Author Topic: AR Tool  (Read 887 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
AR Tool
« on: June 30, 2016, 07:33:27 AM »
I guess I never encountered the issue before, but thinking SHTF might not be bad to grab one or two, eh?

http://weaponsman.com/?p=32947

H/T - WRSA
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: AR Tool
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 08:10:32 AM »
Thanks; passed onto Gunsmith.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 10:35:20 PM »
Or you could just get an AK   ::evil::   ::stirpot::
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 10:44:54 PM by Glock32 »
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 09:15:16 AM »
Ahh yes, the dark lord of the peoples scary black rifle arises!   ;)

Somehow I knew you would come.   ;D

But, there is often truth in sarcasm if properly constructed...and you are not wrong.  AK's are a more simple and robust design, especially with modern machining of today versus half a century ago.

I'll have to get/build one one day.  There's just so much on my list...and an unsettled BOL lurking in the shadows as well.

And I don't think there is as much time left as any of us think we have...

::gaah::

ETA  - Not sure what way to go would be less expensive on an AK either...buying means going through FFL and no Rooskie models available, some Bulgarian models but even they can get pricey...Century Arms has some affordable models...and not sure if I need any equipment for kit builds...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 09:41:40 AM by Libertas »

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 11:04:38 AM »
If you want to get into the AK game, I would get a foreign-built rifle while you still can.  The window is closing on those.  The Romanian WASR used to be somewhat of a joke, a bottom of the barrel import, but from what I've read the ones made in the past few years have upped their quality considerably.  These are some of the last imports still available that come from an original Warsaw Pact factory.  I'd look into a WASR personally, as long as it's a model from the past 2-3 years, and you are able to personally inspect it for common issues like canted front sights.

The US-made AKs (mainly I refer to the Century ones) still struggle with incorrect metallurgy and assembly, though I have no doubt we will soon see 100% US AKs that are just as good as the originals.  DDI is a quality manufacturer with excellent customer service, and I think they are going to establish themselves as the first legit American AK maker.  I bought one of their underfolders built from Hungarian parts on a US-made receiver and barrel and it has quickly become one of my favorite rifles.

I have the AR sickness too.  What sucks is I hardly ever get to shoot these things.

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 12:27:18 PM »
So the Bulgarian ones are OK?

I hear ya on shootin', may get to the show before any warm up.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 01:11:58 PM »
The Bulgarian ones from Arsenal are considered the cream of the crop.  I don't have a milled receiver variant in my collection, and I think that's next on my list.  It will probably be a Bulgarian from Arsenal.  It just rankles me that they're $1000 rifles now.  I sort of have trouble dropping that much on the rifle of the proletariat, considering some of the other options in that price range.  That's the reality of things now though.  W. and Obama hurt the AK market, W. by banning barrel imports, and Obama with the sanctions against Russian companies.

- Yours Truly