Author Topic: Arvada CO Arrests 11 Year Old ADD Student for "Inappropriate" Drawing  (Read 7394 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Arvada CO Arrests 11 Year Old ADD Student for "Inappropriate" Drawing
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 02:32:24 PM »
During free time in 6th grade I used to make little hang-gliders out of popsicle sticks and paper, and then rubber-band a needle or pin onto the nose of it. Then I'd throw it at other kids. Only drew a tiny bit of blood a couple times.

A kid doing the same thing would be arrested nowadays, social workers would be called, and he'd be put on drugs.

No kidding.

We used the toughest rubber-binders we could find, fixed them to our strongest notebook binder, and launched unfolded paperclips at each other.  Blisters were common.  I guess now days I'd have been tazed, shackled, incarcerated, and drugged into a zombie-like state.

I say my era was light years more civilized.

Excuse me for pointing out that you characterized your era as "civilized" immediately after describing you kids as little guided-missiles, blister-inflicting, launchers.  LOLOLOL!

I get you; I just thought it was funny.

It is kinda funny.  But we policed ourselves, teachers only intervened as needed, and even then didn't call the fuzz on us and have us treated like we were fricken public enemy #1!

And my era was still civilized enough that nobody who held a grudge felt the need to go and get a gun and come back to school and start slaughtering everyone!

I was allowed to bring my Dad's old .22 to school and store it in my locker for use after school in the auditorium for firearm safety training.  Can you imagine that happening anywhere in these United States now?  And look how little respect people have for firearms now compared to 40 years ago!

We lost a lot of common sense over the decades...a LOT!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2011, 02:43:54 PM »
The concept of common sense left public schools decades ago.  People have lost the critical ability to make reasonable judgments of situations and the common sense and clarity that can result in investigating these situations to determine what is and what is not a credible and actionable threat.

This is an artefact of anti-discrimination legislation. It has become a universal maxim in our culture that every decision must be removed from individuals and instead determined by a formulaic and prescribed set of explicit criteria. In other words, the role of an administrator has been reduced to being simply the person who implements what "the script" says, rather than being the person in charge who has the authority to make a reasoned decision based on particular circumstances and their best judgment. The capacity for subjective, reasoned consideration has been all but destroyed on the basis that it enables racial or sexual discrimination.

I think it has had the effect of taking us from the beginning of these rules, when the mandated asinine decisions were made, but those familiar with the situation would more or less throw up their hands in frustration saying "I know this is ridiculous, but our hands are tied" to now, where the same asinine decisions are made but there's not even that small satisfaction of knowing that reasonable people were simply powerless to do otherwise, because the very capacity for reason and judgment has been taken away from people for so long that they just mindlessly follow the script. We are producing an entire population incapable of reasoned analysis or ability to discriminate based on the totality of circumstances and knowledge of unique situations. Exactly the sort of population desired by liberals.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2011, 02:48:01 PM »
We used to fold up notebook paper into the crude shape of a pistol and chase each other on the playground, throwing balled up sheets of paper as the "bullets". We'd probably be committed to a psychiatric ward these days.

And yes, every schoolboy's drawings are violent. I remember doing one in Halloween-themed art class where I drew tombstones with classmates' names on them. I'm sure that would warrant a SWAT team now too.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2011, 02:51:16 PM »
We are producing an entire population incapable of reasoned analysis or ability to discriminate based on the totality of circumstances and knowledge of unique situations.

Exactly.  An O.T. example:

I was in Target last year, arguing with the "Manager" (a young Black woman - I only mention this because .....) about her insistence that I provide proof of age in order to buy beer and lighters.  She wouldn't budge and neither would I, so I discarded the items, shook my finger in face and said "DISCRIMINATION is not a bad word or concept and should be utilized in these situations!"

I doubt she got it.

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2011, 03:02:03 PM »
When my younger son was in 3rd grade we got a call from the school principle. She spoke in deeply measured, grave, and concerned tones. "Everything's fine" she said. "Nothing to worry about".

She proceeded to tell me that my son was threatened with violence by another student in his class.

What could the nature of this "violence" possibly be, coming from a 3rd grader, I wondered? Apparently, he told my boy, "I'm gonna shoot you in the butt."

For that, the boy was sent home until he could be properly evaluated and cleared by the district social worker. The principle offered to send MY son home for the remainder of the day to deal with the trauma of the event (of course I refused). We were offered counseling for Pete's sake.

They made a big hairy deal out of it, when pretty much all that was needed was "Now David, we don't talk like that to our friends".

The funny/tragic thing is, the very day the kid was allowed back into school, I got another call. Same damn thing, only a few days later. the kid says to my boy, "I'm gonna shoot you in the butt!!!"

They actually took him out of the class after that, and I have no idea what happened to the kid. He never came back into the class. Probably put on Ritalin and zombified. OR, his parents may have wised up and recognized that if they didn't get their kid out of there, he was going to be stigmatized by the school system forever.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2011, 03:03:57 PM »
Shoot him in the butt with what?  Rubber band?  Paper clip?  Good grief.

These days I'm sorta relieved we've no children.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2011, 03:59:54 PM »
We are producing an entire population incapable of reasoned analysis or ability to discriminate based on the totality of circumstances and knowledge of unique situations.

Exactly.  An O.T. example:

I was in Target last year, arguing with the "Manager" (a young Black woman - I only mention this because .....) about her insistence that I provide proof of age in order to buy beer and lighters.  She wouldn't budge and neither would I, so I discarded the items, shook my finger in face and said "DISCRIMINATION is not a bad word or concept and should be utilized in these situations!"

I doubt she got it.

We're there. We are in, at least, the second generation of reproduction and we are reaping those rewards. Target, Wisconsin, IDP Jr.; the list is endless.

Offline michelleo

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2011, 04:23:04 PM »
Hauling him off to jail in handcuffs was just stupid.  The school could have discussed with the family and the therapist about the threat this boy might pose to his teachers and classmates.  Suspension or expulsion if deemed a threat would have made more sense.

We've been busy at our house dealing with some acting out from our own son.  He schools from home and we've run into some serious resistance with writing assignments.  The other day he wrote on the board: "I hate my family".  I was affected by what he wrote a lot more strongly than I should have been.  But I recognize he's just a kid lashing out with his immature feelings.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2011, 05:01:17 PM »
Hell we used to bring at first dare I sayPea shooters ans later we had Pea Guns. We would do hard time for that today.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie