Topics > Hobbies & Crafts

A New Hobby

(1/4) > >>

fordguy_85:
So, having decided that I lacked a sufficient number of hobbies to consume all my time, i.e. Reloading, long range shooting, fishing, painting lures, etc. I decided I should take up blacksmithing and bladesmithing. And naturally, leatherwork and woodwork for the knives and sheaths...

So anyway, here is a pic of a blade I forged from a ball bearing outer race that I'm almost ready for heat treating that has about a 4" blade. Also pictured is my concept drawing. I plan for copper spacers, and both walnut and maple handle materials...

Any of you guys do any 'smithing?

Weisshaupt:

--- Quote from: fordguy_85 on May 17, 2016, 08:03:19 PM ---So, having decided that I lacked a sufficient number of hobbies to consume all my time, i.e. Reloading, long range shooting, fishing, painting lures, etc. I decided I should take up blacksmithing and bladesmithing. And naturally, leatherwork and woodwork for the knives and sheaths...

So anyway, here is a pic of a blade I forged from a ball bearing outer race that I'm almost ready for heat treating that has about a 4" blade. Also pictured is my concept drawing. I plan for copper spacers, and both walnut and maple handle materials...

Any of you guys do any 'smithing?

--- End quote ---

I tried it once. Like all things done with my hands, I can get a serviceable and ugly result.
What are you using as a forge?

fordguy_85:
I have a forge I built from a brake drum, but a coworker has a largish portable forge with hand crank blower that he is going to give me... Also don't have an actual "anvil" as far as a London pattern anvil goes, but a hefty block of 4150 chromoly steel that seems to do quite well so far.

Here's a pic of the anvil with a bottle opener/grilling fork I forged when I first got started...

IronDioPriest:
Wow, I'm impressed. Man-card well-played!

Libertas:
Being able to make useful stuff is a good skill to have and if you enjoy it then you've hit the sweet spot.  I expect I'll be more serious about it the closer I get to retirement if not sooner.  I considered smithing, it's still on my list.  I'll be interested in following your methods, materials and creations.
 ::thumbsup::

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version