Author Topic: Philippines: This Changes Everything  (Read 8405 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Philippines: This Changes Everything
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2016, 04:13:50 PM »
Heh!

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte called Barack Obama a "son of a whore" on Monday as he vowed not to be lectured by the US leader on human rights when they meet in Laos.

The acid-tongued Duterte bristled at warnings he would face questioning by the US president over a war against drugs in the Philippines that has claimed more than 2,400 lives in just over two months.

"You must be respectful. Do not just throw away questions and statements. Son of a whore, I will curse you in that forum," Duterte told a news conference shortly before flying to Laos to attend a summit.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/afp/article-3774386/Philippines-Duterte-calls-Barack-Obama-son-whore.html

Man, I hope there is some good video of this meeting!   ::whoohoo::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2016, 04:21:06 PM »
Ă˜dungo just cancelled their meeting....

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2016, 04:27:34 PM »
 ::hysterical::

What a wuss! 

I guess he took too much a battering from Putin...Rodrigo would have eaten him alive!

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2016, 06:02:09 PM »
Duterte obviously isn't impressed by a beta poser.

::curtsy4::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2016, 12:12:10 PM »
"Instead of helping us, the first to criticize is this State Department, so you can go to hell, Mr. Obama, you can go to hell," Duterte said. Then addressing the EU, he said: "Better choose purgatory, hell is filled up."

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-10-04/philippines-president-tells-obama-you-can-go-hell-i-will-buy-weapons-russia

Heh.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2016, 06:32:18 PM »
His Hitler comment pretty much had no defenders.  Godwin's Law is something you get the other side to impose, you don't impose it on yourself!   :o

The guy isn't a moron.  He sees what America has done to various countries over the past 20 years or so.  He knows an America that worries more about lactation stations for its troops, and is now promoting by skin color and what you stick your richard into is not going to defend the Philippines from anything.  It's an ugly world out there and more will be picking the least ugly option...kind of like the American election.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2016, 06:44:36 AM »
Yeah...he steps in it on occasion, but he's been more right than wrong.  1,000 times better than the SCoaMF or Hitlery, that's for dang sure!

I'm kinda in more of a SMOD mood now though...a sure-fire way to end the misery.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2016, 03:04:04 PM »
And this is why you have to pass for native,  but I am sure ToddF has a perspective to share :)

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/americans-philippines-jittery-duterte-rails-against-united-states-031557543.html

The talk is of Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte's tensions with Washington and his courting of China, which is worrying the bar's mostly American clients who have settled in the vicinity of the huge Subic Bay base, a former U.S. navy installation.

"The biggest fear is that one day he's going to wake up and say 'everybody from the U.S., get out of town' and we'd have to leave our loved ones behind," said Jack Walker, a retired Marine sergeant who has lived in Olongapo, the town around the base, for five years.

Duterte would be a fool to do that of course, but the danger of inciting  passions against the "other" is that those passion might be acted upon,  or calls will start for them to be acted upon and get all of those dirty F'ing ugly Americans out of the country.  The natural response to forced globalism is nationalism and tribalism, and if you aren't part of the local tribe that sucks.   Of course, the greenback still has value, and as long as it does, I don't see any serious attempts to purge those with it ( unless they can keep those funds, but I suspect may expats still use other banking systems )  When the dollar goes,   there won't be anything holding them back.  Papers Please.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 05:11:20 PM by Weisshaupt »

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2016, 05:00:20 PM »
Duterte has a long history of not liking the American government interfering in local affairs.  This is the perfect example of a journalist making up a narrative and finding someone to confirm it. 

Why didn't they interview Americans in Davao, who have lived under Duterte for decades?  Why just a sexpat or two in a girly bar, a thousand miles away?

http://liveinthephilippines.com/content/get-out-americans/

I trust this guy more than a couple of journotards looking to confirm a narrative.  Plus, Duterte knows a large chunk of the Filipino GDP comes from overseas workers.  He's not going to screw that up.  He just wants the military out.  He isn't the first to do such.

I'm only here through the "winter" before I move on.  There I will watch over the longer term.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2016, 05:22:16 PM »
Duterte has a long history of not liking the American government interfering in local affairs.  This is the perfect example of a journalist making up a narrative and finding someone to confirm it. 

Why didn't they interview Americans in Davao, who have lived under Duterte for decades?  Why just a sexpat or two in a girly bar, a thousand miles away?

http://liveinthephilippines.com/content/get-out-americans/

I trust this guy more than a couple of journotards looking to confirm a narrative.  Plus, Duterte knows a large chunk of the Filipino GDP comes from overseas workers.  He's not going to screw that up.  He just wants the military out.  He isn't the first to do such.

I'm only here through the "winter" before I move on.  There I will watch over the longer term.

Oh, didn't realize your situation was temporary. I had gotten the idea you had decided to settle there for the long term.

The problem isn't so much what Duterte said, its that its open to interpretation.  This article you posted  says Davao reporter are better at correctly understanding what he says, and I can take that as true at face value.  But what about those natives already harboring envy or resentment against foreigners? Will they also get Davao interpreters? Anti-foreigner/Nationalistic sentiment can take on a mind of its own regardless of its leaders or how its incited - and the Philippines isn't so western as to actually think such sentiments are racist or immoral. They are the status quo.

As long as Dollar is King, I don't see him dislodging anyone forecfully - even the military. But that doesn't mean that anti-American sentiment won't kill business deals, and if Duterte leads a pivot to China,  then you can bet there will be people willing to follow.  I don't blame them if they do - given China's geographic per-eminence and America's dwindling power and prestige , tightening of relationships with China is probably prudent, but one can also see how that circumstance will increase Anti-American sentiment. Then, when the dollar isn't worth squat, and all of those expats living on the dollar savings they had , can no longer do so.. ...all while massive numbers of American's flee America's conflicts and collapse to popular ex-pat locations like the Philippines - how will sentiment sour even more then?   

This in itself is nothing. But it is also , I believe, a harbinger of larger movements.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2016, 05:31:05 PM »
Right now the dollar is worth more here, thanks to his spooking markets and business people. 

Again, he's said nothing anti-American.  He's said plenty about people elsewhere sticking their noses into Filipino business.  Euros and Americans alike.  Frankly, I think it's about time people start standing up for themselves, against the patronizing attitude of a failing America and Europe.  This is just the beginning of that.  And as you hint at, you have to cover all your bases in a post Obama world.  That includes China and Russia.  When all sides are ugly, you try to play the middle.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2016, 08:26:54 PM »
I think he knows a difference between American's living there and contributing to PI economy and not messing with their culture vs political deadheads and jurnotards on safari and corporatist goons raping and pillaging the nation with impunity.  If he kicked the scum out who's to blame him?

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2016, 08:57:08 PM »
http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/826739/filipinos-trust-us-more-than-china-says-survey

Eyeballing the graphs, net trust in China (the country shipping all the meth/Shabu to the Philippines) -30, America, +70.

That's why I always take the hysteria of AFP or the AP at face value.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2016, 11:29:12 AM »
I think what angst there is at America is largely centered on the moronic O'Bongo Regime as much as anything and with China it is driven by fears most have in the region of an aggressive regime contesting their islands and manufacturing news ones and acting like punks in others areas as Todd mentioned.

I would think that sentiment is similar in Taiwan and Japan...same in South Korea except there it is weighted more to the North than China but China still an influence regardless.

I don't know about Singapore or Malaysia, they seem pretty neutral in general, the Switzerland's of Asia...the Thai's and Indian's are pals with China and figure prominently in their String Of Pearls strategy...Vietnam is a wildcard...would be nice to at least keep them neutral...they and China have never been overly cozy.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2016, 06:07:20 PM »
There is the small group that hates America (communists and muslim trash) and they were out yesterday.

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/826954/violent-dispersal-of-us-embassy-protesters-ordered-by-mpd-exec-groups

All international coverage refers to "workers, students, and tribes people."  I was watching TV news of this last night and caught the word "moro" several time.  For one thing, "workers" don't have time to protest, here.  They're too busy working.  Students is just code for communists and sure enough, "tribes people" refers to Muslims.  So yes, 1,000 Muslims and Communists protested in front of the embassy, shutting down Roxas Blvd. (the main street along the bay.)  Unlike the Twin Cities, cops went ahead and started to clear the road.

THIS reinforces to me to always have a little situational awareness.  Not that I worry too much about getting the Reginald Denny treatment, as long as I wasn't an asshole, and told them to their face what I really  thought about Muslims and Communists.   ::devil::

Especially as this is my neighborhood, and I do take a lot of walks in that direction, as Luneta Park and Intramuros is in that direction.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 06:16:48 PM by ToddF »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2016, 07:10:14 PM »
Nobody likes muzzies and commies...except muzzies and communists...and proglodyte trash, so...   ::mooning::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2016, 08:47:43 AM »
Interesting. 

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-10-20/caught-tape-filipino-police-run-over-anti-american-protesters-they-storm-us-embassy

China pivot?  Yeah, I doubt that...they want to stay independent, not look for a new lord to serve.  This China crap is commie wet dream BS.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2016, 05:10:23 PM »
I wish it was a wet dream.  Looks like Duterte is going Full Retard on China and Russia.  The Taiwan animators are less than impressed, I'm guessing.

http://us.tomonews.com/duterte-tells-u-s-the-philippines-can-do-it-alone-%E2%80%94-with-china-and-russia-s-help-3184378

People don't like Presidents lying to them and Duterte lied to everyone about his intentions on China.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2016, 05:25:41 PM »
I wish it was a wet dream.  Looks like Duterte is going Full Retard on China and Russia.  The Taiwan animators are less than impressed, I'm guessing.

http://us.tomonews.com/duterte-tells-u-s-the-philippines-can-do-it-alone-%E2%80%94-with-china-and-russia-s-help-3184378

People don't like Presidents lying to them and Duterte lied to everyone about his intentions on China.

Bigger movements.  We cannot she what pressures and threats are being made  outside the view of the cameras.  In order for Duterte to play the middle, as you suggested, he has to put on a convincing show. He may not be any more pro-China or Pro-Russian than before when he expressed different sentiments  -  but the world is changing, and the smaller guys will have to step lightly to avoid being crushed.. I think more and more of the world is figuring out that American weakness is permanent, and that the age of the US throwing its weight around , and both militarily and economically, are coming to a close - no matter who is elected President.  Russia is sailing warships through the English channel.  China is building military bases just off the coast of Japan. Iran and North Korea are now Nuclear powers.  The emperor has no clothes, and the Philippines  had better look to make nice with the new warlords.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2016, 09:52:16 PM »
Lots of smaller countries have also learned that it's less dangerous to be one of America's enemies than one of its allies.  We routinely get leaders of our client nations far out on a limb they'd rather not be on, and then leave them hanging. It doesn't go unnoticed.

So Duterte has announced he is severing the Philippines relationship with the USA.  Well, I can't exactly blame them on that count, but they are in for a rude surprise if they think getting in bed with China and Russia represents a new expression of sovereignty.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly