Author Topic: "The Good Old Days-They Were Terrible!" A Must Have Book  (Read 5725 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: "The Good Old Days-They Were Terrible!" A Must Have Book
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2011, 11:03:51 AM »
"Use it up, wear it out; make it do or do without".

WWII.

I turn totally tattered clothing into rags for cleaning, and, although I despise doing it, I rinse out plastic bags (depending on what was in them).  I'm not virtuous; I'm cheap frugal.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2011, 11:51:32 AM »
I was blown away one day when my mother told me she remembered her dad plowing his farm with a mule. She too grew up with an outhouse.  She hated farm life and has no desire to go back to the good old days.

My mother's father was born in 1883 and farmed with mules and horses exclusively until he sold the farm in 1922 and moved to town . The stories of those times , which I grew up with , are the stuff of the Real American Experience .

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2011, 11:54:05 AM »
Is a ringer-washer one of those things that looked like two roller pins in a metal frame with a big old geared crank & handle?  My mother inherited one of them from her mother I think, I have no idea where it is now...

My mom had a wringer-washer ( May-Tag electric ) when I was a kid . She thought it was great . As far back as the late 1980s they were still being manufactured . I had a friend in Houma , La. who sold them .