Author Topic: Obama Is the Anti-Reagan  (Read 8219 times)

pablodefleurs

Obama Is the Anti-Reagan
« on: February 22, 2011, 06:51:51 PM »
Great article in the parry/thrust of this media war:

Obama Is the Anti-Reagan
By Ralph Peters
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2011/02/22/obama_and_reagan_are_opposites_108981.html

In one of the most bizarre political gambits in our history, President Obama and his dwindling band of cheerleaders--nervously eyeing the big game in 2012--have been trying to cast an over-inflated community organizer as the reincarnation of the Gipper.

It ain't working.

No matter how often Obama drops President Reagan's name or how shamelessly his flaks attempt to link this shrinking, spineless president to the bold, visionary giant who turned a broken nation around, nobody's buying this preposterous propaganda.

Comparing Barack Obama to Ronald Reagan is like comparing Bernie Madoff to Warren Buffett: Hustling your clients isn't heroism, and fraud's not a formula for enduring success.

At a press conference last Tuesday, Obama couldn't restrain himself from invoking Reagan's name yet again, associating him with Tip O'Neill (another disgraceful linkage). But you only had to listen to that presser or read the transcript to grasp the immense distance between Obama/Hamlet, forever wringing his hands and wondering, "To be, or not to be?" and Reagan/Henry V embracing a battle the Washington court heralds insisted he could not win.

• Asked about the tumult in the Middle East, Obama responded with gutless generalities.
  • Asked about the freedom demonstrations in Iran, he offered cautious, lawyerly support in terms that seemed chosen to avoid a law-suit.
  • Asked about Saudi Arabia, he stone-walled completely.
  • Asked about the potential threat to oil supplies, he ducked that question, too.
  • And when, late in the news conference, he finally uttered that terrible word "democracy," he spoke it as if handling a poisonous snake.

Compare that to Reagan's magnificent call: "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"

Obama couldn't even tear down Guantanamo, despite his blustering promises to do so. His response to the Cold War would have been unilateral disarmament.

Reagan took on destructive unions, international Marxists, secret police, murderous regimes and the consistently hostile watercress-sandwich salon culture of an in-bred domestic elite ("He's simply not our kind, darling...").

Obama took on Fox News. And lost.

Obama isn't another Ronald Reagan. He's Jimmy Carter Lite, a deer in the headlights of history, overwhelmed by international crises he doesn't understand and that don't make any sense in the politically correct world-view he brought to the Oval Office. This is a president who can't even stand up to Pakistan, let alone lead the free world through the present Valley of the Shadow.

In that same embarrassing press conference, Obama offered budget cuts that amounted to eliminating one latte per hedge-fund manager per year to reduce our national debt. He lacked the courage to take on a single entitlement program, to offer a single bold proposal, or to simply tell the truth about our cancerous financial situation. And he still blames George W. Bush for everything from excessive spending to the Black Death.

Reagan inherited a nation morally and financially gutted during the Carter years and turned it back into not just a shining city on a hill, but a gleaming country atop the summit of history. He rebuilt our economy, our military and our morale.

Obama is crippling our economy, misusing our military, and telling us we're bad people who appreciate neither the glories of Islam, the virtues of squandering trillions, or the boo-hoo-hoo, oh-so-awful difficulties of being president ("Mommy...it's too hard!").

Nonetheless, get ready for Obama on horseback, wearing a ten-gallon hat and popping jelly beans.

It's "Mourning In America."

Ralph Peters is a retired Army officer, and the author of 26 books. His latest novel, just-released, is “The Officers’ Club,” an explicit depiction of the post-Vietnam Army.

Granger

Re: Obama Is the Anti-Reagan
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 08:27:06 AM »
I have a slightly different take on Reagan.  Just so you know where I'm coming from, I consider myself a true conservative in the sense that deficit spending is something that should never be done except in the case of a serious national emergency (such as WW2.)

What Reagan did was to shift the US economy from self-sustaining to borrowed-income-based. For forty years before Reagan, the national debt was pretty much steady (adjusted for inflation) and was coming down (as a percentage of GDP.) This trend continued through the Korean war, the Vietnam war and even throughout the much-maligned Carter Administration. As soon as Reagan got his first budget passed along with tax cuts, the national debt took off like a rocket and went up ever since, except for a few years during the Clinton administration (which I credit for the PC boom, not for anything any US politician, including Clinton, did.)

Here are the facts. First, check this graph (the third one on this page, it's in blueish-purple color:
http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/faq.html

Here you can see the devastating effect Reaganomics had on the economy: the entire inflation-adjusted national debt (not just the deficit, the entire national debt) more than doubled in eight years.  That's economic catastrophe.

Here is a color-coded version of the graph:
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f331/qwertyuiopass/debtgraph.jpg
This really lets you see how the Reagan neocons were actually far more liberal with borrowing and spending than any democrat of this era.

Now, let's take a look at the graph showing national debt as a percentage of GDP:
http://zfacts.com/p/1195.html
It shows a similar disaster under Roosevelt, but that occurred during WW2, which accounts for a huge percentage of that extra spending. Reagan had no excuse, we were not at war and the USSR was already on the path to bankruptcy, hemorrhaging cash at a fatal rate in Afghanistan. The cold was was mostly an excuse to give out pork-barrel defense contracts.  (Incidentally, liberals of course credit Clinton for reigning in spending where you see the debt reduction in the latter 1990s, but in reality this was because American industries were at the forefront of the PC boom and tax revenues were pouring in faster than the government could increase spending.  Dubya came in and fixed that by hiking up spending right about the time the computer industries were inevitably outsourced.)

When you confront Reagan fanatics with these facts, they always try to blame "liberal congress" for the spending increases, but the real data shows that congress actually reduced spending slightly from what Reagan called for:
http://zfacts.com/p/57.html

Before Reagan, the US economy was based on production of goods and services. After Reagan, it was based on the government borrowing and spending hundreds of billions and then trillions of dollars. This is how Reagan "saved" the US economy. He's lauded as a hero only by people who don't check facts and those who want to see America bankrupt. Reagan single-handedly set the country on a downward slide to economic catastrophe.

Say what you will about Obama, but when it comes to running up the debt, he's got nothing on Reagan.  He's not even close.  Reagan was far more liberal with deficit spending than any president since WW2.  Neocons are duped into thinking Reagan was conservative, when he was an extreme liberal in that sense.

Reagan was a fraud who destroyed America by telling everyone they could and should have what they want and then by giving it to them (after borrowing it first.)   Low taxes for the rich, high wages and jobs galore from the poor.  Compared to Reagan, Carter and Obama are freaking conservatives.

If Reagan was alive today, he should be shot for treason.

Offline radioman

• A Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 08:45:06 AM »
Now remember before you smack granger, he stated that he is a fiscal conservative.  ::evil::
TGIF - "Thank God I'm Forgiven"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 09:13:12 AM »

Good Easter radioman.

& for you New Yorkers: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/dailypolitics/2011/04/obama-to-tape-oprah-before-nyc-fundraising?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nydnrss%2Fblogs%2Fdailypolitics+%28Blogs%2FThe+Daily+Politics%29

Obama To Tape "Oprah" Before NYC Fundraising

Just a quick reminder so you won't wonder what's jacking up the traffic in NYC next Wednesday:

"On Wednesday, the President and the First Lady will travel to Chicago to tape an episode of the 'Oprah Winfrey Show.'  The President will then travel to New York to deliver remarks at two DNC events."

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 10:15:44 AM »
Weren't we just talking about "conservative, buts" yesterday?
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 10:24:43 AM »
Weren't we just talking about "conservative, buts" yesterday?

Yep.  And we'll see what else evolves from I'm-a-conservative-but .....
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 10:52:10 AM »

RickZ

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 11:00:22 AM »
FLOTUS, a/k/a Feedbag, is BAD.  A Broad Assed Dame.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 11:03:26 AM »

and an honest butt

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 11:05:14 AM »
Moochelle's bitterness explained:

On the left: Letizia Ortiz, Princess of Asturias (Spain)
In the center: Carla Bruni, wife of French President Sarkozy
On the right: Mammy from every Tom & Jerry cartoon
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 11:15:21 AM »
...If Reagan was alive today, he should be shot for treason.

I had to read right to the last line for the excuse I was looking for.

::overkill::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 01:56:56 PM »
...If Reagan was alive today, he should be shot for treason.

I had to read right to the last line for the excuse I was looking for.

::overkill::

Thank you.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 08:08:08 AM »

I'll bet when Michelle sits that a** down in the bathtub the water level in the toilet rises !

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 08:20:37 AM »

I'll bet when Michelle sits that a** down in the bathtub the water level in the toilet rises !

::laughonfloor::   ::rolllaughing::   ::hysterical::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 10:37:16 AM »
Word for word.  Our copy/paste warrior was busy, across the interwebs

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=68384&start=80

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2011, 12:40:27 PM »
Good catch!
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 02:30:15 PM »

Now that's just wrong..............Must.........have............................brain...............Ble...a..ch ::puke::
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow