Author Topic: The politics of the second amendment, commentary by richb  (Read 2945 times)

Offline richb

• Established Member
The politics of the second amendment, commentary by richb
« on: June 16, 2016, 05:21:11 PM »
In the wake of the Orland shootings,  the subject of gun control is once again in the headlines.   While it seemed the second amendment was making somewhat of a comeback the last couple of years with some decent court rulings and some  various state laws opening up controls.  That in spite of the Obama regimes many attempts to steal this right away from us at the federal level.   It seemed more people were waking up to the stupidity of "gun" free zones and other insanity that is gun "control". 

I think the tide is unfortunately turning against the second amendment again.

With a new supreme court judge coming into office,  most likely picked by a Democrat (a Trump pick likely won't be any better), it faces a new threat.   That will ensure with no other possible outcome then an rabidly anti-2nd amendment will take a seat on the highest court.   That means many lower court rulings, like the the one from the 9th court taking away carry will likely stand.     It won't matter what the public even thinks at that point,  gun control will be with us for the next couple of decades.

But it seems that the public is more receptive to gun control after Orlando,  then even the California attack.   Even though both were committed by homegrown Muslim terrorists the mood has changed.   It seems the Obama regime has done a better job shifting the blame from Islam to guns this time about. 

I think the progress that was made for gun rights in the last decade is largely over for the time being and some of the gains will be lost again soon.

What do you guys and girls think?

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Re: The politics of the second amendment, commentary by richb
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 05:44:48 PM »

We're screwed. That's what I think.

While unable to actually stop any firearm transactions, I see them doing their damnedest to disrupt ammo supplies one way or another. Either with taxation or supply side (as in lead) control.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 05:52:40 PM »
It won't matter what the public even thinks at that point,  gun control  they will be afraid to actually enforce , will be with us for the next couple of decades.

Seriously, who at this point thinks the nation  will comply with unconstitutional laws? The first serious attempt to take guns in mass will result in a lot of dead people and the start of the civil war.  They can play at the fringes. They can try to keep you from buying a gun because you are on some list they made up,  but we all know that  it will just make the black market bigger and evading the law more common, not less.  So yea, have fun with that. I'll be there wen the shooting starts.

And no, public opinion hasn't changed on the subject. The MSM is just getting bolder in the lies it reports as Polls. You will see a stupidly high NICE number for this month for sure - as the Gays go out and buy guns. Granted, its only 2%  of the population,  but its became very obvious this week that gays will be handed over to the Muslims for slaughter willingly, and both they and their supporters have taken note.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 05:55:41 PM by Weisshaupt »

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 05:55:16 PM »

In no particular order...

This bears no resemblance to the America I grew up in.
The dreams I made, the plans I laid didn't turn out quite like I expected.
I'm old, tired, and cranky and sick of this crap.
I have my guns. I may buy more. I will not surrender them - except one chunk of lead at a time.
I am not afraid to "go out in a hail of gunfire", but I am afraid of leaving this earth without expending all of my ammo.
Fck Ødungo

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 06:46:22 PM »
I voted with my feet.  I pick the culture/s I most want to associate with and live among.  Obama/Hillary's America isn't that culture.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 08:45:02 PM »
  I refuse to see myself as screwed by these assholes. One way or the other I will survive the cockroaches.  I will have guns and ammo come hell or high water.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 09:18:36 PM »

I think the old adage still holds true:

"When they come for your guns, give 'em your ammunition first:"

And, if you survive the first round, collect theirs along with their ammo...& prep for round 2. You'll eventually lose...but secure a bigger room in the Mansion as your eternal reward!
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 07:05:52 AM »

In no particular order...

This bears no resemblance to the America I grew up in.
The dreams I made, the plans I laid didn't turn out quite like I expected.
I'm old, tired, and cranky and sick of this crap.
I have my guns. I may buy more. I will not surrender them - except one chunk of lead at a time.
I am not afraid to "go out in a hail of gunfire", but I am afraid of leaving this earth without expending all of my ammo.
Fck Ødungo

Whoa, so cool!  I read this and heard my own voice echoing in my head!   ::thumbsup::

Molan Labe!

Another for the "These idiots know not what they'll get!" files...

Go ahead, make my day!

Oh, and this is quite good -

Former Navy SEAL: The AR-15 Is A Citizen’s Best Defense Against Terrorism
"Why would you want to ban the gun you pray for police to show up with?"

In the wake of the Orlando terrorist attack, the deadliest strike on U.S. soil since 9/11, Democratic lawmakers and progressive activists have responded by attempting to limit access to firearms — particularly the AR-15, which was incorrectly reported as the weapon the terrorist used to kill at least 49 people and injure another 53.

In a new video, former Navy SEAL Dom Raso explains why the AR-15, the most popular rifle in the country, gives Americans the best chance of surviving in an age of terror.

“The only way for us to stay free was by having whatever guns the bad guys have,” he said. “This firearm gives average people the advantage they so desperately need and deserve to protect their life, liberty, and happiness.”

Choosing to defend one’s home with an AR-15 is a commonsense choice, as it is powerful, accurate, and easy to shoot, Raso said.

Gun control legislation doesn’t stop terror attacks, heexplained, citing the two terrorists who who weren’t deterred by California’s assault weapons ban when they killed 14 people in San Bernardino last year. Nor would any gun ban have stopped the Boston Bombers when they detonated a bomb at the Boston Marathon, killing three and wounding at least 260 others.

Ironically, both of those incidents of terror were brought to a stop by armed police officers responding to the scene with AR-15s–the same weapon legislators are trying to ban.

“Why would you want to ban the gun you pray for police to show up with?” Raso asked.

Raso said Hillary Clinton’s desire to ban rifles like the AR-15 is hypocritical since she herself relies on guards armed with them for her protection.

“I fought this enemy face-to-face for 12 years,” he said. “I know how they think, and I know the hatred that burns inside them.”

“Thank God we have the Second Amendment.”

http://thefederalist.com/2016/06/16/former-navy-seal-the-ar-15-is-a-citizens-best-defense-against-terrorism/

And we'll have our rights no matter who tries to take them away from us!   ;)

« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 08:59:57 AM by Libertas »
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 11:00:40 AM »
I voted with my feet.  I pick the culture/s I most want to associate with and live among.  Obama/Hillary's America isn't that culture.

I traveled enough to know there are many pleasant places and pleasant people. I also traveled enough to know tat 98%  of the world is racist, accepts corruption as the "right way to do it" , and abhors the very idea of personal freedom, and that tribalism is still the determining factor in almost every culture.
And then there is the subservient attitude toward government, disdain for fire arm ownership, and  a pervasive and simply crappy work ethic.

Yes, I know many expats who are perfectly happy and enjoy that "laid back" style of culture - especially in retirement. . Its not for me. And I don't want to raise my kids in the third world ( I know its coming to me)

The only people part of the culture I want to live with are the remnant of actual Americans left here. I don't see any other place in the world that values what I value.  Yes, you can find a nice place if you are willing to accept the trade-offs but none of them are what America was. Sure you might find a pocket of expats with my values somewhere, but they are an island in a sea of foreign values, and I think will be either forced to conform, or be washed out to sea when the Dollar collapses. Most natives only tolerate the expats for the money, so if you can't pass for Native ( or have been there long enough others see you as native)  its not going to be a fun ride as Millions flee the US for the same shores. The will be the same turds that fled California and other Blue failures. They will be the worst sort of "ugly American" and without the money - public opinion in foreign lands  will turn- and quickly. After all they don't believe that racism is wrong.

I hope your play works out for you Hawk, but I will just stay and fight. 

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 11:38:20 AM »
I'll bet MNHawk can blend...

Unless you're a sun-loathing albino and have no ability to learn language and customs, really anybody should be able to pull it off...

I could if I wanted to...but I also have a stubborn streak a mile wide and just as deep...

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2016, 01:32:56 PM »
I'll bet MNHawk can blend...

Unless you're a sun-loathing albino and have no ability to learn language and customs, really anybody should be able to pull it off...

I could if I wanted to...but I also have a stubborn streak a mile wide and just as deep...

You can learn the language and customs all you want. The natives will still know --  accents are hard to hide, and your tan can only take you so far. Facial shapes will give you away if the skin doesn't.  As  the money runs dry and they have to deal with more Ugly Americans,  their attitudes will sour. And bottom line, the customs aren't American customs, and the Values aren't American values. If you are well established in a small community familiarity may protect you. But step outside of that circle and watch out.

One can argue American values and culture are dead in America as well, and that I may as well choose form the remaining available options,  but  perhaps I would just rather die along with my country and traditions.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2016, 04:10:27 PM »
That's just it.  American values are dead.  What's left is a rather ugly option.  Spreading inner city values to the suburbs and rural areas is an option uglier than most I can think of.  Obamacare?  Sorry, I don't want to keep working just to pay the bill for that.  Am I different, yep.  Am I OK with that?  Yep.

I hope for a two state solution.  That would be worth coming home to.  But not Hillary's America. 

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2016, 06:43:43 PM »
We should be doing what the Chinese are doing and start making islands of our own.  Or maybe see if Russia wants some immigrants to help populate and develop the Siberian interior.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2016, 07:57:57 AM »
I'd like to drop Obama's Wet-Dreamers and Rapefugees from 30,000 feet and build reefs with their bones.

Beat that, China!

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2016, 11:41:31 AM »
Heh, bless those folks at the Cube!

But we all know these liars will never practice the BS they preach!

Besides, they obey no law...why should anybody else, eh?  Especially anything promulgated by these stinking Dem's or rotten Pubbies!