Author Topic: Trump Selects Betsy DeVoss for Educations Secretary  (Read 1944 times)

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
Trump Selects Betsy DeVoss for Educations Secretary
« on: November 23, 2016, 12:33:54 PM »
Betsy DeVos Tapped by Donald Trump for Education Secretary

Nice! Charter School advocate...cup you hand to your ear to hear heads exploding in 3...2...1
Goodbye Common Core & Trans-freaks in the girl's room.

PALM BEACH, Fla. — President-elect Donald Trump has chosen prominent Michigan charter school advocate Betsy DeVos as his secretary of education, one of the first women selected for top-level administration posts in his new administration.

Trump also tapped South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley to serve as U.S. ambassador to the United Nations.

Both Cabinet-level positions require Senate confirmation.

While some cheered Haley's selection, despite her limited experience on the international stage, the DeVos choice faced criticism even before it was formally announced on Wednesday afternoon. Conservatives warned that DeVos, a longtime Republican donor, previously supported the Common Core education standards that Trump railed against during the campaign.

2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline richb

• Established Member
Re: Trump Selects Betsy DeVoss for Educations Secretary
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 02:52:32 PM »
Oh yes,  the educators hate her.   

A few on our side aren't crazy about her either.   She once supported common core. 

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 04:17:29 PM »
Hmm...didn't research her myself - was in & out of grocery stores today for Thanksgiving & caught the announcement on Rush Limbaugh's show - figured that conservative DeVos family would be anti-Core.

Did she "previously" support the curriculum or does she advocate for it now? Or is Trump getting bad direction from the transition team?
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 05:47:34 PM »
I'll feel better if she abolished the dept and job.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 05:48:15 PM »
She sat on the same Common Core advocacy board that Jeb! was on. She has since revoked her support. The question I can't find the answer to is when.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 06:38:01 PM »
She sat on the same Common Core advocacy board that Jeb! was on. She has since revoked her support. The question I can't find the answer to is when.

I got snippets of "previously, but no longer supports" - but the way folks flip on a dime these days...guess it's wait & see OR someone else'll be named.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 07:13:18 AM »

Like Bobby Jindal. He was for it before he was agi'n it.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 11:02:52 AM »
I'll feel better if she abolished the dept and job.

I can't think of a more worthless agency (although there are many, many that come close!). I doubt that we will ever see it but closing those doors would sure warm my heart.

One of our regular bluegrass jams is hosted at a bistro where a lot of "educators" gather. They are emblematic of everything I hold in contempt - haughty, cold, imperious, hidebound - they look down their noses at us when all we're doing is playing music.

They feeeeeeeeeel that they know everything when they demonstrate that they really don't know sh!t. They are the true embodiment of the old adage about putting lipstick on a pig.

I got into an argument with them about abolishing the DOE. Two of them looked aghast at me and one of them actually said, "Do you really hate children that much?!"

I explained that the DOE adds nothing but bureaucracy and wouldn't it be better if the decision-making were done at the local level, not the far-flung indifferent authoritarians in DC?  Their answers proved that they would prefer the dogmatic bureaucratic world - even to one where they aggregate more personal power.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2016, 12:27:12 PM »
Bureaucrats kill children, poison their minds with progressive poison, destroy their economic future and prospects for future liberty, turn our rivers into orange poison, execute their parents on federal lands and in roadside diners...tell them that!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.