Author Topic: "The Good Old Days-They Were Terrible!" A Must Have Book  (Read 5807 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
"The Good Old Days-They Were Terrible!" A Must Have Book
« on: May 14, 2011, 12:05:30 AM »
Many in the green religion profess to yearn for a return to simpler times (almost always certainly before the era of the internal combustion engine). Reading this book provides you with all of the intellectual ammunition needed to refute this ridiculous notion.

I highly recommend it.

It's cheap at less than $12.

Read the comments at the link to get a feel for what's in it.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: "The Good Old Days-They Were Terrible!" A Must Have Book
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 03:03:09 AM »
What I gleaned from the comments is that it's a wonder anyone survived through the time and we need to be oh-so-thankful for government laws and regulations which have themselves provided us with clean, air, water and food.  And garbage pick up.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 05:37:43 AM »
Fossil fuels are the primary reason that so many people are alive today where they would otherwise be dead in "The Good Old Days" ... And that's a fact !

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 01:36:50 PM »
Fossil fuels are the primary reason that so many people are alive today where they would otherwise be dead in "The Good Old Days" ... And that's a fact !
True Pan. Case and point: Old days, it would take a long time for a patient to get to a doctor or vice versa. The doctor was limited to what he could carry in his medical bag. An ambulance was non-existent. If one could be shipped to the town doctor, the ride could just about kill you. Take away all the plastics the medical equipment is made from and what do you get? Anticipation of the Reaper.

I would like to see a reality TV show dedicated to stripping these jackasses of their modern amenities, put them in real ancient scenarios and watch them whither and dither until they cry uncle. ::hysterical::
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 02:00:09 PM »
True Pan. Case and point: Old days, it would take a long time for a patient to get to a doctor or vice versa. The doctor was limited to what he could carry in his medical bag. An ambulance was non-existent. If one could be shipped to the town doctor, the ride could just about kill you. Take away all the plastics the medical equipment is made from and what do you get? Anticipation of the Reaper.

I would like to see a reality TV show dedicated to stripping these jackasses of their modern amenities, put them in real ancient scenarios and watch them whither and dither until they cry uncle. ::hysterical::

OH Hell just pull the plug on a hospital and it's over for most of the people in them. How much equipment depends on electricity produced by coal or oil.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 02:11:42 AM »
What I gleaned from the comments is that it's a wonder anyone survived through the time and we need to be oh-so-thankful for government laws and regulations which have themselves provided us with clean, air, water and food.  And garbage pick up.

No, actually it is a treatise on the miracle of modern life, modern technology and how literally sh*tty life used to be. People were truly dirty. Smelly.  Refrigeration was non existent and sanitary food was impossible unless you killed it or harvested it yourself.

And as we all should know, government regs and laws have appeared in order to curtail the freedom that modern technology has made possible because that's what government does.

The book is great at telling in excruciating detail how great life had become in the mid to late twentieth century and how stupid it was to pine away for a return to "simpler" times. Today's environmentalists, if they could be transported back in time a century or two, would be shocked at how horrid life was when horses were the primary mode of transportation. Or how miserable things were before modern sewer systems, water delivery and purification systems came along. And yet, they romanticize those times as idyllic.

The book illustrates just how bad things used to be and helps to underscore how we take damn near everything about modern life for granted because most of those living today have known nothing else. I personally have never known life without modern plumbing but both of my parents grew up in (rural) households with outhouses.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 02:17:33 AM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 02:35:38 AM »
A more modern example or two of how fast technology changes the landscape:

I was a teenager when "Pong" was the first video arcade game. Prior to that pinball was the staple of misspent youth. And before that billiards, I suppose. We have several generations now that have never known life without video games of one sort or another and cannot conceive of life without several hundred television channels.

I learned how to type on a typewriter. Today you cannot find one. The last time that most of us even thought of typewriters was during the "Dan Rather phony but authentic GWB papers." Ask anyone under thirty why keyboards are arranged in the QWERTY pattern and most of them will have no idea.

For that matter, ask anyone under thirty why we say "dial" a phone number and you will also be confronted with a blank look.

They take all of these things for granted and cannot imagine life without internet access let alone life without electricity, refrigeration or sanitation.

It's all a matter of perspective and this book takes the blinders off in regards to the things that people of our generation(s) have grown up with.

While I'm at it, another interesting book on "how we got here" is How the Scots Invented the Modern World: The True Story of How Western Europe's Poorest Nation Created Our World & Everything in It

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 02:50:51 AM »

Spoiler Alert

The villains in Tom Clancy's book, Rainbow Six are genocidal maniacs who plan to kill off 99% of the world's population via a genetically engineered air borne disease. They justify this mass murder with the notion that humans have "infected" mother earth and need to be purged from the planet in order to save the environment. It's been a while since I read the novel but I seem to remember that their plan involved having all of the elite members of the conspiracy hiding out in a luxury compound in the jungle of South America while the civilized world, now full of billions of corpses, returns to a natural state. The heroes thwart their plan and capture the villains in SA. They then strip them of every vestige of modern life and deposit them in the wild to "get close to nature."

Another story with a sort of similar angle is Michael Crighton's Timeline where the modern heroes are transported back in time to the dark ages where a special forces commando is almost immediately dispatched by a broadsword to the neck.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 02:56:21 AM by trapeze »

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 07:03:00 AM »
Well, the way things are going people might rediscover the joys of the good old days in a more direct fashion.

::)
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

charlesoakwood

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 10:51:02 AM »

They finally got facilities at the camp, a two holer.  Double stank.   ::hysterical::

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 01:13:47 PM »
I was blown away one day when my mother told me she remembered her dad plowing his farm with a mule. She too grew up with an outhouse.  She hated farm life and has no desire to go back to the good old days.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 06:45:32 AM »
Then perhaps like my mother she remembers collecting rain water, banking coal in the furnace, outhouses & chamberpots and all manner of pleasantries!

A few things of the good old days might have been good, like coming across a higher percentage of God-fearing, hard-working honest people who treat people with respect and whose immigrants assimilated into American life...the rest was perhaps not so good.  But we always idealize the positive and downplay the negative, it's just human nature.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 03:26:38 PM »
We got a new fridge last week so Mom told us about their ice box and how her daddy cut a hole in the floor so the melted ice would drain into the ground rather than in a pan they had to empty.

I remember my grandma using a wringer washer.  It was all so odd and novel for a little kid.  I felt like my mom was a walking piece of history--she'd experienced things I'd only read about. But I have no desire to live that way.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 04:52:19 PM »
We got a new fridge last week so Mom told us about their ice box and how her daddy cut a hole in the floor so the melted ice would drain into the ground rather than in a pan they had to empty.

I remember my grandma using a wringer washer.  It was all so odd and novel for a little kid.  I felt like my mom was a walking piece of history--she'd experienced things I'd only read about. But I have no desire to live that way.

As a kid in Sicily our ice box was a galvanized wash tub and burlap sacks to cover it all and keep things cold. That thing about shopping every day for what you needed wasn't as romantic as they make it out to be.

In our town my grandfather was the first guy to have a fridge and the only things in it was what he was going to eat that day and water(he loved cold water). Hell it didn't even have a freezer but half the town came over to just look at it. It even had a locking door so we(kids) couldn't get at his water.

But as far as a farm goes minus the out house and the mule I could do with 20/30 acres and a mostly modern home.
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 04:57:21 PM »
Is a ringer-washer one of those things that looked like two roller pins in a metal frame with a big old geared crank & handle?  My mother inherited one of them from her mother I think, I have no idea where it is now...

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 05:01:54 PM »
Is a ringer-washer one of those things that looked like two roller pins in a metal frame with a big old geared crank & handle?  My mother inherited one of them from her mother I think, I have no idea where it is now...

Yes it is but we had a concrete wash tub built in and mom was happy that she didn't have to use the wash tub all bent over any more.Now we bitch about  laundry with machines that cost anywhere from 900 to 1200 bucks and never get out hands wet.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2011, 05:04:50 PM »

yeap, that's it--she kept it on the back porch--no where for it in the house and she'd lived down south so weather wasn't an issue

the dryer was a clothes line out back  :)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2011, 05:05:56 PM »

yeap, that's it--she kept it on the back porch--no where for it in the house and she'd lived down south so weather wasn't an issue

the dryer was a clothes line out back  :)

I remember those; my Nana had 'em.

Aaaalllll the modern conveniences....
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2011, 05:20:19 PM »
No wonder they had to do a lot of mending!  Between normal wear & tear and running clothes through that beast it's no wonder!

:P

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 09:39:06 AM »
I answered a survey recently about being green.  I don't usually answer surveys but I did my duty and selected every answer that indicated I don't care about being GREEN!

What's called green now is how I was raised.  We saved and reused as much as possible. Being "green" was called saving money--so we could go on vacation or buy a house.  We couldn't afford to be wasteful.  Now being green costs more!

My youngest daughter is on a sports team and with older sisters we have a supply of team gear she can use and we don't have to buy more.  One mother pointed out how we're being green. gag. It's called -- I'm not spending $150 on something we already have just because the team selected a new one with a different styling.