Author Topic: Gonna Need $250  (Read 3428 times)

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Gonna Need $250
« on: July 28, 2016, 03:09:41 PM »

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Gonna Need $250
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 06:07:26 PM »
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 07:10:56 PM »
http://tamashii.jp/special/voltron/

50 years from now...it you leave them in the box......

Yeah, I know. But I didn't do it with the Yamato and I am not going to do it with this one ( I will, however, keep the box)  My  Son and I are already in a disagreement as to if it should be displayed as individual Lions or as an assembled figure.

Though even out of the box, the Yamato is worth about $100 more than I bought it for now..not that it matters to me.  I like looking at it - just as I like looking at my TARDIS.  A way to escape to the modern nightmare into  childhood I suppose, but its one of the few things that make me happy besides the wife and kids, so there you are.   I just appreciate a well crafted model - especially one I would have died to have as  a kid. Of course now I have to wait 6 months ( or more) for it to actually be produced and released.  Delayed gratification...

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 07:54:39 PM »
Aw heck.....buy two....When I think of all the "collectables" I've gotten rid of in my lifetime. My wife is a pack rat and she still has all my sons Ghostbuster toys. I have no idea if they are worth anything, but they are getting old.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 10:44:54 AM »
Don't know much about Voltron, but he looks an awful lot like a Power Rangers Megazord, and I know all about them.

My boys grew up right in the middle of the Power Rangers craze, and they had all the Megazord toys, and they were so cool, I used to enjoy playing with them. (Alongside the boys, of course, not by myself, honest).

They are quite ingenious toys, and if Voltron is the same or similar, I understand the attraction. The Zords were about 20" tall when fully assembled, but you could break them down into 5 separate toys, and all of those could be manipulated into different forms, like weapons, vehicles, etc.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 11:26:48 AM »
Don't know much about Voltron, but he looks an awful lot like a Power Rangers Megazord, and I know all about them.

My boys grew up right in the middle of the Power Rangers craze, and they had all the Megazord toys, and they were so cool, I used to enjoy playing with them. (Alongside the boys, of course, not by myself, honest).

They are quite ingenious toys, and if Voltron is the same or similar, I understand the attraction. The Zords were about 20" tall when fully assembled, but you could break them down into 5 separate toys, and all of those could be manipulated into different forms, like weapons, vehicles, etc.

Yeah,  Voltron is basically the original Megazord. The original television series aired in syndication from September 10, 1984 to November 18, 1985.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2013/07/25/the-mysterious-origins-of-voltron

Yep, thats how I remember it.  Power rangers was 1993 and later, and my son was into it-- and then I sowed him Voltron.
When  I got the email add from Crunchy Roll for this model, I just yelled to my wife " I need to spend $250". She asked why.  I said, because I need to.
My son ( now 14)  comes over, looks and says " yep, he needs to mom."

Its a mishmash show but  all of my introductions to anime as a kid were. Wow! - cartoons wit multi-episode plots, animation that someone actually put some effort into and  you know - giant robots and enemies!  Like the author in the link above I also got up at 6am to watch Battle of the Planets,  and I had the same argument with my Sister over little House n the Prairie in the 5pm Voltron slot..

As always the non-bastardized Japanese versions are always better tan the crap they shipped here,  but  because of that crap I  can enjoy watching them again as an adult.  Oh, and buying cool toys.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 03:54:04 PM »
So  this video is pretty funny as these guys geek out over this.. Mine comes on Saturday. Maybe.  If Akron Ohio is really where its supposed to be right now...(they overflew my city?) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52J8-a_82Yc

This vid is really stupidly long but goes through the articulation and features better than te first
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dxXcfarBts

And if you are into Megazord, turns out the same company is  making one for this summer. These guys in the video claim its sold out .. but Crunchyroll (where I bought my voltron)  still seems to have them for pre-order.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/store/p/188197/GX-72-Megazord-Soul-of-Chogokin-Figure-Mighty-Morphin-Power-Rangers

« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 05:45:19 PM by Weisshaupt »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 06:55:18 AM »
OMG do I feel OLD!

Tonka trucks, Lincoln logs, barrel of monkeys...any of this ringing any bells?

I remember when Lego's were new and came in just a handful of sizes and colors...everything created came out blocky!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 07:52:55 AM »

I remember when Lego's were new and came in just a handful of sizes and colors...everything created came out blocky!

My next door neighbor was a old guy who used to let me trade one of my Tonka trucks for one of his collection - he had shelves of them in the garage - including some awesome fire trucks I could not borrow (those were for his grandkids). I was very disappointed when I discovered I couldnot buy real Tonka trunks for my son as a boy - they are all plastic now. Sorry, that doesn't count.  . He was a really cool guy in a way one could not appreciate at age five -- he had a painted garage floor, a bell you could ring, and if I ever get my garage to smell like his.. I think it was a combination of engine oil and cigar smoke...  as a child I just loved visiting there.   He had trap doors in fences for putting the trash out and had just sorta taken over the vacant lot in back of our houses for a garden where he grew massive squash ( 2-3; long)  and sunflowers.  Sometimes when his grandkids were over he would set up a trampoline or take use for rinds in the back of this old 50's  powder blue ford pickup. He also had a pair of classic Lincolns. There were sort of my adopted  grandparents and probably the first people I encountered who  showed me you didn't need to color within the lines.

But really my whole block was like that.  Another neighbor had tunnels and forts, waterfalls and ponds as part of his landscaping. Another did roses. The entire yard literally contained at least 200 different types. And another had over 50 fish tanks in his basement--  all tropical. Its was like visiting a zoo.  Maybe the older generation was just way cooler than mine.
And I do think there is a connection between a real Tonka trunk and a die cast metal figure, which probably why I am willing to shell out so much cash for one - .  My 15 year old son is eager to open it too.. its for him. No really it is.. yeah, that's the ticket.

Fedex as it out of Akron and is giving it to the US Postal services ( that stupid smart post service)  so it will become untrackable.. Its supposed to be handed off to the local PO , but it looks like right now its in Aurora.. so Saturday is optimistic.  Maybe Monday.  Oh well, I waited since July, another week won't kill me. Probably should stop watching review videos though,.. making me jealous.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 08:22:29 AM »

My next door neighbor was a old guy who used to let me trade one of my Tonka trucks for one of his collection - he had shelves of them in the garage - including some awesome fire trucks I could not borrow (those were for his grandkids). I was very disappointed when I discovered I couldnot buy real Tonka trunks for my son as a boy - they are all plastic now. Sorry, that doesn't count.  . He was a really cool guy in a way one could not appreciate at age five -- he had a painted garage floor, a bell you could ring, and if I ever get my garage to smell like his.. I think it was a combination of engine oil and cigar smoke...  as a child I just loved visiting there.   He had trap doors in fences for putting the trash out and had just sorta taken over the vacant lot in back of our houses for a garden where he grew massive squash ( 2-3; long)  and sunflowers.  Sometimes when his grandkids were over he would set up a trampoline or take use for rinds in the back of this old 50's  powder blue ford pickup. He also had a pair of classic Lincolns. There were sort of my adopted  grandparents and probably the first people I encountered who  showed me you didn't need to color within the lines.

But really my whole block was like that.  Another neighbor had tunnels and forts, waterfalls and ponds as part of his landscaping. Another did roses. The entire yard literally contained at least 200 different types. And another had over 50 fish tanks in his basement--  all tropical. Its was like visiting a zoo.  Maybe the older generation was just way cooler than mine.
And I do think there is a connection between a real Tonka trunk and a die cast metal figure, which probably why I am willing to shell out so much cash for one - .  My 15 year old son is eager to open it too.. its for him. No really it is.. yeah, that's the ticket.

Fedex as it out of Akron and is giving it to the US Postal services ( that stupid smart post service)  so it will become untrackable.. Its supposed to be handed off to the local PO , but it looks like right now its in Aurora.. so Saturday is optimistic.  Maybe Monday.  Oh well, I waited since July, another week won't kill me. Probably should stop watching review videos though,.. making me jealous.

Yes, metal! 

Oh, and I forgot about those little green Army men, GI Joe and replica M-16's without any sissy orange crap on 'em...and replica Colt .45 cap guns that looked dang real too!

My garage now smells like cigars...not much oil...

But I get the nostalgia thing...sights/sounds/smells you'll never forget...perhaps the smell of wood, candles, smoke...and sweat...is why I am thinking of building a tree house at the lake?!

:D

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 11:01:35 AM »
But I get the nostalgia thing...sights/sounds/smells you'll never forget...perhaps the smell of wood, candles, smoke...and sweat...is why I am thinking of building a tree house at the lake?!

I never had a proper tree house. Had access to tree platforms  that others had built in vacant lots in various states of disrepair.
I bought the steel beams and pipe to build a house in a tree (a cottonwood I wouldn't trust to support my own weight)  last year, but other projects prevented me from starting it yet.  Hoping to get it complete before my kids get too old to enjoy such a thing - house part will be 8x10 or so, with a  4 x10  ft outside deck area. Of course if my kids don't enjoy it, I can use it for coyote hunting.. Or maybe even go other there to  work in the summer.. and  I am sure any grandkids will find a use for it. But like Voltron. its something I have always wanted, and there is no reason I can't have it.

Of course,  this is my creedo

https://despair.com/collections/demotivators/products/priorities?variant=2457305091

'

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2017, 11:55:45 AM »
"...my ruins become a tourist attraction."

::laughonfloor::   ::rolllaughing::   ::hysterical::

I'll have to keep that in mind!   ;D

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2017, 09:10:26 PM »
"...my ruins become a tourist attraction."

::laughonfloor::   ::rolllaughing::   ::hysterical::

I'll have to keep that in mind!   ;D

You and me both. I better get started....
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson