Author Topic: Mother Nature ain't helping  (Read 3140 times)

Offline michelleo

Mother Nature ain't helping
« on: May 11, 2011, 05:38:02 PM »
So we got the veggie garden planted.  But we've had 85 degree weather (too hot for the broccoli - I'm afraid it may bolt), gale force winds (completely windburning/drying out the leaves on most plants), and now snow and freezing temps (hurting the tomatoes and squashes).  I can't wait for they greenhouse to be built.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Mother Nature ain't helping
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 05:43:43 PM »
So we got the veggie garden planted.  But we've had 85 degree weather (too hot for the broccoli - I'm afraid it may bolt), gale force winds (completely windburning/drying out the leaves on most plants), and now snow and freezing temps (hurting the tomatoes and squashes).  I can't wait for they greenhouse to be built.

It's climate chaos.....

Personally, it is 88 today in Tennessee and I'm lovin' it.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 06:00:35 PM »
Tomatoes - still alive but not flourishing. Onions and garlic seem impervious and doing well. Cucumbers gone. Zucchini Squash gone. Peppers slowing fading. Peas and string-beans growing albeit slowly. Carrots and Asparagus started indoors. Still waiting for spring to arrive.

An ignoble start to say the least.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 06:56:35 PM »

Tomatoes in plastic tubs doing fine. There is no rain and plenty of wind,  they must be watered every day.  Bell peppers maturing very slow.

On mother nature: Recent weather references have been made to Texas 1917, Oklahoma 1934, Mississippi 1937.  Just as we are now aware of the 12 year solar cycle, the longer solar cycle which caused the midieval warming period and the little ice age I think we are in another such cycle and can take reference to the period between 1917 and 1937 for today's weather cycle.  Also el nino and la nina.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 07:06:55 PM by Charles Oakwood »

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 07:02:37 PM »
Tomatoes - still alive but not flourishing. Onions and garlic seem impervious and doing well. Cucumbers gone. Zucchini Squash gone. Peppers slowing fading. Peas and string-beans growing albeit slowly. Carrots and Asparagus started indoors. Still waiting for spring to arrive.

An ignoble start to say the least.

Give the peppers a blast of epsom salt.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 07:40:39 PM »
We still haven't planted anything.  It's very late, I know.  We've been dealing with other issues.

Right now the 13 year cicadas are out in full throat -- what a racket during the day! -- so I'm wondering if we haven't done ourselves a favor.  They're everywhere and on everything.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 09:05:03 PM »
We still haven't planted anything.  It's very late, I know.  We've been dealing with other issues.

Right now the 13 year cicadas are out in full throat -- what a racket during the day! -- so I'm wondering if we haven't done ourselves a favor.  They're everywhere and on everything.

Four years ago grasshoppers came and ate everything.  They ate the leaves off fruit trees, vegetables, ornamental, even the wild sunflowers. They were like mosquitoes.  All the tender plants died and if not for water and fertilizer some trees would have died too.

Not wanting to harm pollinating insects I purchased some "stuff" from a manufacturer/distributor in Colorado who promised it would cause an internal bacteria which would then kill the grasshopper and, grasshoppers being cannibals, its carcass would pass the bacteria to those who ate it.  And within six weeks they would all be dead.

The bait was placed as directed and also placed where it could be observed.  These critters would go to bait and eat, mate, and defecate without leaving.  I had some of the biggest grasshoppers around. Thank goodness for heavy freezes the next two winters.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 09:16:18 PM »
We still haven't planted anything.  It's very late, I know.  We've been dealing with other issues.

Right now the 13 year cicadas are out in full throat -- what a racket during the day! -- so I'm wondering if we haven't done ourselves a favor.  They're everywhere and on everything.

Four years ago grasshoppers came and ate everything.  They ate the leaves off fruit trees, vegetables, ornamental, even the wild sunflowers. They were like mosquitoes.  All the tender plants died and if not for water and fertilizer some trees would have died too.

Not wanting to harm pollinating insects I purchased some "stuff" from a manufacturer/distributor in Colorado who promised it would cause an internal bacteria which would then kill the grasshopper and, grasshoppers being cannibals, its carcass would pass the bacteria to those who ate it.  And within six weeks they would all be dead.

The bait was placed as directed and also placed where it could be observed.  These critters would go to bait and eat, mate, and defecate without leaving.  I had some of the biggest grasshoppers around. Thank goodness for heavy freezes the next two winters.

::gaah::
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 09:57:21 PM »

Netting works. Or you could get your fly swatter and go to town.
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 10:17:17 PM »

Sorta like air guitar but more, it was good practice. Bent the neck on the damn guitar. Plastic you know.  It was too much for a net.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 10:48:08 PM »

Or you could tell us again how contract law still works in this country.

Capa tosto.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 11:19:34 PM »

Or you could tell us again how contract law still works in this country.

Capa tosto.

Tosta!!
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 11:21:47 PM »
Thank yooooooooo.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 11:29:37 PM »
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 04:52:07 AM »

Gays , Lesbians and Meskins in full bloom !

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 06:45:43 AM »
Heck, we just thawed out up here not long ago...haven't even started yet, although my brother has some sprouts under lights well toss in the ground soon.  Finished the expansion now we have to shovel in the new dirt and nutrients.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.