Author Topic: High Speed Rails  (Read 1415 times)

Offline MacWell™

• Likes the place
High Speed Rails
« on: May 11, 2011, 07:07:57 AM »
This purely political talking point should be put to sleep once and for all.

America made this decision in the 50's, well actually, even earlier than that. America fell in love with our automobiles, the intimate friends that we share travel time with. How many of us have talked to our cars while driving? While I understand that not all people form a relationship with our transportation, many of us do. Drive around most any neighborhood in America and you will see the evidence of a long enjoyed form of relaxation, tinkering with that pile of metal we fell in love with. An old Camero, a Corvette, maybe a vintage Mopar, or that one model that the automakers got right. In my younger years, before you needed a degree from M.I.T. to be a mechanic, I put together a few myself. It was great fun. It was also a direct result of my uncle being a mechanic and me being right under his nose when he fixed the family's cars, (we did that sort of thing back then). The point is, we the people don't really want no stinkin high speed rail! What we want, is the means to continue our love affair with our cars. Give us gas at an affordable price and stop politicizing America's energy needs. When we can run our cars on nuclear power, or Unicorn farts for that matter, then we can stop using fossil fuel. Until that time, get out of the way and allow Americans to do what we do best, innovate. Look, we get it, we don't want to pollute the earth, or the ocean. I believe we've learned a lot of good things from the environmentalists, (or conservationists as we used to call ourselves). We know what's bad to do now and for the most part, we're not doing them anymore. High speed rails may be the answer for Europe, but America has forged a standard of living that makes the auto affordable to every citizen, and to me, that's not a bad thing.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: High Speed Rails
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 07:12:32 AM »
They can take their "rail" and run that track where the sun don't shine. 

I'm not packing myself into their cattle cars, I'm not subsidizing their utopian idea of "travel", and I'm sick and tired of the attempts to coerce me out of my TRUCK.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 07:14:56 AM »
High Speed Rail is a fast track to nowhere !  ::cussing::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 07:31:35 AM »
Only smug fart-sniffing morons and those who love throwing OPM down a rat hole like light rail...which is why Minnesota has one.

::facepalm::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 11:37:28 PM »
The bottom line is the bottom line. There is no mode of transportation as efficient, inexpensive, abundant, empowering, or liberating as those modes powered by fossil fuels.  And we ask ourselves why Leftists hate fossil fuels.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 12:09:29 AM »
If passenger rail systems were in demand then private industry would supply them. As it is we have Amtrack. And the only reason it's still around is because self important puffed up morons like Joe Biden kept (keep) voting to fund it so that they can travel back and forth from DC to their stupid ass districts.

When will you know that the government is really and truly serious about spending reform? When crap (and I mean that in the strictest sense) like Amtrack and the USPS, which never turn a profit but instead lose money like sh*t through a goose, get their funding reduced or eliminated.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 06:36:19 AM »
The bottom line is the bottom line. There is no mode of transportation as efficient, inexpensive, abundant, empowering, or liberating as those modes powered by fossil fuels.  And we ask ourselves why Leftists hate fossil fuels.

An immobile population is much easier to control than a mobile one. Power and money, money and power...it's all they crave...like a junkie craves the next fix...they need more power and money.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 06:45:54 AM »
The bottom line is the bottom line. There is no mode of transportation as efficient, inexpensive, abundant, empowering, or liberating as those modes powered by fossil fuels.  And we ask ourselves why Leftists hate fossil fuels.

An immobile population is much easier to control than a mobile one. Power and money, money and power...it's all they crave...like a junkie craves the next fix...they need more power and money.
With that in mind, it's just another step in the government's program to make everyone feel the same, downtrodden depending on the government for transportation. Now we can all ride the bus and feel equally constrained. ::gaah::
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 06:49:31 AM by warpmine »
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 12:38:10 PM »
If passenger rail systems were in demand then private industry would supply them. As it is we have Amtrack. And the only reason it's still around is because self important puffed up morons like Joe Biden kept (keep) voting to fund it so that they can travel back and forth from DC to their stupid ass districts.

Liberals have a natural affinity for Amtrak because it encapsulates their own mentality. Where does Amtrak run? It's almost entirely in the northeastern US, the DC-NYC corridor in particular. Yet, the entire country has to pay for it. That coincides with the liberal view of America, that only the Northeast counts and the rest of the country are provincial rubes who can be taxed to pay for liberal pet projects. Those people in the rest of the country are obviously morons, because if they weren't they would live in New Yawk!
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 02:14:51 PM »

They want us all on the same clock living our lives according to what time the train comes and goes. I didn't buy cars to ride a bus or a train. Take that train and stuff it.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 02:41:21 PM »
They want us all on the same clock living our lives according to what time the train comes and goes.

And in such a regimented society, you inevitably get a Mussolini in order to make all the figurative trains run on time.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline radioman

• A Regular
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 02:55:57 PM »
Newt said to put the high speed down between san diego and brownsville.

That way, they would have to put agents on the line for train security, and they could pick up strays as they try to cross the track.
TGIF - "Thank God I'm Forgiven"