Author Topic: Yummy bread recipe but not for Pan  (Read 43049 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Yummy bread recipe but not for Pan
« on: April 25, 2012, 11:08:53 PM »
because she doesn't like "things" in her food**   ::laughonfloor:: ::laughonfloor:: ::laughonfloor::

link to original recipe

Cranberry Walnut Bread

Ingredients:

Biga:
 1/2 Teaspoon Active Dry Yeast
 1 Cup Lukewarm water
 2 Cups Unbleached, All-purpose Flour
 Bread:
 3 1/2 Cups All-purpose Flour
 1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
 2 Cups Water (Approximate)
 1 Teaspoon Instant Yeast
 1 Teaspoon Salt
 1/2 Cup Sugar
 1 Tablespoon Ground Cinnamon
 Zest From 1 Orange
 1 1/2 Cups Dried Cranberries
 1 1/2 Cups Chopped Walnuts

Directions:

For the biga, Mix the yeast and water together, and then slowly start adding the flour, mixing well.
 Cover with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for up to 6 hours and refrigerate overnight.
 The next day, take 1 cup of the biga (refrigerate rest for another project) and mix together with the flours, salt, cinnamon, orange zest, sugar, and yeast in a large bowl.
 Begin to add water, stirring as you go and add as much water as is needed to bring everything together into a fairly firm dough.
 Stir in the walnuts and cranberries, then dump the mixture out onto a lightly floured surface and knead by hand for 5 minutes until smooth.
 Lightly oil a large bowl and then place the dough in the bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
 Let the dough rise in a warm place in your kitchen until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
 Punch down the dough and divide it into two equal pieces.
 Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
 Share each ball of dough into an oval loaf and place each on a cornmeal dusted baking sheet.
 Cover the loaves with a kitchen towel and let rest 30 minutes.
 Cut three slashes into each loaf with a sharp knife and then bake until the internal temperature of the bread reaches 190 degrees F., about 35 minutes.
 Cool to room temperature before slicing.

Adapted from a recipe by King Arthur Flour

Changes I made:
I already had sour dough starter so I didn't make the biga which is the same thing.  I didn't kneed for 5 minutes.  I stirred it up and left it alone.

Yum.

**I made this just so I could post that. No, not really.  I bought the walnut cranberry loaf at Whole Foods as a treat for my kids (I know I'm weird I buy bread for my kids as a treat and make them eat vegetables and do chores). At 5 bucks a loaf I decided I needed to make it myself.  So I found this recipe that's pretty darn close and for 2 loaves I spend less than 5 dollars.  I put it in 2 loaf pans instead of two round loaves which makes it easier to put in the toaster later when I freeze it.

Luv u Pan.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Yummy bread recipe but not for Pan
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 11:12:08 PM »
Owwwwlol. 

Ya wanna tweak somebody, silly, get it right:  I don't like a lotta food in my food.

I do like King Arthur flour.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 11:16:38 PM »
Owwwwlol. 

Ya wanna tweak somebody, silly, get it right:  I don't like a lotta food in my food.

I stand corrected. You don't like a lotta food in your food.   ::curtsy4::

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 11:20:02 PM »
Owwwwlol. 

Luv u 2, LV.

You don't have a baking stone?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 11:28:59 PM »
Owwwwlol. 

Luv u 2, LV.

You don't have a baking stone?

Have to get another.  Took mine out of the oven a few weeks ago and the thing had broken in two.  Must have gotten some moisture in it I guess. Not sure why else it would fall apart.

I haven't made your italian bread a couple of weeks--need to do that as I'm about out of bread.  As long as I have homemade bread and cookies available I don't get much grumbling about whatever else I might have rustled up for meals.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 11:32:36 PM »
I've heard they do that, just break.  If they're preheated, they will, eventually, do that, I suspect.

My oven was out for a few weeks and we really missed the bread.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 07:37:30 AM »
No food in food?  So no sausage & cheese-stuffed mushrooms?   ::speechless::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 01:40:20 PM »

Sorry, no.

I stuff mine with raw lobster cakes and slap a little cheese on top while broiling.  I wish I could find plain lobster meat; I'd make my own stuffing.  Crab meat is sold frozen and in cans, but no lobster meat.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 07:30:18 AM »

Sorry, no.

I stuff mine with raw lobster cakes and slap a little cheese on top while broiling.  I wish I could find plain lobster meat; I'd make my own stuffing.  Crab meat is sold frozen and in cans, but no lobster meat.

I hear ya.  I love seafood and coldwater lobster rocks!  I usually have a few times a year.  Sometimes I've pre-cooked and then cubed some lobster and freeze it for tossing into rice dishes later, easier with crab meat, but in my favorite ranking I have lobster first, followed by crab, shrimp & fish.

The way beef prices are soaring I may be eating a lot more seafood! 
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2018, 09:39:33 PM »
I was looking for the post where Pan and I talked bread. This wasn't the one but I'm glad I found this one. My oldest has been asking for ages for me to bake that cranberry walnut bread I used to make. I couldn't find the recipe among my saved recipes.  And here it is.

I still use the recipe Pan posted for Italian bread. It's on my recipe card titled Pan's Italian bread. I don't why but I find myself going back to it often. Just seems to turn out the best for me over others I've tried.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2018, 09:40:36 PM »
Good to know and glad you like it.