Author Topic: Pearl Harbor 75th Anneversary  (Read 1400 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Pearl Harbor 75th Anneversary
« on: December 07, 2016, 07:57:46 AM »

It's sad...the list of survivors is dwindling a lot faster in recent years.

There are only about 300 left overall.  There were only 6 left from the Arizona...but last September Raymond Haerry passed away at 94, leaving just 5 - Lauren Bruner (WA), Louis Conter (WI), Lonnie Cook (OK), Ken Potts (IL) and Don Stratton (NE).

Don Stratton you may recognize from commemorative shows, he and Lauren Brunner were saved by a man (see below) who threw them a line that allowed them to get off the burning ship...six were saved by that line.

It is sad too that the history of this nation, a history like this...barely registers on younger generations.  Ray Chavez at 104 is oldest survivor left alive and this may be his last visit to Pearl.  Once these men are gone, there is going to be few left to remember them, few to know the events of this era.  Sadly, forgetting the past seems to be SOP now days.  But there are many of us who will not forget and who will pass our history along.

The unknown sailor on the Vestal that saved Don Stratton and five others has been identified as Joe George and going from rough-house rabble-rouser in trouble to life saver?  Sure, that's what men did back then, even the rough kids lived by the code, he did what he could...and he didn't flinch at hesitating and had no problem disobeying an order that would have left these six men to perish.  He never bragged, he never lobbied for recognition...but once those sailors like Don realized who he was they lobbied for him to receive a medal.  He deserves one, his heirs deserve to see it done.  I don't think it matters to Joe, it should matter to everyone else.  Hopefully it happens.

To all those who fought, died and bled for our freedom, God Bless you all!

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Pearl Harbor 75th Anneversary
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 12:51:09 PM »
When I was at the upholsterer yesterday discussing dates and lead times, he asked me what tomorrow was.  I said 'the seventh'.  He asked 'what else'?  I said 'Pearl Harbor Day'.  (I wish I had thought to say 'the day that will live in infamy'.)  He said 'ahh, a woman who knows her history'.

Bless them all that gave all.

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 08:02:50 AM »
 ::thumbsup::

And thanks to modern forensics, previously unidentified service members get to make it back home.

http://www.wapt.com/article/mississippian-killed-in-pearl-harbor-attack-returns-home-after-75-years/8470262

::USA::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 11:12:19 AM »
Sadly, forgetting the past seems to be SOP now days.

Forgotten's ass. It's being forced down the memory hole on purpose. As long as I live and breath, my children and grandchildren will learn the truth of that day. I just pray they pass it down the line.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson