Author Topic: This is too cool - history discovered during excavation of site for museum  (Read 1354 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
The Museum of the American Revolution...and artifacts dating back to that period are discovered at the site...

Neat!

http://amrevmuseum.tumblr.com/
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Below that was a mound of night soil (human waste) that had practically nothing in it except a few beautiful, handwrought nails also from the 18th century.

The feature, a privy, was found on property that once belonged to William Hudson, a tanner and former mayor of Philadelphia, whose “mansion” faced Third Street and also opened onto Chestnut Street. We can’t be sure the artifacts belonged to the Hudson family, though, since the property was subdivided into several lots along Third Street in the 1790s.

You have to REALLY love your job to dig through 200 yr old crap for just nails.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Yeah, don't recall encountering the term "night soil" before...gotta remember that one...

"Hey, you remember when President Night Soil came along and wiped his bum on the Constitution?"

Yeah, I'll remember that phrase now.

History, it's always teaching...all you gotta do is pay attention!   ::thumbsup::

I'd love to find a site like this...break out metal detectors and such...find everything there is...

I took a wrong turn in life somewhere...how come I chose to earn a living in such a common field?

::bashing::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
President Night Soil

LOL