Author Topic: Bush's speech upon saddams capture  (Read 2810 times)

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
Bush's speech upon saddams capture
« on: May 11, 2011, 02:06:00 PM »
 I "borrowed" this from one of my bass buddies...he posted this on a fishing forum I visit.

President Bush's Speech Upon the Capture of Saddam Hussein

Commenter "Crusty" had a good idea. He went back and looked at George W. Bush's speech after the capture of Saddam Hussein in order to compare it with Obama's self-aggrandizing "I was practically there, man" speech last Sunday. You know, the one where he used the word "I" like a carpenter uses tenpenny nails. Victor Davis Hanson pulled all the first person references:

“Tonight, I can report . . . And so shortly after taking office, I directed Leon Panetta . . . I was briefed on a possible lead to bin Laden . . . I met repeatedly with my national security team . . . I determined that we had enough intelligence to take action. . . . Today, at my direction . . . I’ve made clear . . . Over the years, I’ve repeatedly made clear . . . Tonight, I called President Zardari . . . and my team has also spoken. . .These efforts weigh on me every time I, as Commander-in-Chief . . . Finally, let me say to the families . . . I know that it has, at times, frayed. . . .”

Compare that with the speech given by George W. Bush on December 14, 2003:

Good afternoon. Yesterday, December the 13th, at around 8:30 p.m. Baghdad time, United States military forces captured Saddam Hussein alive. He was found near a farmhouse outside the city of Tikrit, in a swift raid conducted without casualties. And now the former dictator of Iraq will face the justice he denied to millions.

The capture of this man was crucial to the rise of a free Iraq. It marks the end of the road for him, and for all who bullied and killed in his name. For the Baathist holdouts largely responsible for the current violence, there will be no return to the corrupt power and privilege they once held. For the vast majority of Iraqi citizens who wish to live as free men and women, this event brings further assurance that the torture chambers and the secret police are gone forever.

And this afternoon, I have a message for the Iraqi people: You will not have to fear the rule of Saddam Hussein ever again. All Iraqis who take the side of freedom have taken the winning side. The goals of our coalition are the same as your goals -- sovereignty for your country, dignity for your great culture, and for every Iraqi citizen, the opportunity for a better life.

In the history of Iraq, a dark and painful era is over. A hopeful day has arrived. All Iraqis can now come together and reject violence and build a new Iraq.

The success of yesterday's mission is a tribute to our men and women now serving in Iraq. The operation was based on the superb work of intelligence analysts who found the dictator's footprints in a vast country. The operation was carried out with skill and precision by a brave fighting force. Our servicemen and women and our coalition allies have faced many dangers in the hunt for members of the fallen regime, and in their effort to bring hope and freedom to the Iraqi people. Their work continues, and so do the risks. Today, on behalf of the nation, I thank the members of our Armed Forces and I congratulate 'em.

I also have a message for all Americans: The capture of Saddam Hussein does not mean the end of violence in Iraq. We still face terrorists who would rather go on killing the innocent than accept the rise of liberty in the heart of the Middle East. Such men are a direct threat to the American people, and they will be defeated.

We've come to this moment through patience and resolve and focused action. And that is our strategy moving forward. The war on terror is a different kind of war, waged capture by capture, cell by cell, and victory by victory. Our security is assured by our perseverance and by our sure belief in the success of liberty. And the United States of America will not relent until this war is won.

May God bless the people of Iraq, and may God bless America.

Thank you.

President Bush's speech is completely outwardly directed. He speaks of the momentous occasion and gives all credit to the military and the intelligence community. There is no attempt to highlight his part in the story. Quite a contras
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: Bush's speech upon saddams capture
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 02:13:44 PM »
Yea, but he used to say "nuculur"  ::rolllaughing::

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 02:23:40 PM »
Yea, but he used to say "nuculur"  ::rolllaughing::

And this one says PAW KEEE STAAAN! So there.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

hemm

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 02:24:06 PM »
the difference couldn't be more stark................

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 08:16:21 PM »
Obama is an excellent mascot for the cult of self.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 04:40:20 AM »
Stymie ... The Bride at the wedding and the Corpse at the funeral . If it ain't happenin' to Stymie it just ain't happenin' !

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 06:26:16 AM »
Bush used "I" only two times:
"I have a message to the Iraqi people . . .".
and
"I have a message to the American people . . .".
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 06:48:04 AM »
the difference couldn't be more stark................

No, it really couldn't. But then, if someone had asked me before demonstrating it, I would've assumed the difference, just as it is. Bush is a humble man who understands that it's not all about him.

God, what I wouldn't give for a media that would just honestly compare the two speeches for America as conservative media has done for conservatives. The media are active participants in whatever comes of their shilling for this megalomaniac, and they need to be held accountable when the moment of reckoning arrives.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 07:45:00 AM »
The Fourth Estate has been taken over by Leftist trash and is now a propaganda arm of the Democrat Party, which itself was taken over by Leftists long before.  There is no material difference between the party and the so-called mainstream media.

When the fit hits the shan, will anybody entertain any difference between the two?

Extremely doubtful.

Taking sides and avoiding responsibility for it, in the end, is impossible.

The reckoning is coming, one way or another.

Guaranteed.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.