Author Topic: Ribeye on the Cheap  (Read 10998 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Ribeye on the Cheap
« on: September 05, 2016, 04:00:15 PM »
The Chuck Eye Steak - not to be confused with a Chuck Steak or a Chuck Roast.

Our local grocer began carrying these a while back. It's ALMOST a Ribeye steak. The difference is that a Ribeye is cut from the 6th through the 12th rib. The Chuck Eye is cut from the 5th rib only. It is marbled and tender, very much like a Ribeye. Flavor is very similar. The main difference is the price - often less than half the cost of Ribeye!

They're obviously harder to come by, since there is less Chuck Eye per animal. But because they aren't as popular, the cost is low. Traditionally this piece of meat would just be sold as part of the Chuck Roast. I guess someone got wise to the fact that they could slice off the end of a Chuck Roast and sell it as a steak for more money.

In looking for the above link, I discovered that some folks just buy the Chuck Roast and slice it into steaks themselves, as the entire roast is well-marbled and flavorful. With beef prices as they are, I may have to try that as well.

ETA: Posted this because that's what I'm cooking for dinner this evening.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline fordguy_85

Re: Ribeye on the Cheap
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 10:22:54 PM »
I've been buying Chuck Eye Steaks for several years now in the place of ribeyes. I have also done the roast sliced into steaks, to decent effect...
Eric Morgan
"Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed the conviction that these liberties are the gift of God?" - Thomas Jefferson

"Opinions and instructions do not outmatch the Constitution. Against it, they are void." - Calvin Coolidge

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 07:24:24 AM »
I like the idea of slicing up a chuck roast.  Never saw a chuck eye in any grocery store I visited...I bet my friends at Anoka Meat & Sausage have it on hand though...I just didn't know to look.

Now I know.  Thanks!   ::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 08:00:14 AM »
It rained on me last night, so instead of grilling, I ended up doing the reverse sear method... Kosher Salt & ground pepper crust; sit til room temp; 275º oven for 45 minutes; sear one minute per side in cast iron pan. Medium rare throughout the meat, with the exception of the awesome seared crust... Delicioso!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 03:02:35 PM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline fordguy_85

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 08:50:10 AM »
Great, now I'm starving
Eric Morgan
"Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed the conviction that these liberties are the gift of God?" - Thomas Jefferson

"Opinions and instructions do not outmatch the Constitution. Against it, they are void." - Calvin Coolidge

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 09:12:30 AM »
Me too.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 04:49:21 PM »
So I finally got around to experimenting with buying an entire chuck roast and cutting it myself into chuckeye steaks. Just as fordguy says, to good effect! I just carefully cut horizontally, doing my best to cut the roast into two pieces of even thickness. They both ended up about 1 1/4 inches or so.

I believe these were even better and more imitative of ribeye than the precut chuckeyes I’ve bought. That may just be luck of the draw, but nonetheless, this worked very well. Aside from the good flavor, the cost of buying a roast is even cheaper yet than buying the chuckeyes, and as discussed, both are WAY cheaper than buying ribeyes. And to top it off, while chuckeyes seem to be hit or miss as far as availability, there isn’t a grocer around that doesn’t have a chuck roast.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 11:26:16 AM »
I'll have to see if my lovely bride is aware of this. She LOVES ribeyes.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 11:56:19 AM »
 ::thinking::

There's something missing...

Proper trimmings!   ::whoohoo::

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 05:15:48 PM »
::thinking::

There's something missing...

Proper trimmings!   ::whoohoo::

If we could just find a chuckeye version of bacon.....

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2017, 06:59:22 AM »
The solution to that...is more bacon!

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2017, 02:17:45 PM »
Only thing better than bacon is bacon wrapped in bacon. ::bustamove::

Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2017, 05:32:38 PM »
I made a barbecue bacon-wrapped pork tenderloin a few weeks back. It was nummeh.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2017, 09:32:58 AM »
How many times around the tenderloin did you go?   :D

Offline kermit

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2018, 05:37:11 PM »
The MIL, always trying to help out, bought me a standing rib roast. Turns out, the same day, I bought one also.
Fixed hers according to any standard recipe, then took mine and sliced it up into very thick steaks. Froze them until the next weekend and grilled them. Wonderful.