Author Topic: Good News! Teotwawki Not coming!  (Read 1516 times)

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Good News! Teotwawki Not coming!
« on: July 28, 2016, 08:36:09 AM »
http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2016/07/26/weimar-america-trump-nazi-hitler-hitlary-ceveland-philadelphia-column/86506638/

Raising the specter of a Weimar America has more than a whiff of elitism. It implicitly suggests we are on the verge of mob rule, that the unwashed masses will choose in their lack of wisdom a leader who reflects their irrational prejudices. They then will support the overthrow of the Constitution by some unstated means. At its base is an essential contempt for the people, their concerns, their judgment. It is a fear of too much democracy.
But for the analogy to make sense the United States would have to be as politically fragile as Weimar. The contrasts are important. The Weimar period lasted fourteen years, where the United States has existed over two centuries. Major political parties in Germany denounced the Weimar constitution as illegitimate from its creation in 1919, while the U.S. Constitution is considered fundamental and legitimate by the vast majority of Americans. Germany had no strong democratic tradition; American democracy stretches back to the Colonial period. The Weimar economy was hamstrung by war reparations, hyperinflation, massive unemployment, and the Great Depression. Granted the U.S. is currently going through some economic bad times, but they aren’t Weimar-bad.

Those fearing an American echo of the collapse of Weimar show little faith in the collective wisdom of their countrymen. And they exhibit no confidence at all in the strength of our Constitution and the American political culture. For all its many problems, the United States is not on the brink of collapse. We are electing a president, not a dictator.

SO yeah, traditions and values  half of the country doesn't believe in any more, and in fact despise as evil,  will save us.  He doesn't even talk about the economics.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Good News! Teotwawki Not coming!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 08:53:46 AM »
A bunch of "conservatives" are bemoaning -- instead of celebrating -- the fact that the Communist Bernie Sanders was screwed over by his own Party, so it looks to me TEOTWAWKI is rolling along as expected.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 10:35:01 AM »
There also seems to be a lot of "No, gun nuts, there is not going to be another revolution -- and even if there was, you wouldn't last 5 minutes" articles popping up.  More than a few of these are coming from "our side" and pitched with a "look, it's time for a reality check you guys" approach.

Some of this is orchestrated FUD, of that I am certain.  Then you have the people in any group or movement who just really enjoy being the wet blanket, the Negative Nancies who enjoy pouring cold water on the flame of enthusiasm.  There's currently a thread of this sort going at the AK Files, with a couple of people opining that the State is simply far too omnipotent to ever challenge.  I wonder what motivates such people to even participate in forums like that?  If you've already accepted the Borg argument, "resistance is futile," then why not just devote yourself to self-indulgence?

Some people don't grok that losing in an uphill struggle is not the worst possible outcome.  "Later, how we burned in the camps..."
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 10:59:25 AM by Glock32 »
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 10:54:33 AM »
I actually liked that column Weisshaupt and (like you mentioned) only dissgreed with the notion:

the U.S. Constitution is considered fundamental and legitimate by the vast majority of Americans.

The left despises the Constitution and only refers to it when they can use it to bash conservatives. The right reveres the Constitution and sees it as the only reason why the left remains above ground.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 11:40:33 AM »
I actually liked that column Weisshaupt and (like you mentioned) only dissgreed with the notion:

the U.S. Constitution is considered fundamental and legitimate by the vast majority of Americans.

The left despises the Constitution and only refers to it when they can use it to bash conservatives. The right reveres the Constitution and sees it as the only reason why the left remains above ground.

I agree with Weisshaupt that this guy fully misses the economic reality and how in that context a Weimer comparison works...as does a Zimbabwe comparison...real economics goes to the root of daily human transactions over the acquisition of goods and services for in-kind goods and services or tokens of legitimate value such as money (of which precious metals and gemstones are the most real vessels of tangible value)...ignoring how value has been destroyed and perverted, how elites have enslaved people and made them debt zombies, ignoring all of this does nobody any good.  The author is obviously one of those self-deluded it-can-never-happen-here-because-I-said-so types.

Whatever, when looters and pillagers and rapists and murderers are running down his street...well maybe he'll say he was f**ked in the head on that one...or not...whatever, it's his problem.

But I agree and disagree with 'Soup...

Lefties do hate the Constitution, they spend most of their time and our money in trying to gut it and render it down to a charter of despotism giving the government the authority to f**k over any individual or group of individuals they hate for whatever reason.  As such they are enemies of the Constitution, enemies of the Declaration that made it possible and enemies of the Liberty that gave it all meaning by fighting, bleeding and dying for our right to claim as ours what God bestowed upon us.  As such they should be labelled what they are - textbook domestic enemies of Freedom!  They should be dealt with accordingly!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.