Author Topic: Trump Bombs Syria - give it 48 hours  (Read 2346 times)

Offline hemm

• Newb
Trump Bombs Syria - give it 48 hours
« on: April 14, 2018, 06:52:14 AM »
My thoughts are torn on this bombing.  Having been in that region of the world many times in uniform and seeing what I've seen makes me wonder.  Obviously assad needs to be pushing desert imho.  The nerves part is that we might end up putting (more?) troops on the ground there and for WHAT!?!?!  I'm fine using cruise missile's etc. But don't put a boot on the ground if the ROE is going to cause a single fighter to come home in a body bag.
Not as new as I look, and I have an even worse attitude than I did when I first got here.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Trump Bombs Syria - give it 48 hours
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 08:08:43 AM »
I'm torn as well, hemm.  I don't really know if Assad should be pushing desert or not, despite him being a dictator; Syria is a sovereign country, he's their problem.  It's civil war; not our problem.

On the other hand, ISIS.

I've read the US foreign policy is supporting the "rebels", ISIS.  If that's true, wtf are we doing supporting the terrorists there, and then fighting them elsewhere.

But, then again, Syria is a client state of Iran and Russia (as I understand it; I could be wrong), and that's not good.

If I had a firmer grasp of the facts, I'd be better able to judge.

You're right, though, about NO boots on the ground.

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 08:46:47 AM »
I'm torn as well, hemm.  I don't really know if Assad should be pushing desert or not, despite him being a dictator; Syria is a sovereign country, he's their problem.  It's civil war; not our problem.

On the other hand, ISIS.

I've read the US foreign policy is supporting the "rebels", ISIS.  If that's true, wtf are we doing supporting the terrorists there, and then fighting them elsewhere.

But, then again, Syria is a client state of Iran and Russia (as I understand it; I could be wrong), and that's not good.

If I had a firmer grasp of the facts, I'd be better able to judge.

You're right, though, about NO boots on the ground.

You're both right no boots on the ground!! Don't forget Hezbolla works out of Syria.  As far as I care use the bombers and any other long range system to level the place.   Their leader need to know that he personally is a target and not for capture.

I expect that he's not sleeping in one place for more than a night.  Russia was interesting in that they did nothing last night which has to tell Assad that Russia is a show pony and not going to war for him.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 10:13:49 AM »
Assad gasses his people; we bomb Assad; ISIS benefits; Russia sides with Syria and Iran supporting Hezbollah; Israel has existential enemies among them all, except the US - unless Leftists win elections, then the US is Israel’s enemy as well...

We live in a fallen, f**ked world. It seems sometimes that the only constant is  governments interfacing with evil both for and against their interests as a primary function of said government.

Come, Lord Jesus.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 01:13:46 PM »
Assad is a POS, but no boots on the ground, period.  That asshole isn't worth one life.  Russia shouldn't be there but they are in a box...they cannot charge Europe up the ass for oil & gas without the pipelines, and that is the ONLY reason they are there...protecting the Almighty Petro-Ruble. 

Trump saved face, lobbed some missiles, fine, call it a day and pullback...see what all the asshats there do...it is a situation that should be contained, not entangled.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 07:30:43 AM »
Trump saved face, lobbed some missiles, fine, call it a day and pullback...see what all the asshats there do...

Saving face. I'm beginning to think this whole think is theater. It appears the Russkies had prior notification and their only response to the attack is pull their people out.

The only real result of this I see is it gets the NorK's attention. Short and round will surely take notice.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 10:53:28 AM »
Trump saved face, lobbed some missiles, fine, call it a day and pullback...see what all the asshats there do...

Saving face. I'm beginning to think this whole think is theater. It appears the Russkies had prior notification and their only response to the attack is pull their people out.

The only real result of this I see is it gets the NorK's attention. Short and round will surely take notice.

Yup, nobody is going to change the situation on the ground there much, not unless they want to get their hands really messy, it's about containment, letting everybody know you're keeping an eye on whoever, looking like you are doing something, testing toys, etc.  Even the Russians aren't dumb enough to put many of their boots on the ground, they hire mercs for that sh*t detail and their only aim is to keep the pipelines open.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.