Author Topic: DoD MHS RFP's...Bids coming In  (Read 897 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
DoD MHS RFP's...Bids coming In
« on: June 09, 2016, 12:42:28 PM »
In April, US Army Chief of Staff General Mark Milley suggested procuring 9x19 mm Glock 19 handguns to replace legacy Beretta M9 handguns instead of a more complicated modified solution in line with the MHS original solicitation. The total programme could comprise a requirement for up to 500,000 weapon systems destined to equip army, navy, and air force personnel as well as the US Special Operations Command (USSOCOM).

Speaking to IHS Jane's at the Special Operations Forces Industry Conference (SOFIC) in Tampa, Florida, industry sources explained how the DoD had received a total of 12 bids in February in response to the XM17 MHS Request for Proposals (RfP) published in September 2015.

Entrants are understood to include Beretta's APX, Ceská zbrojovka's CZ P-09, FN Herstal's Five-Seven Mk 2, General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems (GDOTS) and Smith & Wesson's M&P polymer handgun; the Glock 17 and 22; and Sig Sauer's P320. However, sources informed IHS Jane's that the DoD had yet to make a final decision regarding calibre of the MHS, although 9x19 mm and .40 calibre appear to be favourites at the moment.

http://www.janes.com/article/60814/us-army-moves-ahead-with-handgun-replacement-programme

Can't beat Glock reliability and durability...but politics and personal bias will have its say...

I'd rank it Glock, Sig and then Beretta or S&W...nothing against the others, I just think there are fairly clear tiers of quality...

I'd be surprised if a couple others don't enter...Ruger has some nice polymer offerings as does H&K...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.