn't matter with GM and it isn't going to matter with any other business.

Fer crissake, John.

The point is that the government was actively involved last time this time it's factory versus dealers on a territorial dispute. The territotries are drawn up by population numbers and land area where the numbers aren't there. Now that the territories are redrawn it's even harder for the factory to muscle them even of the franchise agreements need to be renewed it's all grandfathered in.
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2011, 09:30:44 PM »

I'm afraid she's right, you are presuming a rule of law, at this time we have the most lawless Federal government in history and expecting the law to apply, especially in big money or big stakes, is high  ::pimp:: speculation. 

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2011, 09:45:45 PM »

Fer crissake, John.

The point is that the government was actively involved last time this time it's factory versus dealers on a territorial dispute. The territotries are drawn up by population numbers and land area where the numbers aren't there. Now that the territories are redrawn it's even harder for the factory to muscle them even of the franchise agreements need to be renewed it's all grandfathered in.

And you're forgetting it's not a product at offer here, these vehicles, it's a friggin government program, that they'll see succeed if it bankrupts every other dealer, of every other type, in the country, because it doesn't matter to them who sells them as long as they're peddled.

The old rule of law/contract is dead for now, until we get our own boots on their necks.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2011, 09:50:17 PM »
...This isn't going to happen. The only thing they will be selling are golf carts.

Glorified golf carts is the wave of the future baby. Catch it! Best Buy is.
 ::pokeineye::

What better way to usher OUT the era of the combustion engine automobile than to allow electronic retailers to sell "cars" in direct competition with auto dealers? Completely change the dynamic, further ruin an industry, and set up the government lackey corporations as suppliers in the new fascist infrastructure.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2011, 10:05:01 PM »

Order online and receive a buyers bonus!

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2011, 10:23:06 PM »
I'm gonna make a prediction and you guys can nail me on it later. BEST BUY WILL NEVER BE A CAR DEALER.What best buy wants and what they're gonna get are light years apart.If they want to deal cars they will have to buy existing dealers, the end.
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2011, 10:28:10 PM »
Anybody else 'round here recognize the need for a "throwing hands in the air" smilie?

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2011, 10:46:24 PM »
Anybody else 'round here recognize the need for a "throwing hands in the air" smilie?

::thinking::...... ::gaah::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2011, 10:53:07 PM »

::thinking::...... ::gaah::

Yep; guess that'll have to do.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2011, 06:53:52 AM »
I don't think it will happen, not for the reason John states, but because from a strategic business standpoint it makes no sense and for the fact that it would tie up enourmous amounts of capital and present cash flow risks to a retail chain that is already subject to economic swings and consumer whim.

Being the Devil's advocate, you grease enough of the right palms, have a cutthroat legal outfit on retainer, a top-flight PR firm and the ears of maleable politicians and anybody could do anything.

But this idea is DOA for purely business reasons IMO.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2011, 10:57:06 AM »
I don't think it will happen, not for the reason John states, but because from a strategic business standpoint it makes no sense and for the fact that it would tie up enourmous amounts of capital and present cash flow risks to a retail chain that is already subject to economic swings and consumer whim.

Being the Devil's advocate, you grease enough of the right palms, have a cutthroat legal outfit on retainer, a top-flight PR firm and the ears of maleable politicians and anybody could do anything.

Good!! Now go back and read my posts #7-12 and 16.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2011, 11:36:47 AM »

Good!! Now go back and read my posts #7-12 and 16.

No!  And you can't make me!

:P

I know why you want me to but I ain't getting sucked into that bankruptcy argument, cause I think Pan is right on that score...cannot compare a freely made business decision with the filthy Auto deal...shareholders and especially bondholders and dealers were drilled in the ass, had their wealth looted and businesses ended by executive fiat and they were never allowed their day in court.

Damn, ya sucked me in anyway!

::cussing:: JF!

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2011, 11:40:58 AM »

Amazing how he does that, innit?

Remember how I wrote elsewhere that once *some* people get something in their heads, that's it?  That's him.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2011, 11:44:41 AM »

Remember how I wrote elsewhere that once *some* people get something in their heads, that's it?  That's him.

::hysterical::

A dog and his bone...

Stop growling JF!

;D

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2011, 01:02:47 PM »

A dog and his bone...

Stop growling JF!

;D

I said all the same things you did.There is no bankrupcy argument.I said the they could not qualify with their buildings and that they could not afford the legal battle they would get from the dealers Americam ans I included Korea and Japan.Yoiu say it better but I did make all those arguments.
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2011, 01:28:50 PM »
don't let middleman dealers jack up your costs!

BEST BUY Factory Direct Electric Cars

come in and complete your order or order online for discount

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2011, 01:36:36 PM »
don't let middleman dealers jack up your costs!

BEST BUY Factory Direct Electric Cars

come in and complete your order or order online for discount

::mooning::
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2011, 06:58:19 AM »

A dog and his bone...

Stop growling JF!

;D

I said all the same things you did.There is no bankrupcy argument.I said the they could not qualify with their buildings and that they could not afford the legal battle they would get from the dealers Americam ans I included Korea and Japan.Yoiu say it better but I did make all those arguments.

Well allrighty then.  Maybe I imagined disagreement where none existed.

We may resume regularly scheduled programming.

;)