Author Topic: Schools may ban flavored milk over added sugar  (Read 5393 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: Schools may ban flavored milk over added sugar
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2011, 09:26:44 AM »
Parents refusing to stand up are definitely part of the problem and how the "authorities" get away with this nonsense.  Bunch of them don't have an opinion and don't care, other bunch don't want to rock the boat, another bunch probably agree; that leaves a minority like you who are none of the former.

In the old days, my Mother would've been one of the ones fit to be tied over her parental authority being usurped and undermined.

" In the Old Days " , ( fifty plus years ago ) my Mother never missed a PTA meeting which was the venue for this sort of thing to be discussed . I can guarentee you that if the parents said "no" ... that meant "NO" ! My Mother was usually one of the loudest "NO" voices during PTA meetings . Come to think of it ... She said that a lot at home too !

You mean she wouldn't have needed a story like this?

How To Say No To Your Teen, And Stick To It
CHICAGO (CBS) – Remember the good old days, when all you had to do was say, “No,” and your little one obeyed immediately?

The word, “No,” is probably one of the first your kids learned.

But just like those pudgy cheeks, those days are gone once they become teenagers.

CBS 2’s Roseanne Tellez has this advice for saying, “No,” to your teenager, and sticking to it.

(video)

“They’re going to try on new identities. and so they’re going to challenge you more,” said Dr. Sharon Hirsch, director of adolescent and child psychiatry at the University of Chicago Medical Center. “Typically you hear about battles over clothing, makeup, staying out late, who people date, do they get to text.”

The biggest battles may be over material possessions. Parents say it’s sometimes hard to say no.

That issue is something the Lucia family can relate to.

“This is a big, big pressure,” said Tom Lucia. “You know, ‘Everyone has it, so why can’t I.’”
<snip>
5) Remember you’re not your child’s friend. Dr. Hirsch says stay calm when you’re saying no but stick to your guns and remember you’re the parent and they need your guidance.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2011, 10:11:14 AM »
No , she wouldn't . We knew damned well what "no" meant whether from her or my dad . They didn't put up with much foolishness . I took the same tack with my own kids and they've turned out fine . I was a lot like my parents in that I wasn't about to let a kid , whether seven or seventeen , tell me how things were going to be . It's also not just a matter of discipline . Leadership is key . That's when you get them to do what you want them to do with out lowering the boom . They just have to be aware that you keep the "boom" handy when it's needed . Old Fashioned ... But it works .  ;D

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2011, 11:03:46 AM »
No , she wouldn't . We knew damned well what "no" meant whether from her or my dad . They didn't put up with much foolishness . I took the same tack with my own kids and they've turned out fine . I was a lot like my parents in that I wasn't about to let a kid , whether seven or seventeen , tell me how things were going to be . It's also not just a matter of discipline . Leadership is key . That's when you get them to do what you want them to do with out lowering the boom . They just have to be aware that you keep the "boom" handy when it's needed . Old Fashioned ... But it works .  ;D

My two monsters knew a couple of thing would happen sure as the sun rises from the East!! I carried out all my threats to the letter and I kept all my promises to the letter. But like all kids they had to test it as often as they could work up the nerve. They also knew what it meant when I just got up and walked away from the conversation.

If the pushed the results were never what they wanted.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2011, 12:30:30 PM »
No , she wouldn't . We knew damned well what "no" meant whether from her or my dad . They didn't put up with much foolishness . I took the same tack with my own kids and they've turned out fine . I was a lot like my parents in that I wasn't about to let a kid , whether seven or seventeen , tell me how things were going to be . It's also not just a matter of discipline . Leadership is key . That's when you get them to do what you want them to do with out lowering the boom .  They just have to be aware that you keep the "boom" handy when it's needed . Old Fashioned ... But it works .  ;D

You are so right--it's about leadership.  I laid the groundwork when mine were little. I made it clear and I stayed consistent on how things were going to be in this house. Nothing is arbitrary in my decisions and humor's almost always a part of it. I have to be the adult and not act like a child.  But it's not just about negative behavior--there's the expectations you lay out for your kids when they're young.  My kids do chores around the house everyday and they get jobs by the time they're 16 if not before. They want extras they buy it themselves. Fun comes after doing your work. They understand they are part of a family and they participate in that family.  I didn't have kids so I'd have something to do.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2011, 12:40:26 PM »
No , she wouldn't . We knew damned well what "no" meant whether from her or my dad . They didn't put up with much foolishness . I took the same tack with my own kids and they've turned out fine . I was a lot like my parents in that I wasn't about to let a kid , whether seven or seventeen , tell me how things were going to be . It's also not just a matter of discipline . Leadership is key . That's when you get them to do what you want them to do with out lowering the boom .  They just have to be aware that you keep the "boom" handy when it's needed . Old Fashioned ... But it works .  ;D

You are so right--it's about leadership.  I laid the groundwork when mine were little. I made it clear and I stayed consistent on how things were going to be in this house. Nothing is arbitrary in my decisions and humor's almost always a part of it. I have to be the adult and not act like a child.  But it's not just about negative behavior--there's the expectations you lay out for your kids when they're young.  My kids do chores around the house everyday and they get jobs by the time they're 16 if not before. They want extras they buy it themselves. Fun comes after doing your work. They understand they are part of a family and they participate in that family.  I didn't have kids so I'd have something to do.

Good for you !  ::thumbsup::