Author Topic: Arvada CO Arrests 11 Year Old ADD Student for "Inappropriate" Drawing  (Read 7393 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
http://www.kdvr.com/news/kdvr-arvada-police-arrest-11yearold-over-inappropriate-stick-figure-drawing-20110221,0,7099823.story

Stupid waste of time.  Kid got the full perp treatment though, how nice.  No mention if any officers felt relieved getting such a wanton criminal off the streets...out fo the school...whatever...

Good thing nobody went stark raving insane over the drawings I made throughout all school grades when I was a kid.

And no, I wasn't ADD.  We didn't have that back in my day!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Arvada CO Arrests 11 Year Old ADD Student for "Inappropriate" Drawing
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 12:31:13 PM »
I understand their concern for truly violent 11 year-olds, but this boy is already receiving therapy and was advised to draw a picture in order to vent rather than acting out.

The government is criminalizing kids for being kids, and is responsible through legislation and judicial activism that insists trouble-makers must be accommodated in schools rather than booted out.

If I had school-age kids, they would not be in government institutions.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 12:55:12 PM »
When I was in 5th/6th/7th grade I went through a phase when I drew all kinds of weird things. I was on a kick where I drew ridiculous pictures of my classmates, with the title "Mongoloid" underneath the "portrait". I got really, really - I mean REALLY - good at drawing primate characters from "Planet of the Apes", who were of course labeled as classmates and teachers.

I also drew complicated battle scenes between tiny half-inch-high stick-Munchkins and stick-Goblins. Munchkins were good, and Goblins were evil. Munchkins had circle-heads without the circle filled in - in other words, they were White. Goblins had their circle-heads filled in - they were Black.

The battles took place in and around a cross-section view of a body of water with land (and a castle) on either side. God was in the background shooting lightning bolts out of his finger at the Goblins, and Godzilla was in the background breathing fire on the Munchkins. The water was the battleground, filled with pitched battles implementing all kinds of grizzly scenes and cruelty. Heads being snipped off by a gigantic scissor-weapon, and lifeless stick bodies and heads sinking to the ocean floor. Spears impaling heads. Underwater chainsaws hacking at limbs and heads. An underwater gallows, complete with hooded Goblin executioner. Sharks eating Munchkins. Munchkins proclaiming their peaceful nature, and Goblins proclaiming their evil. Naked stick Munchkin women with naked breasts being attacked by stick Goblins with gigantic phalluses. Each side proclaiming impending victory, while apparently locked in a stalemate.

It's ridiculous to see it written out - and there's even more that I can hardly describe. But ridiculous or not, it's called imagination. It's called being a kid. If any of my kids tried creating such inane drawings nowadays, they'd probably be arrested and we'd be dealing with a social worker.

*sigh* I want my country back. I want common sense back. I want kids to be able to draw pictures without interference from the government.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 12:59:21 PM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 01:33:58 PM »
The kid should be expelled...probably not arrested though. 

"Death to teacher" is crossing the line.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 01:56:58 PM »
The kid should be expelled...probably not arrested though. 

"Death to teacher" is crossing the line.

I agree, he crossed the line. But he's only 11. It seems perfectly feasible to me that in his mind, he was doing exactly as his therapist told him to do - draw instead of disrupt. And the school assessed the situation and determined there was no threat, and allowed him to return to school. It seems like for once, the school tried to apply common sense when so many schools produce victims of "zero-tolerance" policies, but someone decided that just wasn't good enough. I'd like to know what Libtard Einstein decided this kid needed a smackdown by the cops.

You don't haul an 11 year old away in cuffs unless they are an immediate threat, and the school saw no immediate threat.

...And I can't even imagine what goes on in these poor kids' minds - mostly boys - when they are forced to process the idea that something about who they are is so rotten, that they are not good enough to function without drugs and therapy forced on them by the adults in their lives, usually beginning with their teacher, and the school. I'd wanna kill the teacher too.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 02:08:45 PM »
What the kid did is a little disturbing but arrest ia way out there. The kid may.may need help but at age 11 jail isn't going to do it.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 02:13:48 PM »
The kid is already getting help, and his help told him to draw pictures instead of act out.

I guess his mistake was he wrote on the picture, too; stick figures okay, writing wrong.  What a message for 11 year-old boys who traditionally lag behind in literacy.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 02:22:13 PM »
Guess we should all be thankful he was not tazered and mased.

So the kid is allowed back in class, the incident labeled as no real threat, but is arrested at home.....So who decided to go get this kid? Who made the determination there was more to this? Who made the decision to act?

If you ask me, the werong people are under the guidence of a shrink.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 03:38:00 PM »
To me, wishing death takes it to a whole new level.  This isn't Mrs. Johnson is a poopyhead.  This is seriously f***ed up in the head, headcase, psychological issues.  Is is beyond a little Johnny can't concentrate because he has ADD.  He's 11, 6th grade.  He's old enough to know what he's writing.

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 09:41:07 PM »
It's most definitely a lose lose situation. I have to agree with most that the school is run by to many tards. WHat is wrong with people that work in these schools?

Perhaps he needed to attend art class, I don't know for sure but he needed to learn drawing. For certain though, booking the kid was the wrong thing to do.
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 09:50:36 PM »
Every cartoon me and my friends created was violent.  I don't recall portraying a teacher or administrator, but I cannot rule it out either.  We used to draw them and glue them together in long strips, and then pass them to one another during class and "play" them by running them through a square window we cut in our notebooks and pulled them through, laughing, giggling and groaning all the way through.  And boys being boys, the more violent and gross we could make them the better.  I guess I was and in many ways still am an unrepentant criminal!   ;D

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 09:56:55 PM »
It's most definitely a lose lose situation. I have to agree with most that the school is run by to many tards. WHat is wrong with people that work in these schools?

Perhaps he needed to attend art class, I don't know for sure but he needed to learn drawing. For certain though, booking the kid was the wrong thing to do.

The concept of common sense left public schools decades ago.  People have lost the critical ability to make reasonable judgments of situations and the common sense and clarity that can result in investigating these situations to determine what is and what is not a credible and actionable threat.

I seriously doubt this kid was an imminent threat.  But now after being branded a perp, they may have made the situation worse.  Meanwhile, kids dressing Gothic and acting anti-social are probably ignored as long as they are sporting a Hope & Change button/T-shirt.

The school flat out over-reacted, period.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 08:58:19 AM »
During free time in 6th grade I used to make little hang-gliders out of popsicle sticks and paper, and then rubber-band a needle or pin onto the nose of it. Then I'd throw it at other kids. Only drew a tiny bit of blood a couple times.

A kid doing the same thing would be arrested nowadays, social workers would be called, and he'd be put on drugs.

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 09:25:46 AM »

Cuffing him and hauling him to jail is certainly a technique to allay any anger he has internalized.\

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 10:26:18 AM »
During free time in 6th grade I used to make little hang-gliders out of popsicle sticks and paper, and then rubber-band a needle or pin onto the nose of it. Then I'd throw it at other kids. Only drew a tiny bit of blood a couple times.

A kid doing the same thing would be arrested nowadays, social workers would be called, and he'd be put on drugs.

No kidding.

We used the toughest rubber-binders we could find, fixed them to our strongest notebook binder, and launched unfolded paperclips at each other.  Blisters were common.  I guess now days I'd have been tazed, shackled, incarcerated, and drugged into a zombie-like state.

I say my era was light years more civilized.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 10:27:19 AM »

Cuffing him and hauling him to jail is certainly a technique to allay any anger he has internalized.\

Yes, I am sure he is feeling quite validated as a human being. \

More drugs please! \

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 02:02:24 PM »

No kidding.

We used the toughest rubber-binders we could find, fixed them to our strongest notebook binder, and launched unfolded paperclips at each other.  Blisters were common.  I guess now days I'd have been tazed, shackled, incarcerated, and drugged into a zombie-like state.

I say my era was light years more civilized.

Excuse me for pointing out that you characterized your era as "civilized" immediately after describing you kids as little guided-missiles, blister-inflicting, launchers.  LOLOLOL!

I get you; I just thought it was funny.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 02:08:02 PM »
I'm surprised nobody's commented on my Munchkin/Goblin wars. Did I skeer y'all?
 ;D

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 02:11:19 PM »
 ;D

Oooo, yeah, you one scary fella.  BOO!

No, you were a boy-child with a very active imagination and artistic skills.  Normal.  Nothing skeery 'bout that, but it does sound like it would make a very popular video game in today's world.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 02:17:48 PM »
 ;D

Let's just say I won't be asking you to pass the syrup.   ;)