Author Topic: City States of America - GDP - Urban Vs. Rural  (Read 5755 times)

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
City States of America - GDP - Urban Vs. Rural
« on: October 15, 2016, 09:39:52 AM »
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-10-14/visualizing-americas-18-trillion-economy-3-stunning-maps

So if the Russians are targeting the dollar and our economy with the Nukes-- you now know where they will hit.

So, question. Is it good to be in a rural area close to one of these successful  Urban  economic zones when the collapse comes, or worse?

PROS:

High GDP may indicate high concentrations of actual skills, and certainly an accumulation of wealth - Sara Hoyt's "lot of ruin in a country"  -  Unlike Hoyt I don't believe this protects these areas form a crash, but it probably cushions it, as these areas will have more in pocket they can trade as things go south. So  fewer gangs and roaming hordes..

This slow decline may leave enough infrastructure in place that these areas are the first to recover.

CONs:
 A long failure of a successful  City State may allow them to get a police state in place , further reducing gangs and hordes, but increasing the chances the city state will projects its power into the hinterlands trying to seize the raw resources they require

You might be uncomfortably  close to a radioactive hole in the ground.

Others?

From the comments

knukles RogerMud Oct 14, 2016 9:54 PM

Denver.  Where they suck on blanched aldente animal gonads amongst other strange rituals of the mountain dwellers.
Some pretty scary iconography at that airport, too.

tarabel knukles Oct 14, 2016 10:09 PM

Like with most other states, one well-place nuke would really perk the whole thing up.

Twee Surgeon boattrash Oct 14, 2016 11:55 PM

Map #3 is also called the 'where the Robot people live Map.'
and the GTFO while you can Map

SmittyinLA Oct 14, 2016 9:50 PM

Where's the debt map?

ThrowAwayYourTV Yen Cross Oct 14, 2016 10:27 PM

My friend has a great saying. "Three nukes planted perectly on DC would solve all our problems."

scsherman Oct 14, 2016 10:33 PM

This is a terrible way to look at the economy. Most of that "economy" in the big cities don't actually produce anything of real value. The rural area is where the resources are and hence where the real value is. Cities are where most of the people are, and where the resources are consumed. Cities are unsustainable islands that rely on their serfs in the rural areas to bring them everything they need to survive. Most cities would turn into complete chaos if they were cut off for just 24-72 hours. Any longer than that and we are talking about the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people. If you have a brain, you don't live in a city, know how to generate your own resources, and rely on outside intervention only for luxuries or things that reduce your labor to allow free time for leisure activities.

Publicus Oct 14, 2016 10:37 PM

These are nice nuke maps for World War 3.

So no. We aren't alone or unique in our assessments

« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 12:03:49 PM by Weisshaupt »

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Re: City States of America - GDP - Urban Vs. Rural
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 10:27:31 AM »

This might indicate where the failure of federal funds will cause some pain.

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/CNBC/Sections/News_And_Analysis/_News/_SPECIAL_REPORTS/FiscalCliff/Graphics/fiscal-cliff-and-you-fed-fund-per-capita-county.pdf

this is another way of looking at the GDP map ( by size)

http://www.visualcapitalist.com/animation-resizing-us-counties-based-on-local-economies/

And you might notice that  per capita income doesn't correlate very well.  a lot of "Rich" people in Wyoming huh?

« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 12:04:25 PM by Weisshaupt »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 04:00:03 PM »
I'm in a nuke zone, damn..been that way my whole life though...you just gotta know when to go...if there is time...

As for economy, well that shelf life is short...

The DC comment probably the most spot on...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 08:37:29 AM »
Another way of looking at this...

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-12-26/mega-regions-what-if-we-redrew-state-boundaries-today

...these region economic regions are likely to closely resemble Statist Military Districts if pooh meets fan...so you'll know what HQ is oppressing you when the time comes...

;)

That swath of unclaimed territory looks like it is up for grabs...

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 12:38:44 PM »
And you might notice that  per capita income doesn't correlate very well.  a lot of "Rich" people in Wyoming huh?

Think "Oil". That's why the very southwest parish of LA is shown as "rich".
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 11:26:37 AM »
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/purple-america-has-all-but-disappeared/?ex_cid=story-twitter

Question:  Is this shift in voting preference a result of changing attitudes, or people changing geography, and to what extent.

In theory - at least up till 2010 ,  migration was on net to the cities from Rural areas. But what would be most interesting to learn is the prior voting habits of the migrants.

(Not on point, but interesting ... http://datatools.metrotrends.org/charts/metrodata/Dashboard/v2/demographics.cfm?metro=24540

I always love "where do the darkies" live and "show me the money " maps.  And these appear tobe quite detailed to  the county level )

I also found various studies on rural/urban migration.

http://cho.pol.illinois.edu/wendy/papers/sorting.pdf

Take a look at the Portland maps - they show almost exclusive migration of GOP to the hinterlands and the reverse. Also this suggest  Conservatives are about 10%  more likely to say   political affiliation of their neighbors an is important factor when relocating.

This study suggests its a 15 point difference for "consistent conservatives" vs "consistent liberals"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2014/06/13/people-move-to-places-that-fit-their-politics-and-its-helping-republicans/?utm_term=.24a9461119db

That suggests Republicans are much more likely to flee urban areas -- leaving ultra-concentrated Democrats districts -- than Democrats are to flee small towns and leave similarly concentrated GOP districts out there.

All of which reinforces -- and could even expand -- the GOP's "natural gerrymandering" advantage.

Ha.  A problem to "solve" - stupid collectivists.
see also

http://www.people-press.org/2014/06/12/political-polarization-in-the-american-public/

This was interesting-- http://www.people-press.org/2014/06/12/section-3-political-polarization-and-personal-life/pp-2014-06-12-polarization-3-08/

31% of consistently liberal people would be unhappy if a family member married a gun owner, vs  23% of Consistently conservative people being unhappy if they married a different race. Yes, that's right. Liberals more more bigoted against gun owners than Conservatives are against other races.  Put the two categories (consistent and mostly)  together and its 42% to 56%.  And then The Mixed ideology  has 22% against guns vs against marriage by race.  That is  right liberals - you and society are the bigots against a Constitutionally protected right.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 08:37:46 AM by Weisshaupt »

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 09:21:15 PM »
That suggests Republicans are much more likely to flee urban areas -- leaving ultra-concentrated Democrats districts -- than Democrats are to flee small towns and leave similarly concentrated GOP districts out there.

Once again demonstrating who adheres to the Live And Let Live philosophy and who doesn't.  Republicans flee liberal urban areas because liberals are totalitarians and won't leave you be, whereas liberals living in the more conservative rural areas aren't similarly fleeing -- because conservatives aren't subjecting them to relentless antagonism like they do in the reverse.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 06:59:23 PM »
....whereas liberals living in the more conservative rural areas aren't similarly fleeing -- because conservatives aren't subjecting them to relentless antagonism like they do in the reverse.

The Libs are MORE than happy to inflict their will on you.

Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 09:12:25 PM »
They are, and they deserve my will inflicted on them in return ........ and in full.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2017, 06:22:10 PM »
They are, and they deserve my will inflicted on them in return ........ and in full.

Concur. I have the feeling you and my wife would hit it off very well.

But then, you're womenz. So that's a given. ::hysterical::

Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 11:25:42 PM »
What d'you say to the idea you and I would hit if off equally as well.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 06:38:00 AM »
Ack, urgh....aarrrrrrggh...can't...resist...

"What d'you say to the idea you and I would hit if off equally as well."

a.  I'm flattered.

b.  You say that now, wait till you meet me.

c.  Whatsamatta, you?

d.  Gunsmith isn't armed, is he?

Pretty sure one answer is more right than the others, Alan!

;D

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 12:23:07 PM »
Now ya went and made it weird.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 03:31:38 PM »
Yeah, I usual make things worse...   :o

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2017, 07:19:22 AM »
At first I thought this might be a haven worth looking at...

http://www.oregonlive.com/hg/index.ssf/2017/03/now_you_can_own_an_entire_sout.html

...but Oregon full of loons...still to close to Californication...not viable.

Next!