Topics > Food & Cooking

Ribeye on the Cheap

(1/3) > >>

IronDioPriest:
The Chuck Eye Steak - not to be confused with a Chuck Steak or a Chuck Roast.

Our local grocer began carrying these a while back. It's ALMOST a Ribeye steak. The difference is that a Ribeye is cut from the 6th through the 12th rib. The Chuck Eye is cut from the 5th rib only. It is marbled and tender, very much like a Ribeye. Flavor is very similar. The main difference is the price - often less than half the cost of Ribeye!

They're obviously harder to come by, since there is less Chuck Eye per animal. But because they aren't as popular, the cost is low. Traditionally this piece of meat would just be sold as part of the Chuck Roast. I guess someone got wise to the fact that they could slice off the end of a Chuck Roast and sell it as a steak for more money.

In looking for the above link, I discovered that some folks just buy the Chuck Roast and slice it into steaks themselves, as the entire roast is well-marbled and flavorful. With beef prices as they are, I may have to try that as well.

ETA: Posted this because that's what I'm cooking for dinner this evening.

fordguy_85:
I've been buying Chuck Eye Steaks for several years now in the place of ribeyes. I have also done the roast sliced into steaks, to decent effect...

Libertas:
I like the idea of slicing up a chuck roast.  Never saw a chuck eye in any grocery store I visited...I bet my friends at Anoka Meat & Sausage have it on hand though...I just didn't know to look.

Now I know.  Thanks!   ::thumbsup::

IronDioPriest:
It rained on me last night, so instead of grilling, I ended up doing the reverse sear method... Kosher Salt & ground pepper crust; sit til room temp; 275ยบ oven for 45 minutes; sear one minute per side in cast iron pan. Medium rare throughout the meat, with the exception of the awesome seared crust... Delicioso!

fordguy_85:
Great, now I'm starving

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version